'97 V8 D60/70HD swap.....finally | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 V8 D60/70HD swap.....finally

Well, it all started with me breaking an axle on friday. Had to drop the diff to get the broken shaft piece out. Then the seal was ruined as well, scrapping a trip that i had planned for 2 weeks in advanced for on saturday.

I was thinking, why waste 50 bucks on the ifs axle when im gonna be ripping it out shortly. So i called my buddy and we started tearing into the mounty at 6:30 pm until 10pm, and monday from 2-10pm. We are on hold for parts so we can make brackets.

I have 2 Rustys off road 180 pound coils, 24" extened, we calculated that it should be around 18 inches compressed. As for the suspension design, its getting a triangulated 4 link. It kinda helps when you are friends with a suspensions engineer.

Well heres the progress so far. More to come next monday.
1185331202.jpg

1185325202.jpg

1185325203.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rear axle progress.
got the pass. side on during my study break. Tomorrow i will bolt and weld them in permanently once i get back from my exam.

Attachments

• PICT0013.JPG
    PICT0013.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,179

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Oh yeah...Love to see work getting done. Gonna be a sweet rig. Now im gonna have to look for bigger axles myself ha ha

... updates? dont do what i've done and collect 90% of the parts and let all of it sit in the garage untouched for months.

p.s. this is also my way of subscribing

suscribing!

does the d70 use the same disc brake kit as the d60? i'd imagine that it uses 9/16 studs, so i would need different rotors, but i'm just trying to figure out how much i'd be able to salvage if i ever need to convert to a d70. i read somewhere that the diff covers are the same.

yup covers are the same. I think your rotors will swap over without a problem.

i will have pics later in the day. I was up till 5:30 am working on it and i feel a teed bit lazy right now.

How the hell can you go through finals with a project like this on your hands?! I'm a student and i sure wouldnt be able to, i would never put any of my time into studying. Anyway, im lookin forward to seeing this thing.

these are a couple days old. As of now the links are all attacked to the vehicle. Some reinforcemnt ribs are going on the upper link cradle tonight. Also, the coil bucket reinforcer plates will be welded on, and the mounty may be sitting on its own tonight...hopefully.

Now that im using a plasma cutter, cutting odd shapes has become a breeze.

More pictures will be posted when i get back from work.

Attachments

• 100_0917.jpg
    100_0917.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 648
  • 100_0921.jpg
    100_0921.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 656
  • 100_0918.jpg
    100_0918.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 669
  • 100_0925.jpg
    100_0925.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 655

OMFG those axels are HUGE! Are those your 37's?

that thing is freken sick, looks like a great build so far

oh p.s. your tire is flat :p

WOW..... i knew my wheels would stick out far... but now i really see about how far mine will be....i LOVE it. keep it up man! I haven't bought anything except for my coils as far as suspension, so if yours turns out real well(which it looks like it is definitely going to) i might just steal your setup. Did you buy the plasma? or borrowing it? i've been thinking about getting one of those $4 or $500 pirate specials. They are supposed to be amazing especially for the price.

edit: your welds are pretty impressive too from what i can see.:thumbsup:

edit #2: what did you do for the rear brakes? did the d70 disc brake kit use 75 chevy 3/4 ton rotors and calipers like the d60? are you running hard lines or soft lines? I was hoping to beat you with the swap, but now i'm glad you are way ahead, so i can pick your brain. :D

edit #3: did you use a conversion u-joint for the rear axle to go from the 8.8 driveshaft to the d70 pinion? is the stock driveshaft long enough?

The truck looks very good. I'm excited to see a finished product. I wish I would have chose some overkill axles like you did. Now you have much more options in the future. Nice work.

I hate you ........

Just kidding....

That looks so good. Man the width of the axles is impressive

That thing is WIDE!!! Looks great man.

maybe this is a dumb question but how are two 180lb coils going to support the weight of a v-8 front end?(also my way of subscribing)

Wow, that thing is huge:D Can't wait to see the finished product.

I hope the local law enforcement has a good sense of humor:eek:;)

Back