Paint Issues - Non Hood | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

In the end its between you and your dealer. I'd be surprised if they could actually get you a hood from the factory. It sounds simple, but I doubt Ford has a procedure for pulling parts in the middle of assembly out of the assembly, especially the paint step. If that's what you want, stick to your guns, and see what they do.

On a side note, the factory paint on my 2013 has a moderate amount amount of orange peel. Its not very noticible and not a huge deal to me, but its there. This is not an uncommon deal. Over at autogeekonline.net there is a thread of a pro wet sanding a blue Mustang that had horrible orange peel.

Anyway, I guess my point is that you may actually get a BETTER paint job on your hood than a factory job, if the painter is a real pro, and the hood is one of the most noticeable panels on your vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the end its between you and your dealer. I'd be surprised if they could actually get you a hood from the factory. It sounds simple, but I doubt Ford has a procedure for pulling parts in the middle of assembly out of the assembly, especially the paint step. If that's what you want, stick to your guns, and see what they do.

On a side note, the factory paint on my 2013 has a moderate amount amount of orange peel. Its not very noticible and not a huge deal to me, but its there. This is not an uncommon deal. Over at autogeekonline.net there is a thread of a pro wet sanding a blue Mustang that had horrible orange peel.

Anyway, I guess my point is that you may actually get a BETTER paint job on your hood than a factory job, if the painter is a real pro, and the hood is one of the most noticeable panels on your vehicle.

Thanx for your reply.

I'm going to agree with the OP here. Call it spoiled. I'd be pretty upset buying a new car and having to get it repainted. Oh, and I'm really trying to like my Explorer as well. Just got back from a trip to Sedona. Tried to get into the car this evening, it's completely dead. At 6K miles, you think I should be happy with my "new" Ford?

So far, I've noticed that when using the autostart, the climate controls seem to have a mind of their own (yes it's set to "last settings"), this thing idles ROUGH at times to the point of almost dying, it does have a transmission shudder at times, and now is sitting dead in my garage.

I'm SHOCKED that new car buyers defend a brand when they have issues from the start! I'm actually beginning a search for a Toyota Landcruiser to replace this thing. Before you think you should throttle me as the a Landcruiser is not the same as an Explorer, I'm looking for a 1991-1997 FJ80 with less than 150K as I know it will be more reliable. Sad.

My wife and I have already agreed to only keep this thing for one year. It's a shame, it drives nice, love the dash, seats are comfortable, but really, dead in my garage? Sigh...

Paint defect

It is sad that we as Americans as willing to accept things titled with " it's just a characteristic of this car and acceptable" when in fact it is a defect and should not be on a forty thousand dollar car. Mine had a paint flaw and I stuck with that a it was eventually replaced by the dealer. I currently work for a manufacturing company that exports a lot of goods to Japan and they have totally different quality spec for them. It should not be that way. Americans should demand excellence just as they do and companies should be willing to provide it.

I'm sorry to tell you, but unless you except the re-paint, that's about all you are going to get.....I had the very same issue with our 2013Eco Boost. I'm still pissed and I will never buy another Ford.....period. Ford will not paint and send you a new hood...They may depending on the Dealer paint a new hood for your vehicle, so you can see if it matches and is done right before it goes on the car....At least that way it won't have built up layers of paint over who knows what the original flaw was....And if you scream loud enough they will also throw in a 5yr extended premium warranty....Best regards Plum

Yes it is a big deal for me.
Just ask any body shop if there work is similar to the factory paint.

Okay I am game. Over fifteen years on collision repair. Do I qualify as one who might have knowledge on the matter ?

The following is issues with that:
- With the time, car paint changes because if many factors. The body shop paint is going to change in different way than the factory paint. You will end up having two different colors.

Completely incorrect. The difference is in the clear coat. The color wont change. Washing and proper protection and care with non wax based products such as Zaino (www.zainostore.com ) will result more than your share of years of quality finish. Even more so with all the current clear coat being so new.

- The quality of body shop paint is less than the quality of factory paint. For example it could chip-off easily comparing with the factory paint.
Cheap paint and poor prep work yes. A quality prep job with a high end paint like Sikkins is FAR superior to factory. Consider the finish you see on show cars and contrast them to the finish you see on the show room floor. There is no comparison. ( and I am talking World Of Wheels type shows, not the get together at the local Dairy Queen )

- It is hard to repaint the hood with the exact same color as the factory did on the whole car. If you look from different angles you will find this small difference on colors.
False.
Done right color match can be completely undetectable. Even to professional eyes.
- Devices such as "color meter" that is used by dealer when you sell your car will tell that the hood is repainted. This will depreciate the car value because part of it has been repainted for some reason another.

That is the reality of buying a new car. Its value plummets as soon as you sing your name on to it. Cant do a thing about it. They will nickle and dime every chip, scratch, stain, every dirt spot and fraction of an inch of ware and tear. A repainted hood is the least of your worries. I am assuming you had no intentions of trading it in any time soon, by then you will have way more factors to deal with that a repainted hood.

Finally, a car that worth $35K should not have this problem.

Agreed.
We painted a six month old Lexus all over a few years ago because the owner was unhappy with the factory paint. He paid WELL over $35k for his can I can assure you.

This thread just underlines the importance of a thorough (and I mean thorough) inspection at the time of delivery before any papers are signed. We noticed a few scuffs in our vehicle's finish that they were able to knock out before we took final delivery. The car was as close to perfect visually as we could want.

I can understand the OP's desire to have a 'factory' paint job but that likely isn't going to happen. As I mentioned I had the hood of a previous Highlander repainted and you couldn't tell the difference.
If a factory paint job is supposed to be superior, than how do you explain the paint defects on the new Explorer?
Have them repaint it. I wouldn't like it myself but I don't think you have any choice here if the dealer is willing to make it right.

Peter

This thread just underlines the importance of a thorough (and I mean thorough) inspection at the time of delivery before any papers are signed. We noticed a few scuffs in our vehicle's finish that they were able to knock out before we took final delivery. The car was as close to perfect visually as we could want.

You are 100% right. We need to carefully inspect the car before singing any papers.

Ford can avoid this kind of problems by hiring more people to improve the process of inspection and quality control. This will add few hundreds to the car cost but will produce better cars.

I get you OP ...good car dealers have great detailers... you will not see a car with defects, they will be refinished, repainted, waxed, shined, detailed, before being put in the showroom.... That being said Lexus, Ford, Porsche, Mercedes, Honda, Rover and anything in between, they usually have a very good shop where vehicles damaged in transit go to be beautiful again...

I dropped my Explorer at the dealer on Tuesday. I got a call from the dealer asking me to pick it up.
I went there. The car was messy and all white because of the paint job. I asked them to clean it in order to see how is the new paint.

BAD NEWS:: They did not do it right. There were small bubbles that you see and feel on the hood. :( I have to leave it again in the dealer to fix the hood.

This is really annoying and unacceptable from Ford and their dealer. Let's see how this will end !!

To me that sounds like your dealer just sucks. Asking a customer to come look at a paint job on a brand new vehicle and then not even bothering to clean it beforehand? To me, that says they just don't care. And that shows more so with the bad paint job. Try getting a hold of the Ford customer service rep here on the boards, and see if you can get some help.

...There were small bubbles that you see and feel on the hood...
I’m sorry for not seeing this post sooner, walisas; I sent you a follow-up PM.

...Try getting a hold of the Ford customer service rep here on the boards, and see if you can get some help.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion, obie. :)

Cory

Just jumping in this, I know i'm a little late. In CT, a defect in the paint from the factory is an automatic win in a lemon law arbitration case.

Might want to look and see if it's similar by you.

Paint Issue on New Explorer

After taking delivery of my new white tricoat sport I noticed a small piece of something under the paint near the rear lift gate handle. It's small but definitely noticeable as it sticks up from the surface. If I had to describe it...it looks like about 1/8" of the lead of a mechanical pencil. It's under the paint so you don't see it from 10' away. I dont like that it's there, but I can live with the look. But my concern is that it will eventually get knocked off (since it sticks up from the metal) and then be a hole in the paint.

I went back to the dealer and they want to repaint the whole rear lift gate. I asked if they could just knock it off and touch it up. He said they could but it might not look good. And then Ford would probably not cover the repainting once it was touched up.

I DON'T like the idea of repainting. The dealer said I can decide what to do anytime within the warranty period. What should I do?

Quite honestly, I've been down this road years ago with a vehicle I owned. I would wait it out and see if more imperfections pop up down the road, unless of course it really bothers you. I went through hell trying to get vehicle sections repainted as they had already covered one paint job under warranty.

I've probably posted this in every paint thread, check with your states lemon law program. In CT, paint defects from the factory are an automatic lemon law victory for the consumer. I'm told we have one of the best lemon law programs in the country, so yours might not include paint issues, but its worth looking into.

After taking delivery of my new white tricoat sport I noticed a small piece of something under the paint near the rear lift gate handle. It's small but definitely noticeable as it sticks up from the surface. If I had to describe it...it looks like about 1/8" of the lead of a mechanical pencil. It's under the paint so you don't see it from 10' away. I dont like that it's there, but I can live with the look. But my concern is that it will eventually get knocked off (since it sticks up from the metal) and then be a hole in the paint.

I went back to the dealer and they want to repaint the whole rear lift gate. I asked if they could just knock it off and touch it up. He said they could but it might not look good. And then Ford would probably not cover the repainting once it was touched up.

I DON'T like the idea of repainting. The dealer said I can decide what to do anytime within the warranty period. What should I do?

Hey Cj31,

The choice is, of course, up to you on which route you want to take here. I'm happy to step in and see how I can help; send me a PM with some of your information, including your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll start investigating.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns; I'll track down some answers for you.

Quite honestly, I've been down this road years ago with a vehicle I owned. I would wait it out and see if more imperfections pop up down the road, unless of course it really bothers you. I went through hell trying to get vehicle sections repainted as they had already covered one paint job under warranty.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions, exilepa! I'm sure that Cj31 appreciates it.

Have a great day!
Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To be done right, if there is a scratch or blemish, the whole panel will be repainted. I wouldn't be too concerned about it as the paint is not very old and will not have faded. I had to have the front fascia repainted on the Cayenne and it looks like new (which is a necessity as that car will be sold as a new car shortly). The reason they don't want to do touch-up paint is that they are going to blend the paint into the side panels so you don't see a variation of color.

Back