97 Sport build number 2 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Sport build number 2

Reaching top of highest peaks (for most part) pics from today's adventure.....where some fear to venture :)

TOW2 (2).jpg TOW2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

/\ In Corona, CA.... the last "local" spot left in So Cal without a 2-3 hour drive to get to...

/\ In Corona, CA.... the last "local" spot left in So Cal without a 2-3 hour drive to get to...
WOW The Smog is unreal there now. I grew up in the High Desert back in the 80's to early 90's. Left So Cal in 93 and haven't been back.

To be fair that is mainly dew / fog.... now drive west to L.A. and that is indeed all smog!

*I plan on going here every weekend (Lord willing) until the wheels fall off this rig! .... get in as much wheelin before the DEVELOPERS MOVE IN to build condo$....like what has happened to every other inch of So Cal.

Got a lot closer to getting my Roof Rack completed. Used left over fence slates from my dads old fence. Will be sanding it down and adding a stain to keep them looking nice. Here is what she looks like now.
New 97 55.jpeg

The extra wood there is for a project at my house. Very happy with it so far.

That was a great idea making that out of slotted metal framing, for the unlimited hook strap locations/positions. I might have to copy you :)

That was a great idea making that out of slotted metal framing, for the unlimited hook strap locations/positions. I might have to copy you :)
Thank you. I was looking for a way to make it with out Welding and cheep. I seen a lot on Google Search showing them making it with Pipe. I had this laying around and figured I would use this. My Middle cross member is from a bed frame :)

SO for now till I get a new engine or replace timing chains my EX is down for the count. I was on my out to wheel a little and had a light. Heard nothing but rattling non stop rattling. Turned around to get home and engine died on the way back. Rolled her up into an Autozone and a buddy towed me the rest of the way home. Very sad that she is down and not running. She was a lot of fun to drive. Got the tear down a little started with her. Already miss my EX LOL
New 97 56.jpeg

Oh man...sorry to hear that....those blasted SOHC's! :confused:😐 ....well when you get her back going you'll be on a fresh start with new chain guides etc...or something you know you'll get some significant longevity out of.

SO for now till I get a new engine or replace timing chains my EX is down for the count. I was on my out to wheel a little and had a light. Heard nothing but rattling non stop rattling. Turned around to get home and engine died on the way back. Rolled her up into an Autozone and a buddy towed me the rest of the way home. Very sad that she is down and not running. She was a lot of fun to drive. Got the tear down a little started with her. Already miss my EX LOLView attachment 424529
Sorry to hear man, I'm almost in the same boat with mine. Only a matter of time now, been pushing my luck for some time now. Issue is trying to find a place willing to do it

Sorry to hear man, I'm almost in the same boat with mine. Only a matter of time now, been pushing my luck for some time now. Issue is trying to find a place willing to do it
Hope yours lasts a while. I was trying to have mine last longer. Oh Well. Pull this motor put in a newer motor and rebuild this one.

Nice!

I have a way to take care of those
Flashing 4x4
Lights if you ever wanted to do a real control trac delete you can bypass the gem module completely

We use a 2002+ ranger stand alone 4x4 control module and wire it in. This is know as the “Motorola box”
Ford finally took the 4wd controls away from the gem module in 02, you can find the Motorola controller in several fords 2002+ with the 2wd, 4 and 4 low dash switch.it works with your existing wiring dash switch and t case motor
I call this the control trac delete I have done several explorers over the years I love it

Pretty simple to wire up since all of the wires already exist at the gem

Can also use to build 1354e and 4406e rangers and explorers

We use a 2002+ ranger stand alone 4x4 control module abs wire it in. This is know as the “Motorola box”
Ford finally took the 4wd controls away from the gem module in 02, you can find the Motorola controller in several fords 2002+ with the 2wd, 4 and 4 low dash switch.it works with your existing wiring dash switch and t case motor
I call this the control trac delete I have done several explorers over the years I love it

Pretty simple to wire up since all of the wires already exist at the gem

Can also use to build 1354e and 4406e rangers and explorers
Thank you sir I will starting looking into that and getting one so I can get it wired in. Seeing as my truck is down for a bit and it is getting to be winter here may as well get her ready for the next wheeling season. Again thank you sir

Just wondering, If my engine went out while I was driving. Would I be able to replace the chains and out back in? Or is my motor shot and I need to replace it? Thanks in advance.

Just wondering, If my engine went out while I was driving. Would I be able to replace the chains and out back in? Or is my motor shot and I need to replace it? Thanks in advance.
Well it is an interference engine. Might have to look at the valves if timing chains fail?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I finally got my engine out and was able to pull the oil pan. It was not a pretty sight. This is what I found in the Oil pan.
New 97 59.jpeg

New 97 60.jpeg

So now looking for a Used 4.0 sohc.

Back