roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread. | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread.

roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread. Back From the Dead & Finished

Well, after some thought and planning, I've decided to go ahead and start the restoration project of my mountaineer. I've been lurking through the explorerforum threads for quite some time. I guess I would call myself an amateur paint/body guy but we'll see how it works out. I'd like to say thanks to "MONMIX" for some influential chime ins and threads that I've studied and added to my book of notes. If you guys notice anything that I should change or attempt differently, just let me know. Constructive Criticism in my book is help, whether it's positive or negative.

I have about 30 hours in her so far and I'm sure plenty more to go. Well, on with the pics!

The Original, yes, those are aviator wheels.
IMGA0246.jpg

The start:
IMGA0154.jpg

LOL
IMGA0171.jpg

Stripped down...

DSCN1287.jpg

DSCN1288.jpg

<
DSCN1283.jpg

DSCN1282.jpg

My kiddies...
DSCN1303.jpg

Little dent repair..
DSCN1292.jpg

DSCN1289.jpg

DSCN1294.jpg

Dent Repair Complete....
DSCN1299.jpg

DSCN1301.jpg

DSCN1302.jpg

More pics to follow from this past weekend........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anymore updates?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Very impresive work! I haven't checked this thread in a long time. It is nice to see it painted!

Yeah!
you ain't kidding...
are you o.k.

Ok, I'm back. Sorry for disappearing like a ******. NY winter put a hold on the entire project, just too cold to do much work especially without a heated garage. I've been re-thinking some ideas and pondering some new ideas. I'm going to start going at this ***** hard within the next week. New pics to come soon.

P.S. thanks for the concerns, it shows that this board is similar to none! Thanks guys.......

Here's a question, last fall I made the mistake of sawing my CATS off and welding in straight pipes. Well obviously in NY with the new stringent Inspections I have to put them back on. So........ I cut them open, hollowed them out and re-welded shut. Only problem now is I have a mess for an exhaust. I'm seriously thinking about replacing the entire exhaust front to back.

Here's my synopsis:

Torque Monster Headers from the block, new down pipes from A-Zone, weld in the hollowed cats, flow master exhaust, to single outlet underneath the running board of the passenger side using the rectangle tip from a camaro. Should look pretty flush. Anybody know what inlet and outlets I should be using? I guess it really doesn't matter since I can customize to my own specs. I was checking out the flowmaster 40 series muff. I really don't care about the noise, at least it'll sound nice.

Another question.......Has anyone seen a nice set of Ford Racing valve covers around? I need to do some engine clean up.....

Thanks!

Nice to see ya back.

We'll after your done practicing on yours, when can we all bring our x's over!! Lol, Momix and you can show us how to do a total makeover. Great thread btw. Keep it going.

Ok finally have some time to get going on this project. I was able to sell my IS300 which is now out of sight, out of mind. One car in the garage with no other complications, maybe, with the exception of the girlfriend. Anyway, few small updates. I started on the motor, got my torque monster headers which I'm looking forward to checking out as soon as I get it back on the road and some other small goodies. I basically want to clean up the engine bay a little bit, it's got about 9 years of dust and grime in there. Few pics.....

SANY0038.jpg

SANY0039.jpg

SANY0034.jpg

SANY0037.jpg

Just a before pic.......
SANY0043.jpg

OK, motor is complete. Nice and clean, did a quick tune up, TQ Headers are in and running nicely, new upper/lower intake manifold gaskets, I had to replace the EGR valve while I was in there because it was rusted solid, newer OEM Valve covers, repainted the intake manifold, throttle body, plenum cover and some other small crap, new pro flow MAF. Let me know what you think......

Before
SANY0044.jpg

SANY0041.jpg

During
SANY0053.jpg

SANY0058.jpg

Before some new color
SANY0054.jpg

Manifold painted "new ford gray"
SANY0060.jpg

Complete, overall I'm pretty happy
SANY0064.jpg

SANY0067.jpg

SANY0068.jpg

SANY0063.jpg

Back