costman13's D44 SAS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

costman13's D44 SAS

Okay guys i picked up my LP Waggy 44 last night! and have been doing nothing but reading and research for the past week or so, and still have plenty to do...

But anyways my ideas aren't too crazy, im planning on a leaf sprung set up with 35's (not sure which flavor just yet) 4.56's and a doubler. (its still a daily driver) i have a spool in the rear but will be replacing with ausie's front and rear, and still have not decided what to do about the difference in lug patterns. im not 100% sure about the leafs yeat either, maybe the waggy rancho 44044's?? or some modified TJ springs?

now how about some imput:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This probably doesn't make any sense, but Yomie, those are the biggest 37s I've ever seen. Kinda like Ricks 36s in some pics just look monsterous.

on a first generation you can pretty much buy coil buckets, coils and shocktowers from wildhorses4x4.com for a good deal. I would but the radius arms Stic-o is using if I were to do this swap again.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

i would love to run a 3 link, and some coilovers but my X is a bit thrashed, pass. side drop bracket it bent beyond repair and every bushing, balljoint, and bearing needs replacing.
you're going to replace all of that anyway.

Drop brackets - sliced off
bushing, ball joint, bearings - thrown away and replaced with the stuff for the new axle.

034x4 went to school I think somewhere out west.

Jey is at Fab school in Riverside Cali, his rig is still at his parents house in GA

Yeah i agree Danny, but they are 37x12.5r15 MTR's on 15x8's...just look like 40's on the X

you're going to replace all of that anyway.

Drop brackets - sliced off
bushing, ball joint, bearings - thrown away and replaced with the stuff for the new axle.

i know all this will be replaced, but it needs to be done soon and soon means no time to save which means i cant afford to buy coilovers! :thumbdwn:

i would love to but my wallet wont allow it!

WHOOOOPS! didnt realize my brother was logged in...

but anyways, it will cost less to run leaves, so leaves it is

How are you going to do your steering? You need to do a bent drag link (not a good idea) or go crossover/hi steer. By the time you buy flat top knuckles, get it milled, and one or two steering arms you are close to what coils would cost. I thought leafs would be cheaper but in retrospect it would have been about the same as doing a radius arm style coil suspension.

Wait you two are brothers? Hollllly crap, this is confusing :D

Yes we are brothers. That is another reason he wants leaves. I already have a radius arm setup.

I used the explorer drag link with the f150 tierod, it works perfect.

yes i am planning on running hi-steer. and yes i want to build a different set up than my brother (colindo94).

but anyways... does any of you waggy guys have an exploded view of the waggy 44 hubs??? im tryin to get the knuckles off tonight, and they have a much different setup then the ford D44's.

There's nothing to those knuckles.

In order if dissasembly:
- calipers
- lockout cap (allen wrench needed)
- outer snap ring
- inner snap ring
- remove lockout assembly
- spindle nuts
- pull the rotor/hub out
- remove the nuts that hold the spindle onto the knuckle
- remove the spindle and the backing plate
- remove the axle shaft
- remove the ball joint's nuts

And then good luck on the knuckle -- BFH

By the way, dont get hub and lockout confused.

This is the hub
dana44hub06.jpg

This is the lockout
dana.h5.jpg

Do you have drive flanges? If so the cap is just a press fit. I knocked mine off with a screw driver then started pulling the clips off to go deeper like IZ explains.

hey thanks guys! i just tore down that whole axle to the bare tube in about 45 mins!!! i figured out how to do the hubs, your right it was nothing.. i need to quit slacking and become elite so i can show you progress pics :D

This is the lockout
dana.h5.jpg

Those are 60 hubs :D

[Hijack]
Speaking of which, IZ do you need 60 lockouts? I have a set of mile markers and 1 warn standard D60 lockouts.
[/Hijack]

[more hijack]
The ones that came with the axle look okay (upon disassembly), so dunno if I need them right now. But thanks though!! :D
[/more hijack]

hey is this the "everybody try and sell you stuff" thread???!?? :D

Not much went on this past week or so since i tore down the axle, but payday always helps that issue :thumbsup:

i may be buying gears+install kit this weekend and some U-joints for the axle shafts, along with further preping the housing (ginding/cleaning it up)

as for tires i i am leaning towards MT/R's or Mickey Thompson MTZ's both 35x12.50R15's

and i have decided that swithching the rear shafts to 6 on 5.5 would be the way to go... so im gonna be needing some new wheels.

im also going to be selling a bunch of TTB stuff. JD radius arms and crossmember, all of the superlift stuff(except the drop brackets, they have been bent and broken), some front D35 4.56 gears, 33x12.50R15 mastercraft MT's and black steeles 5 on 4.5 and a 8.8 mini spool.

I would really suggest going with switching the front to 5 on 5.5 and making the rear match, here are the reasons.

If you change the front, its very easy to use flattop knuckles so you can run highsteer later if you choose. Or you can probably use the same knuckles you have now. (Im not sure on that part)

Your probably going to be buying new brake parts anyways, so now is the best time to do the swap

Parts are very easily found in any junkyard, no modifications are needed.

Rear is easier/cheaper to change to 5 on 5.5 than 6 on 5.5. Either single piece wheel spacers or narrowed bronco/f-150 shafts. Also you can switch to a fullsize 8.8 or 9" if you want.

6 on 5.5 shafts are going to be fully custom, meaning more money.

5 on 5.5 spares are easier to find on the trail if you were to need one.

And im sure there are more im forgetting. Spas did the 6 on 5.5 conversion in her rear and she regrets it.

If your curious on how to swap the front, its very easy. Get chevy/FSJ knuckles with the 6 bolt spindle pattern. Get the matching spindle, caliper plate and caliper. Use ford wheelbearings, rotors and hubs. Thats it.

ive been reading for a while now.. and the 5 on 5.5 may be the "right way the first time"... dont you just love how plans are always changing?

but i am still unsure on the leaves i want to run. where would i go about getting a 7 leaf waggy pack??

but i am still unsure on the leaves i want to run. where would i go about getting a 7 leaf waggy pack??
I found my pair on E-bay.

But you're absolutely right about plans changing. I bought the leaf pack for a leaf setup. But plans changed and I went to a 3-link setup. Robbie21 now has those leaves I had sitting in the shed.

Robbie21's thread if you want to read it:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155353

000_0002.jpg

Back