Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Bring me any 2011-2013 Explorer and I can reproduce this problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perhaps that may be so but why create a problem where none currently exists? Depending upon how hard you drive a vehicle, you could probably create any number of issues in any vehicle.

Peter

UPDATE: Took it out today and 'punched' it a couple of times. Hit 5000 RPM both times and no problems at all. Under normal driving conditions, my RPM's usually top out at about 22 - 2500.

I am considering getting a new Explorer in the next few weeks but this issue is raising doubts........I have heard that the same issue exists in the Edge as well which I am considering as an alternate vehicle choice....ugh!

As I am in the process of purchase a 2013 explorer I went to safecar.gov and I have only found one complaint on this issue. So it might not be as bad as reported here.

Hi IronPyro and Express,

Ford engineers are aware of this issue and are diligently working on a resolution. I'm a bit biased, of course, but I hope you both decide to become members of the Ford family! :)

If you have any questions or concerns, you should feel free to contact me via PM.

Thanks!
Crystal

Hi IronPyro and Express,

Ford engineers are aware of this issue and are diligently working on a resolution. I'm a bit biased, of course, but I hope you both decide to become members of the Ford family! :)

If you have any questions or concerns, you should feel free to contact me via PM.

Thanks!
Crystal

For those of us that do have the problem and have already been in contact with customer support, we all just want to know one thing.

WHEN WILL IT BE FIXED????

I have been waiting close to two years for a fix and have been told multiple times, "it's coming" by various people in the customer care organization. I'm tired of the platitudes and BS. I want an answer. PERIOD! It's not like Ford needs to keep us in the dark on this since it's a common knowledge problem.:mad:

Welcome to the Forum IronPyro.:wavey:
Your concern is understandable. Don't forget that the members here make up only a very small percentage of the owners of Explorers
Thanks....however there seems to be a large percentage of those here who are having this problem.

Thanks....however there seems to be a large percentage of those here who are having this problem.

Ford Explorer really has a lot to offer. But, I'd wait til a real TSB for this issue comes out before finalizing your purchase.

I made a mistake thinking and believing that Ford had already fixed this problem with the 2013 models with my unit being 05/12 built.

Add 5 more Philippines owners (All V6 Limited) to the percentage.

If I were to do it over, I would not buy any Explorer, especially the 2013 I own. I would look at the new Pathfinder or the Highlander

I am purchasing a 2013 and getting rid of my highlander I have had the most recalls on it than any car I have owned . As for the odor issue I agree with Peter this seems to be a limited amount of cause . If I also had this concern and it was as bad as it seems I would also file a complant with the governing agency where you live or safecar.gov instead of putting down all explorers as some do not have any problem at all. Ther are 3 in my neiborhood that do not have any problems at all 1 person commutes to Orlando 2 time a week 400 mi trip no problem

If I were to do it over, I would not buy any Explorer, especially the 2013 I own. I would look at the new Pathfinder or the Highlander
The Pathfinder is another newly designed vehicle subject to first years issues. The Highlander is the only proven one of the two. I liked my Highlanders but not as much as my Explorer.

Peter

I am purchasing a 2013 and getting rid of my highlander I have had the most recalls on it than any car I have owned . As for the odor issue I agree with Peter this seems to be a limited amount of cause . If I also had this concern and it was as bad as it seems I would also file a complant with the governing agency where you live or safecar.gov instead of putting down all explorers as some do not have any problem at all. Ther are 3 in my neiborhood that do not have any problems at all 1 person commutes to Orlando 2 time a week 400 mi trip no problem
I had 3 Highlanders, the last being an '09 Limited. I had 2 1/2 years to go on the lease when I decided to go with the Explorer and a friend took over the lease. Having had my Explorer now for 21 months, I wouldn't hesitate to do it all over again.:thumbsup:

Peter

What a ridiculous statement......:crazy:

I have not experienced the smell......EVER....and I have had it reving high on a few occasions....like Peter said...It's not a sports car!
If you are always gunning it...you either bought the wrong vehicle or are driving it in a manner that is most likely unnecessary......

Not everyone has this problem......why can't people just accept that? Geez....

HughCares, Ford reps have stated that it is a design problem, not a defective part problem. Guess what, that means all of the vehicles have the problem, until they change the design.

HughCares, Ford reps have stated that it is a design problem, not a defective part problem. Guess what, that means all of the vehicles have the problem, until they change the design.

I'm not disputing that it may be a design problem.....but you and everyone else who may have experienced the smell are not going to convince me and anyone else who haven't experienced it that we are wrong. Don't drive it so hard all the time if you are that concerned......
Sorry about your luck with your EX.....mine has been terrific (and odour free).:D

I have not experienced it at all since I picked up my '13 in August! I have gunned it numerous times in passing maneuvers and accelerating to merge into interstate traffic!

If I were to do it over, I would not buy any Explorer, especially the 2013 I own. I would look at the Highlander
I have a Toyota Venza now........recall after recall after recall....I did look into the Highlander but it was just not comfortable for me in the driver seat.

My 2013 Limitied with 1100 miles has the smell randomly. Out of a dozen hard accelerations total, about 3 have produced the smell.

I have a 2011 ltd, and i have had the smell a few times but no big issue like people are making it seam here, i also had it on my 2008 cts ltd, i also have it on my 330i, but some people just like to complain and mybe its that some people have passed a gas and blame the explorer ?;)

I have a 2011 ltd and i have had a few the smell a few times but no big issue like people are making it seam here, i also had it on my 2008 cts ltd i also have it on my 330i, but some people just like to complain and mybe i that some people have passed a gas and blame the explorer ?

Its just that some people have owned much cheaper cars with better build quality. ;)

FYI the smell causing the problem in the Explorer is nothing like gastric gas.

Desertexplorer, are you sure the sand is not stuck UP in the cat converter ??? ALSO YOU WILL GET THAT SMELL MORE ON HOT DAYS NOT ON COLD DAYS.....!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For those that aren't bothered by this problem, that's great for you. But why are you commenting on this thread? To annoy those of us that have been dealing with this problem for a long time? To tell other people how to drive?

Back