Return from Truckhaven turkey day 07 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from Truckhaven turkey day 07

That is a sweet picture of RJ going up that climb.

We are going to have to have tube bending party II here pretty soon. RJ, Froader, tbars4, and 90ranjo all need some cages. Im sure there are a few more that I am not thinking of.

Hello? I want one!:wavey:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it is a 'tube bending' party, i'm in too, i'd like to get a bumper made up. BTW, how much did it approximately cost each person for a roll cage last time?

You guys look like you had fun, maybe one day i'll find my way out there. Might be coming out in Dec. for a bit, maybe i should drive/fly the 92 out there :D

Here are some of the pics from my camera..

What kind of camera do you use? Those pics are so unbelievably clear.

I think it ended up being under $200 each.

So unfair. If only i lived closer.

That is a sweet picture of RJ going up that climb.

We are going to have to have tube bending party II here pretty soon. RJ, Froader, tbars4, and 90ranjo all need some cages. Im sure there are a few more that I am not thinking of.

im in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as long as there's someone who will weld my cage for me. im not gonna trust my life and anyone else in my car to my welds. but of course i'll have to try to keep it to the prerunner status cage. meaning alot of tubing going everywhere! :D and i was just talking to dezertnation (offroad shop) about race seats/5-point harness seats for a 2door car (still need to be able to move the seats to get in the back passengers) so when we get a cage, might put those in too :thumbsup:

I think it ended up being under $200 each.

yup it was I checked the old cage building thread and it was like 190.00 for a 4 door Explorer. but steel prices fluctuates like other commodities so who knows what it will cost these days.

but i am in too on this!:D

thats awesome! mines gonna be a massive amount of work. cause im gonna pull the dash and headliner out to put the cage behind it, and go through the body and weld to the frame. alot of work, but i'll do it. just need help with geometry and welding.

pic12.jpg

Gutted.jpg

Cagepillar.jpg

I was under $125 for my ranger. We also had a bunch of extra tube left over. I believe it has been eaten up though. If not I need some for some tube doors :D The ONLY reason we were able to do 5 cages in 3 days (Jefe, stic-o, bkennedy, zukman, and myself) is that everyone agreed to the same basic design and for a basic cage. Zukman was different because he has a sammy. They are a box so it was simple.

For example: All the A pillars are basically the same. Same as the B pillar. My B pillar is the same as the explorers C pillars are just with 4" of extra tube on each end. The key is BASIC AND SIMILAR. Once we got one piece done we would test fit it each truck mae some small adjustments and then bend the rest. We just bent the tubing and did some notching. All the assembly was done at a later time on there own. Mine is still in garage waiting to get welded in.

Now i want a cage, but i need a vehicle that is deserving of one...

camera

Its a canon A520. I believe its 3mp and 4x optical zoom.

I didn't bring the good camera (canon 20D SLR digital) because of all the blowing sand at TH.

~Mark

This is from the cage building party bkennedy fitting
IMG_0066_fixSE.jpg

you just need to get all the tubes bent, the rest is easy;)

cargo2_cage.jpg

Question: About how many feet of tubing did it take for the average 4-door?

Question: About how many feet of tubing did it take for the average 4-door?

it was under 200 feet. something like 170' or something and that was with left over. I think it's all broken down in the orginal thread.;)

Wow so it only cost you guys about $1.15 per foot of tubing? ($ 200 / 175 ft)

Finally made it home about 3:30 AM. Well, at least me, the boy, and the Explorer made it home. Oh yeah, and the Tiki. The F-350 and camper are still in Portland with tranny problems :( I'll update this more later.

Wow so it only cost you guys about $1.15 per foot of tubing? ($ 200 / 175 ft)

yeah I got the metal pretty cheap;) from a place called totten tubes:thumbsup:

The F-350 and camper are still in Portland with tranny problems :( I'll update this more later.
Glad you made it home safely but that's a bummer about the 350, Kevin. How far is that from you?

Glad you made it home safely but that's a bummer about the 350, Kevin. How far is that from you?

It's about 240 miles from me, but my brother-in-law is about 110 mile. He came down ands we flat towed the 350 to a tranny shop that just happened to be off the freeway on that exit and towed the trailer with his 350 to my house. Turns out that tranny shop is the best in the Portland area and the owner has a 350 of his own and frequently tows his 14,000 lb fifth wheel and knows exactly how to rebuild them to last. I believe him since I spent about an hour on th phone with him today quizing his knowledge and he can R & R my tranny as good as any other aftermarket tranny for about $250 more than them, but I don't have to do any labor myself, shipping, core charges, or taxes since it's in Oregon:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought you just droped the explorer and towed the trailer home. I was thinking what a pain it would be to drive that far at freeway speeds with no doors and your tires. :eek: Glad it all worked out though;)

Back