Scott B's 93 Ranger XLT V8 | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scott B's 93 Ranger XLT V8

I picked up a Blue Sea Systems ACR (Automatic Charging Relay) for the second battery.

This device will keep the 2nd battery isolated from the main battery, keep the 2nd battery charged, and allow for starting of the truck if the main battery is dead.

And, it is really simple to wire!

Attachments

• ACR.jpg
    ACR.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 940

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Busy weekend!

It started with new tires.

BFG KO 32x11.50-15

This size is getting hard to find - but these were in my basement!

Attachments

• NewTires.jpg
    NewTires.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 1,023

I continued with wiring in the bed of the truck.

I wired in the air compressor and the fridge power plug. I made a panel to mount a fuse block and relays - this panel slips into the compartment where the battery resides.

Only 2 circuits now, but plans for several more.

Attachments

• FuseBlockPanel.jpg
    FuseBlockPanel.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 892

Lastly, I added a gauge to my air tank and finished plumbing it.

Attachments

• AirTankPlumbing.jpg
    AirTankPlumbing.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 1,014

Big improvement! Love it.

After close to 20 years, I finally got around to changing the steering wheel.

I never cared for the original, and it was getting worn.

This one does not have cruise control buttons - you can get an add-on that straddles the lower spoke. The add-in is ugly and quite expensive. I mounted 5 buttons/switches on the dash for the cruise - all I need to do now is wire them.

Scott needs a CB handle. Suggestions?

Refridgerator Mounting

I have completed the "fridge mount slide out tray". It came out pretty good, if I say so myself.

The first pictures shows the platform with the newly removable platform section in place.

Next, you will see the piece removed. This shows a clear view of the sliding tray.

Next, the tray is pulled out.

Lastly, you can see the bottom of the tray, and the fridge mounting bolts.

Attachments

• SP4.jpg
    SP4.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 810
  • SP3.jpg
    SP3.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 817
  • SP2.jpg
    SP2.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 812
  • SP1.jpg
    SP1.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 817

Here, you can see the fridge mounted and in place.

I will post another picture once I re-install the platform in the back of the truck.

Attachments

• SP5.jpg
    SP5.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 807
  • SP6.jpg
    SP6.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 803

Scott where did you source the fuse panel? Very nice work!!

Scott where did you source the fuse panel? Very nice work!!

It came from Blue Sea Systems - link

All their products are marine grade - very high quality. The Automatic Charge Relay I am using with the 2nd battery is one of theirs also.

Most of their products can be found on eBay from various sellers for less than list price.

New Taillights

I replaced/upgraded my taillights. After 19+ years, they were not bad shape, especially considering how much off-road use they have seen. The left lens was cracked and chipped, the right one was solid, but showing its age.

The lenses I swapped to are for a 2000 model truck, with a single bulb taillight. Fortunately, the housing is identical to a 1998-99 housing (which is a 2 bulb setup.) All I had to do was drill the uppermost compartment to accept a bulb.

Here you will see before, after and a closeup.

Attachments

• TL1.jpg
    TL1.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 796
  • TL2.jpg
    TL2.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 784
  • TL3.jpg
    TL3.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 778

J-Hooks

I finally installed the j-hooks I bought some time ago.

Before and After:

Attachments

• J-hook2.jpg
    J-hook2.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 783
  • J-hook 1.jpg
    J-hook 1.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 774

Wiring 2nd Battery

To wire power and ground to the second battery, I needed to run 4 gauge wire through the side of the bed. I found a marine fitting, called a Cable Clam (first picture,) to isolate/insulate and waterproof the cable through-hole. These things are pretty cool - overkill, but what on this truck isn't!

Here are the cable clams (by Blue Sea Systems), the base installed, the top part and cable installed.

Attachments

• CableClams.jpg
    CableClams.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 795
  • Clams Base Install.jpg
    Clams Base Install.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 779
  • Clams Install.jpg
    Clams Install.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 768
  • Clams Install 2.jpg
    Clams Install 2.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 756

Headlights

After almost 20 years (and multiple cleanings) I decided to replace the headlights.

I ended up getting a set from Anzo. These are not made in America :( but are DOT approved. And, they don't look too obnoxious. We'll see how good the light works once it gets dark.

Attachments

• Headlights New.jpg
    Headlights New.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 750
  • Headlights Old.jpg
    Headlights Old.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 768

Fuel Can Swingout

In the interest of carrying more and more conveniently, I am adding a second swingout to the rear bumper. This one will carry 2 five gallon cans - either fuel or water.

I went back to Comp 4x4, and got one of their face mount hinge kits. (Photo 1) This design allows me to mount the carrier to the face of the bumper (as opposed to the edge). A nice advantage here is the ability to easily remove the swingout when not needed. (Being that there are now 2 swingouts to move to get into the back of the truck, I plan on not having the second carrier on the bumper except when I need it - on long excursions.)

The next photos show the shear mounts on the bumper. I modified the mounts slightly. This is all that will remain on the bumper when the carrier is not attached.

Attachments

• dual-shear-face-mount-tire-carrier-hinge-03.jpg
    dual-shear-face-mount-tire-carrier-hinge-03.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 648
  • FCSO4.jpg
    FCSO4.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 741
  • FCSO5.jpg
    FCSO5.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 737

Here is the swingout, so far.

Two plates will mount to the horizontal bar - these will hold the fuel can carriers. A latch will be added to the left side, to keep the carrier tight against the bumper/other swingout. I also need to add some gussets to support the horizontal piece.

More progress today/tonight.

Attachments

• FCSO1.jpg
    FCSO1.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 732
  • FCSO2.jpg
    FCSO2.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 728
  • FCSO3.jpg
    FCSO3.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 739

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Looking good and I know you are in a hurry to get it done before your trip..:biggthump

...Are you going to add a plate with a piece of rubber for it to rest on or will the latch be it's sole support on the end?

Back