Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread | Page 90 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yours looks a lot less hacked to **** than mine does. lol

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Got the cage welded back in and painted. Also welded/gusseted a broken rear shock mount I found while crawling around underneath looking for fried wires.
20171003_133627.jpg

Got my Brian1 built engine mounts in yesterday. Two-day shipped to my door, and they are very well made. Thanks Brian
20171002_161409.jpg

yea, those mounts are pretty damn awesome. And the cage reinstall turned out great!

Thanks.
I pulled the trigger on a HAM radio today. I figured I can study and take the test later before I start using it. Needed it now because I am getting to the point where I need to start the modifications to my center console. After that trip to Shaver Lake, and how the use of the radios saved several days of the trip, twice, I figured it was time. I also go out solo sometimes and it would be nice insurance to have a radio that has some range. I will still have a CB in the Explorer. I have a Cobra that has the controls in the handle so don't need to worry about space for the head unit.
20171004_134733.jpg

Total out the door was under $200 for an entry level radio.

Rock Ranger says this will be me in a few years...
Screenshot_20171004-183853.jpg

I just finished up for the day. Got the instrument cluster, steering column and PCM installed, and finished the wiring for the transmission. It should be ready to start, but I chickened out. I will double check everything and give it a go tomorrow.

Well, it didn't start. Everything else functioned fine, just no start, no click, no nothing. I have had a starter relay go bad before, and that's what it did. I swapped out the donor's relay......and it started right up. Runs great!!

Now, on to the accessories...

Its running, which is a milestone. Still needs all the accessories installed and wired, and the entire interior is scattered all over my backyard. But, Its running!

Its running, which is a milestone. Still needs all the accessories installed and wired, and the entire interior is scattered all over my backyard. But, Its running!

:whitenavajo::burnout:

Sarah is competing at a horse show today and tomorrow, so not much to be done on the Explorer. I had a little time this afternoon. I spent most of it looking in my shop wiring manual, looking at the power seat wiring, which the donor harness does not have. Located the heavy gauge dark green wire in the old harness with the two seat plugs attached and pulled that. Located the same gauge and color wire in the Explorer's harness going into the big plug in the firewall. Wire comes out of the big plug, and in about 8" goes into another plug inside the dash, which plugs into the main interior harness. The wire doesn't come out of that plug. The difference between the interior harness with power seats and the one without is about 20' of heavy gauge dark green wire and two plugs. I can cut the wire prior to the last plug and run the wiring to the seats. It will allow me to use the OEM power distribution to the power seats, and the OEM wiring.

The reason I posted all of this, is this is the reason I am not finished with the Explorer. I am looking for ways to minimize cutting into the factory wiring.

Got some work done today. While I was working on modifying the center console I realized I need to have the carpet installed to get it in the right position. Laid the carpet and floor mats out on the patio and sprayed them down with diluted Purple Power, then sprayed them again, and one more time before rinsing with copious amounts of water. Carpet looks great now. It should be dry in a couple of days.

Ran the wiring for the torque converter lockout, the power seats, flat towing, roof light bar and the fuel pump cutoff switch. All of those will be easier without the carpet installed. Pulled the transfer case shifter out, riveted the cable seal to the body (it had never been done by the person I paid to install), and sealed around the transmission cable and wiring with some rubber sheeting I had.

The transfer case shifter was out of a S-10 and had mounts for some type of cover. I cut them off and the shifter is about half the size. It being smaller will help clear the new center console modifications. I am going figure out how to cover it later, but I have some ideas. Stripped all the vinyl off the center console, then cut the front off to widen and lengthen it. Its going all the way to the dash and up under the ash tray, and will have my new ham radio, six rocker switches, two volt gauges (one for each battery) and air pressure gauge for the compressor.

Sealed up stuff;
20171013_134813.jpg

Some wiring (that weave loom is a pain to use);
20171013_170227.jpg

Naked center console;
20171013_180159.jpg

Does anybody have experience with auto alarms? I purchased a basic Viper 3100V alarm system because I didn't want all the gadgets, but do want remote door locks and a ignition cut-off. The installation manual is less than useful. If anyone has installed a similar system in a first generation Explorer, please give me some directions.

Does anybody have experience with auto alarms? I purchased a basic Viper 3100V alarm system because I didn't want all the gadgets, but do want remote door locks and a ignition cut-off. The installation manual is less than useful. If anyone has installed a similar system in a first generation Explorer, please give me some directions.

@NICE59FORDF100 may be able to help with the proper installation manual. He had the one I needed for a 5100 series Viper.

Worked on more wiring, antenna cables, compressor gauge tubing. Its all run to the center console area. Also worked on the center console. Its coming along nicely. I had to widen it at the dash end to accommodate the switch panel and ham radio. It will be tight, but will all fit where I wanted.

Carpet installed and trimmed around the cage, shifter and cables.
20171017_140454.jpg

First, cardboard templates cut to fit
20171017_143512.jpg

20171017_143451.jpg

Then 1/2" thick plywood

20171017_172702.jpg

20171017_172626.jpg

The passenger side extension is going to be screwed into place so its removable for access. Driver side is going to be a permanent part of the console. Still need to trim it some more to keep it from contacting the dash, router the edges, glue and screw it together, and cover it with tan vinyl like before. Also got some steel diamondplate for the top of the console.

A month and a half ago, it was a melted mess. Now, its cleaner than it was before the fire.

The console looks great:chug:

I made some changes to the console today, and got it all ready to be covered. I had it in my head that the gauges had to be closest because that is how they were before. I realized that the switches should be closest to the driver, then the ham, then the gauges, for ease of use. The reconfiguration also allows more room to clear the ash tray and lower part of the dash.

Original plan
20171018_160214.jpg

New plan
20171018_164541.jpg

20171018_164618.jpg

Just imagine the cardboard is some steel diamond plate painted satin black, and the plywood is covered with tan vinyl. I am also going to add two or three charge ports to the passenger side, and one to the driver side for the flat towing brake assist unit.

20171018_164611.jpg

Edit: Now that I am looking at the pictures, I think I should have the radio up against the dash, then the gauges, with the switches at the bottom.

I went back outside and switched everything around in the dark. I think this is what I should go with.
With the gauges between the radio and switch panel, it will help lock the switch panel in place, and I can make it fit around the radio.
20171018_184708.jpg
20171018_184716.jpg

The CB has always been in the space I am now thinking of installing the ham, and I never had a problem using it. It also gives the ham a bigger air gap to help keep it cooler. Now, if I could get a double radio mic holder like the one in Rock Ranger's rig, that would be awesome!!:)

Back