94 Crawler's sas thread #1 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Crawler's sas thread #1

Ok the plan is to go to d44/ 9 inch. This will give me a base to work from for further mods including 3/4 ton front hubs and breaks and a full floating 9". Eventualy the 609/ true Hi9 front I'm daydreaming of. But we must walk befor flight.

So here is the plan. Since I have the d44 and it is a 79 Bronco with cast in wedges, I will be staying with radius arms (extended and thinking of using Johnny Joints rather than hymes). 5.5 wild horses rock crawler springs. 1 ton chevy tre's. Posibly hydro assist. Of corse 4.56 gears and depending on what is in this 9" I'm suposed to look at, choice of locker to come.

I will pull the 35 this weekend and get started .

Here are some pics.
DSC02060.JPG

DSC02061.JPG

DSC02062.JPG

eek :eek:
DSC02069.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..:scratch:...I can't remember, what axle do you have up front now???...Do you have a link to your current registry, or build before this build???

And one of the tennent I evicted, for IZ.:eek::eek:
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• DSC02064.JPG
    DSC02064.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 1,275
  • DSC02067.JPG
    DSC02067.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 1,136

Sorry ttb 35. happy with the preformance just not happy with alignment issues And I'll do some reasearch and add some links. I'm not the most savy with computers:confused:

...For some reason I thought you had a Dana 30 already...:confused:...I along with many others will be watching your build...:D

Great another build to keep up with. Im ready to see what happnes. I wondered how long it would take you to do this.

That little thing would have been smashed if i had found it....

Thanks the link is up now. I'll get more pics as I progress. this has been a long time comming. befor the engine swap befor the thought of anything more than mud and less than 38's.

I too was under the impression that you already had a solid front axle.

What size tires are you going to run?
Froader
35's for now

That little thing would have been smashed if i had found it....
Burns
I'm terrified by spiders But saving bugs and such makes my wife happy. I was trembling so bad when I caught it I almost could not walk.

I'm still concidering taller gears 4.88 should return the engin to original rpm/mph as it was from the factory. But I was happy with the gearing with the 4.0.

Im happy with my 4.0 and my 4.88s but if you dont drive it every day go for something lower.... I wish i was and i drive it every day.

I would have still killed that sucker lol

I wish i was and i drive it every day.

What size are your tires Burns.

Not so long ago I would have done the same. I have gone so far as to use a shotgun.:D

I run 36s.

Its great while running on the street but there is more to be desired in low. Its low but i want more...

Low should not be a problem I have the np203/np205 doubler. With 4.56 my crawl ratio is 97:1. I dont have to drive every day so maby some 5.13s are doable. Just for a reference it is 400 miles to Tellico frome here. NC is a long state

IZ how are those Johnny Joints holding up.
I dont have the real "Johnny Joints" (which are I think Currie Enterprise's registered name for them). I have Rubicon Express Super Flex's and they still look pretty good. I removed the arms from the vehicle just a few weeks ago and they seem fine. They've been submerged under water and mud (unfortunately, after this shot) a few times and they still look okay. I'll be running the same joint setup with the rear 3-link.

That front diff is looking great, you going to reuse that gear oil?

If you are extending the arms, take a look at what RangerX is doing with his swap, he has my old extended arms and that length was designed to run from the t-case skid plate where a new crossmember was fabbed. It worked great and got a ton of flex (click 94 Limited link in my sig).

I'm a fan of the tallest gears possible as well. Even with 5.13s I thought I would have gone lower if it was available. These were before the days of the doubler though.

I'm a big fan of your truck, it' looks great and the new axles are going to make it even better.

my biggest complaint of my sas rig was handling, too soft even with Rancho 9000 resivoir shocks at the stiffest setting. With that said, if I had the same truck still I would go out and run the bilsteins that my superduty is running. Either that or try coilovers right away to eliminate all the coil spring stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea coilovers would really be the way to go. Mush easier to adjust. I would love to run softer coils then my wild horses coils, but they are already much to soft for road comfort. They just don'e seem soft enough for offroad. Coilovers would eliminate this problem. Although it creats a whole new problem when it comes to my bank account.:rolleyes:

Back