The Black Hole | Page 182 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 3327 has been selected as best answered.

Whats In A Name?

It was hot humid august night. The winds have all but vanished. I was doing my best to keep the sweat out of my eyes. The A/C was dying in my 94 Explorer, lovingly named "Pugly", and there was no relief in sight. I decided it was time to stop throwing good money into bad. I was gonna do the unthinkable,.......I was going to commit the most heinous crime of them all! I was going to trade Pugly in for a newer model! Oh the heart break! The insanity of it all! I couldn't believe the thoughts were even going through my head.

I managed to get the old girl back home, to her resting place. She seemed at ease in her familiar surroundings. I had to come up with an explanation to let her know of my evil plan. So i just gave her that old wink and grin that she likes to see from me as we made it back home from another day of adventure in the treacherous Midwestern terrain. I did my best in hiding my cynical thoughts, as I walked around to her rear flank and gave her that little pat on her bumper, as I always have when we part for the night.

The next morning I gave her a real good bath, cleaned behind her mirrors, and brushed her grill. She still looked pretty good for her age. Oh sure she had the tell tale signs, gravity has got its firm grip on her, and I am not the best cosmetics guy in the world. she didn't seem to mind too much, she still kept her nose up and drove with pride.

After looking at many vehicles I just could not find anything that had the same feel as my old girl. Then it happened! Was I seeing a mirage? Was I so desperate to find another rig that I was blinded by insanity? I found my replacement! I quickly made a sale with the owner, and brought it home.

When I pulled in the driveway, my heart sunk as I looked into the yard to see my 94 looking at me in disbelief. She was sunning herself in the grass looking all shiny and then, she just looked away from me. My heart was tearing in two. I parked the new rig, and walked up to her and gave her a soft spoken "Hello". No reply. I tried to tickle her mirrors, no response. The tension was so great, you could have cut it with a 32 count fine tooth hacksaw. I had to explain to her that she gave me great satisfaction for many years, and we made a terrific team together, but the time has come for her to just relax and enjoy her final days. She finally revved up, and understood, her days as my work horse has ended (so we thought).

I introduced her to her daily driver replacement. The shiny new(er) next generation of her kind. The 95 Explorer XLT. She warmed right up to it. Before you know it they were swapping stories. Now I had to ask her for help. I needed a name for the new ride,
so I went to find her, and what did I see? Those two were grill to grill in the driveway. rubbing chrome! I had to get the water hose out and break them up! Sheesh, she was acting like a girl at the prom dance! I let the name thing drop for awhile.

The new(er) Ex needed to get its shots, and a physical. When I got the word on it's health, I about had a coronary. "What do you mean Doc"! I yelled. "Your kidding right"? I asked. The Doc just shook his head and gathered his tools. As he walked away, He said it had a 50/50 chance of survival. My stomach knotted up, my teeth ground, my heart raced, and I could feel the energy build up as I let it all out, "Why! Why! Why did this have to happen"! I screamed.

The prognostic exam from the doc was as such. It had a blown steering rack, the shocks were gone, the brakes were non existent, front sway bar was cracked in half, the 3rd brake light was out, none of the windows or the moon roof would work, the door locks were broke, the rear end LS clutch pack was burned up, the tires were all in need of replacement, the spare was a Firestone recall and flat, the engine had a nasty tick to it, the TPS was shot, the MAF was corroded, the battery had a dead cell in it, the hood shocks were not working, the rear hatch lock was jammed up and you couldn't open it with out a key in the lock, The carpet was stained to no repair, the rear window wiper didn't want to work, and we could not tell what year its engine swap came from. it was a mess, to say the least.

I went in the house to get my gun. I was gonna just put it out of its misery right there and then. I suddenly realized I was out of ammo, from shooting at the jeep that was in my field. I went to the computer to find a place to buy some cheap ammo, and I stumbled across this website, explorerforum.com that said it could heal any ford Explorer no matter what the problems were! I jumped for joy, I could not believe the things I was reading! I wore out the search button, asked a bunch of questions. I quickly broke out my pen and paper, feverishly writing down things as I was learning! I had found a cure for everything that was wrong with my new transport. It was a Godsend, an angel from the SUV heavens!

I sprung into action. I worked day and night, Pugly was right by my side the entire time, helping me in any way she could. I never seen this side of her, and was really amazed at how well she handled the pressure. She gently squeegeed the sweat out off my fore head with her soft wiper blades as I worked away. After an entire weekend of work, I collapsed. I needed some rest, and so did the 95. The sun crested over the hills, and awoke me to a new day. I shuffled my feet to the window facing the driveway, peeled the drapes gently back, and peered out at the 95. WOW!
It had a its color back, and was looking great! Now as the time went on, (and most of my paychecks), and the selling of almost everything I own, for funds to get the 95 to its former glory.

After some time to reflect on this name thing, I strolled up and whispered into Pugly's passenger side mirror, and she giggled with delight.

I climbed up onto the front bumper in my pajamas and robe half opened, with a cup of coffee in one hand and the daily newspaper in the other, I raised my arms with out stretched hands and proclaimed the new name of the 95.

BEHOLD...........THE BLACK HOLE!!!!!!!! (Then the neighbor yelled at me to close my robe)

The End................(or is it just the beginning?)

Actually, only some of this really happened. :D

View attachment 324381

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went back a ways looking at all the work you've done and notice this post so....

Ummm....... What NAPA part number for a 10" extension soft line?
Napa Part # 25160

Works perfectly for 1st & 2nd gens.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thanks, I may pick one up and use it til I get the braided stainless steel lines.

Old Man winter is upon us. Managed to fix the reverse light feed for the 7 pin trailer plug, before the freeze.

I had it spliced into the charge wire for the trailer. Problem with that, is the smart charger only sent power to the House batteries when needed, and never sent power to the reverse light relay when needed. Lesson learned. LOL

Ran another 10awg from the rear mounted relay, to under the rear seat (dr side) where I have a 4awg relay box for the stereo amps. 5/16 hole drilled, grommet inserted, nice & snug fit. Used a 7 pin tester, and Bob's your uninvited dinner Uncle. Full dedicated (well with stereo off) battery power, to the powerful back up LED trailer lights.

Also managed to install a new emergency hood release wire, and changed the oil/filter.

Going to a Toys for Tot's run at an Off Road park this coming weekend, and bringing the trailer. Will be below freezing, but it's for a good cause, and a good group to be with. Last time out until Spring. Gotta go!

Happy Halloween everyone! 👻🧛‍♂️🎃🦇

Seen these today. They give 47* angle (stock is 23*), and a slip joint that gives 40mm of extended length, during articulation. 🤔

TRAKMOTIVE FD8004XTT.png

Wow that looks sweet.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I like! Slip yoke cv axle
I wonder how much width it can handle (40mm!!) that is quite a bit
I wonder if it can be modified for more.........

I need measures of the shafts on them, to see if they will clear my coils. If they do, I will give them a try. Breaking 2 dr side axles, 2 days in a row last year in moab made me buy shorter limit straps, and change lower mount locations. Would love to increase travel, and not lose it, by doing that. Lol

I like that too, more options are great. Let us know if you think they are an improvement, I'd like to find something reasonable above the low end stuff.

Thanks Greg, now there's something else I need to spend $350 on.... hehehe. Seriously, they look great. May have to get a set myself, just for increased durability

I need measures of the shafts on them, to see if they will clear my coils. If they do, I will give them a try. Breaking 2 dr side axles, 2 days in a row last year in moab made me buy shorter limit straps, and change lower mount locations. Would love to increase travel, and not lose it, by doing that. Lol

I remember Johnstone telling me he was going to run the Crown King trail alone. I said it wasn't a good idea, but he said he had plenty of spare axles. That night I got a call from the Sheriff's office telling me that Johnstone was stuck and had used all his spares!

I hope these will work in your application Gregg.

I never ever, go out on anything hardcore alone. It's not worth it to me. John was an animal and tackle anything alone. Lol

I carry brand new spares, not used ones as well. That is also something to think about if I go to these. I carry stock spares, and I would have to change my limit straps to adjustable upper mounts.

Another thing is the BTF UCA will hit the coils on too much droop. Really need a set of offset arms, with an angle on the ends to clear the coils with extended droop.

It's always something!!

Well..... Trackmotive got back to me this morning with the CV measure for the slip joint. It's 49mm on the inner shaft.

I haven't yet had the chance to see if it will clear or not. More than likely I will have to buy a set and just try them to see how the slip clears upon articulation travels.

The slip looks to not be spline, but ball bearing.

image001.png

Took a front wheel off today, to have a good look at the CV shaft gap to the coils. There is over a 1" gap with wheels pointing straight.

Cv shaft to coil gap.jpg

The Stock CV center shaft is 1.125" wide. Those slip shaft CV's have a 1.93" wide shaft.

Turned the wheels to lock, and checked the gaps on both sides. There is 0.50" gap at resting height.

Looks like there will be aprox 1/2" gap left using those Slip shaft CV's, BUT....... I'm not completely convinced they will clear under full compression. Good thing up travel is very limited with this setup! 👀

The Coil over shocks are at an angle, and lean to the rear, at the bottom. Meaning that the coils get closer to the shaft the higher it goes. Front-> \ <-Rear.

It's a gamble, but one I think I will try soon.

While doing this, I noticed something needing attention. Lower arm bushings are shot.

Dr rear LCA bushing shot.jpg

I could just replace the bushings, and not have to re-do a new set for the coil over brackets, but I have other plans.

I have always wanted to weld some skids, to the underside of a new set of LCA's. Here is my chance! 😂

Always Something! 🤪

I've considered that... You mean enclose the lower portion of the LCA as much as possible while still allowing access to the ball joint, shock bolts, etc.?

I've considered that... You mean enclose the lower portion of the LCA as much as possible while still allowing access to the ball joint, shock bolts, etc.?
Box in underside with plate, and raised angled lips front and back. Access for hardware is a must, so yeah.

I believe I might have smacked the arms a few times to many. Skids have always been wanted, and even had someone look into doing it a few years back, but didnt happen.

BTF also said they would do it if I sent them a set of arms, but no idea on the cost.

This is something I feel I can give it a go myself now. Press, plasma cutter, welder, done.

Yeah, you need to revamp a set of LCA's yourself. The aftermarket ones are great with a stronger BJ I guess, but you can weld as well as they can I'm sure.

I looked at napa premiums with their prograde bjs and they want $172 each. Um.... nope. I have orher choices still.

I own premium bjs I can swap into a set of arms with standard joints, and keep the good premiums in it now for spares.

Still in the thinking stage here. If I don't find something suitable, I can always replace the bushings in the old ones and Weld on them.

Worse part of all this, is an alignment will be needed. Dang coilovers, lol.
I have the absolute worse luck getting that done correctly around here. Think I'm down to an off road shop who charges $275 for one. Ugh...

That's crazy for the alignment, you need a bigger choice of places to go. My old shop changed hands two years ago, the father retired and a nice younger couple bought it. The shop used to do everything, though they rarely got serious off road machines. I'm going to need a lot of work done this year, I hope this "new" place is as good as the old group of techs.

That is a lot for an alignment. Think the Firestone I go to for that is just under $100 for an alignment, or you can do like I did and pay like $150 for a lifetime alignment, I just bring her in and they do it for free from now on. Worth it to me, take a look and call around to other places, because that really is too much. But I think if my truck was more offroad setup like yours, they may look at it and said no, not happening, but my current setup they're okay with.

I'm down to the off road shop because, I have already exhausted the other shops. Lol

I have a lifetime alignment already paid for, but the techs there, the last time I was in, took over 3 hours on it. They wouldn't listen to me, when I told them not to use the stock parameters for their fancy high tech machine, and do it the old fashioned way. They got it close, but not perfect. Manager said he was refunding my money and not to bring it back. Lol

I let them keep the cash, and left.
The only other place left is one if those shops that basically install bolt on aftermarket parts, and work on axles. They know they are the only ones left, and raised the rates, by tire size. I don't even want to know what they charge someone with 40's. These 35's are too expensive to take anywhere far on a misalignment, and not worth ruining them.

I set toe to 1/8" in at home, then take it in. Camber is the hardest part on these sla setups. That's fine for short trips, but longer trips, at hwy speeds, will tear them up. Is what it is I guess.

Back