My New, New 347 | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My New, New 347

I'm abandoning my old thread (My new 347), as the motor has been an epic fail for many reasons.
Against any sane reason, I'm trying again.

Post #1 is a thread with all parts for my own records. I'll keep adding to this as I have the time and know what parts are being used.

New (Used) unmolested factory block from Vroomzoomboom. Thanks Tim!
Eagle Forged 4340 Steel Crankshafts 430234705400 w ESP Armor coat option
Bullet Pistons BF6010-030 - 2618 Forged Flat top w TFS valve reliefs made for power adder applications
Rods -I beam Forged (From Old Motor)
King Pro Series Bearings
Michigan 77 SH1321 Cam Bearings
MEL10688 HV Oil Pump - Block and pump machined to fit under the stock oil pan
FEL-1133SD MLS head Gaskets
PAC-1207X LS Springs (Yes Tim, there is something Cheby going in to my Ford motor)
Comp Ultra gold 1.6 rockers (old build)
HRC911968 Howards link bar lifters
Comp Cam 35-775-8 proposed, may change after head flow number change 35-775-8 - XFI™ Stroker Hydraulic Roller Camshafts, Computer controlled (E.F.I.) with O.E. hydraulic roller cams 1985-95
rollmaster timing set (Hopefully re-usable from old build)
TW170 heads (old build) that will be ported and the chambers softened for boost
push rods: 5/16" with a length of 6.7" (old build)
ARP Head Studs (old build)
Torque converter CircleD SKU:30-09-19 11" 2800 stall triple disk lockup FORD 11" HP Series 4R70 Torque Converter
Trick Flow Track Heat intake (old build)
Cometic C5652-060 intake manifold gasket
ARP Oil Pump Driveshaft Kit 1 54-7904 (old build)
ARP Flexplate Bolt Kit 100-2901 (old build)
PCV Valve EV127A
header gasket remflex 3003

28oz Damper DamperDudes.net (Americas Largest supplier of harmonic balancers)-re-balanced by machinist to 0
28oz flex Plate 1830201 - Small Block Ford 289-351W 1963-1982, 28 oz Ext-bal, 164 Teeth -re-balanced by machinist to 0

Injector Clinic 650H 62lb injectors
Return style fuel pump canister installed in fuel tank (1998 Explorer)
Another 6an braided line added as a fuel return line
Aeromotive Stealth Electric Fuel Pump 11542 340lph
Aeromotive 13130 fuel regulator
Trick Flow TFS-5158000R fuel rails

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

E8E91473-47DB-4E82-91DA-205ACCFE0F9E.gif

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Turns out the shaft was shortened .2 which is how much closer the pump is now. Dimas didn't want to bother having to worry about it later.
Thanks for the offer Tim!

I was looking for something small to do tonight that I could make myself feel useful at, and be inside the house and comfortable.
I mounted the correct fuel rails (The first ones I ordered were the Edelbrock ones, which do not fit the stock style intakes like the TrickFlow's) and made the 6an fuel lines. I'm hoping by feeding each fuel rail separately I get a hair more even (more even, how's that for poor grammar?) fuel pressure at each injector.

Lower intake w fuel rails.jpg

Yup, Dimas tanked it for me. I thought it came out great.
The inside of the upper came out super clean also, using the parts washer. Much better than I expected.

Thanks for the kind words on parts washing Tim......NOT

My engine builder won a scholarship to EFI University. Its just too bad they are focusing on the LS stuff, just like the rest of the world. At least its a push rod motor, like our Windsor stuff. I'm not sure when he's going yet. My motor will probably be done before he goes, but that gives you an idea of his passion. He is one of four guys that get to go. Yup, he's from little, no real population, Canada. It's quite the honor.

I'm happy for him, and it really helps set my mind at ease that Tim was right, and this is the guy. Tim and I are certain he will stand behind his work 100%.

Iv'e just been puttering. I removed those crimp connectors (Yes 4Point, I did use them as a temporary measure) and replaced them with weatherpak connectors. I soldered the connectors to the wires (No crimp only stuff here) and then checked all connections right from the coil pack back to the Vampire brain. One more small thing checked off the list.

yea, i thought that was pretty cool myself that he won that. he's the only canuck going to. my problem with that is, when it comes time that i want him to do my motor, he's really going to know his worth, and will be mortgaging the house. then again i can sleep in the truck and cuddle up to the dog and cat in the winter.

Progress is slow, but Dimas is back at my block.
The cylinders look like they are almost ready for pistons, surface decked, and the hole has been drilled and tapped for the knock sensor. I'm hoping it wont be long till the finish hone is done, and pieces start going in to the block.

block in progress.jpg

bored and prepped cylinders.jpg

drilled and tapped for knock sensor.jpg

That looks very good.

My block is still getting some loving. Torque plate hone, here we come.
The block is blueprinted so everything is in perfect alignment.

Torque Plates.jpg

Fancyyy :D

Small update: Things are moving along. Dimes is getting the rotating assembly balanced.
He wasn't sure if he would be able to balance the crank to my 28 oz flex and harmonic balancer or not.

He has seen many times that the zero balance cranks have enough extra material on them that they balance to 28oz easily.
Not this time. I told him Id just order a neutral balance harmonic balancer from damperdudes, and a zero balance 64 tooth flex plate from prw. He said it will be faster for him to knock the weights off the flex plate to zero it, and he will zero balance the harmonic balancer himself. I was surprised he would spend the time to do this. Pleasantly surprised.

I then thought about.... what happens if I need a new harmonic balancer at some point? well....Id have to pull the rotating assembly anyway to re-balance as @Vroomxoomboom had to. So, things are pushing forward.

The even better part of this is that I'm on the fun side of the wall (Mexico) right now enjoying the ocean and sun.

in the case with mine, a poorly machined aftermarket waterpump was hitting mine, and knocked the weight off its position. one of the main reasons why i replaced my crank was when i first had the motor done, the trust bearing ate into the crank, and they had to machine the crank for a oversized thrust bearing (im sure you have never heard of a trust bearing killing a crank). i also figured it would be much harder to rebalance a crank that had been done once before. those were the reason why i did mine.
btw, life is good up here. only 2 snow storms since you left. i also showed a few guys at work the picture you sent me. might be a good idea for you to avoid my place of employment for a while if you know what i mean lol

I understand the weather is brutal Tim. It was sunny and hot here today though. The wind came up later in the day. Tough life.
I had to come out of the sun, as I was getting cooked. Can you imagine?

Dimas sent me a text, and he killed his balancer. :( He's sure its main board and about a month of down time before the balancing can be completed.

So, in the mean time, the heads are going to get massaged. The flow seems to level off over .5, and Dimas want to figure out why and fix it.

Looking good, I love the attention to detail.

I really want to see what the heads end up looking like. He wants to re-work the chambers of the heads also. I'm betting they will end up looking like an ls performance style chamber.

Other option might be that they end up looking like chambers on a thread on the yellow bullet about tw170 heads that Darren Morgan chimed in with suggestions. When that guy speaks, everybody listens.
So I pulled the valves... What the hell is this? - Page 5 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Oh, Tim, it's kinda windy here today. Still sunny and hot though. Truth is, the best part is that I'm not at work.

Back