Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 47 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Has anyone ever tried to return their Ford? This is definitely a concern for me especially since I purchased the truck for the sole purpose of transporting my family around. Having a newborn inside and smelling those fumes do not help. I have sent a PM to Crystal and will start to play the waiting game. At my first oil change I brought it up to the dealer and they gave me the BS of breaking in period. It's now at 10k miles and we are still smelling those fumes every single day. I hope they find a fix for this soon.
Welcome to the forum FIVEOH.:wavey:
Yes, there are a few posts about members who have used the Lemon Law to exchange Explorers and there are also posts about those that simply took the hit and traded it on another (non Ford) vehicle. There is no engine break-in smell other than that initial interior 'new car smell' that all vehicles have.
I understand your concern and there is a for a fix for the issue, as indicated in this thread, but according to the posts here, the success rate for a complete cure is very limited. They run from a 'complete success' to a 'reduced' smell to "no difference".
Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There was a question a few posts back about CO2 detectors. I have had mine in place for a little over a months now, so far it has not shown any results.

Interestingly after driving it hard for a little while trying to reproduce the smell and see if I could get any results on the CO2, the smell has disappeared. One of the only changes I have made was running E85 for a few tanks during that time, this may be why I don't have the smell anymore. I'll switch back to gas 100% of the time and report back soon.

- Huie

Almost successful tsb

I recently had the TSB for the bad smell done and it is around 90% successful. I tried to accelerate hard past 4000 RPMs and after a few seconds there is a very faint smell almost imperceptible and it was almost immediately gone. I kept repeating it and sometimes the smell is there but very faint, sometimes it is not present.
As I have mentioned before, I do not really go past 4000rpms when using the Ex, I just had it done for peace of mind. As I look under the body of this vehicle the more it tells me that it is a design/engineering issue and also not an exhaust issue but a smell issue. There is a very deep recess where the catalytic converter is and when you push hard the cat lits up and produces that smell. I had an issue with my 2003 Honda crv recently after my son plowed through grasses and dirt and they got stuck in the heat shield of the cat converter. It produced the same exact smell that I have experienced on the ex. I had to remove the heat shield and remove the dirt that covered the cat. Now the smell is gone.
So maybe there are two things here first the cat converter gets too hot or unable to handle the big dump of engine exhaust from the engine when you accelerate and second the ability of the underbody design to dissipate the smell that is produced when the cat heats up. Maybe that lower valance or dam in the front helps in the aerodynamics but not in dissipating the smell that lingers under the body.

E85

There was a question a few posts back about CO2 detectors. I have had mine in place for a little over a months now, so far it has not shown any results.

Interestingly after driving it hard for a little while trying to reproduce the smell and see if I could get any results on the CO2, the smell has disappeared. One of the only changes I have made was running E85 for a few tanks during that time, this may be why I don't have the smell anymore. I'll switch back to gas 100% of the time and report back soon.

- Huie

I also mentioned before that When I put in e85 I do not experience the smell and I also mentioned that if this is the solution then it is a very expensive solution because my mpg dropped significantly when I used e85.

I also mentioned before that When I put in e85 I do not experience the smell and I also mentioned that if this is the solution then it is a very expensive solution because my mpg dropped significantly when I used e85.
I would imagine that E85 gasoline has a lower sulphur content than regular gas. That could be a contributing factor since sulphur levels vary from one supplier to another and are not regulated. Regardless of whether or not that plays a part in the 'smell', it should not be present in the cabin on a regular/constant basis.

Peter

Not only the cost. Plus, with each and every single tank of E85 fuel you burn through it takes approx 200lbs or Corn to produce it (or at least it's land, water, resource & energy equivalent which could be used to produce other food products)....I say "SHAME" on those for filling up with E85!...when there are millions in this world who don't get to eat on a daily basic. IMO

Quick update, filled the EX up with 87 octane regular gas instead of E85 and "goosed" it on the way home. I was able to reproduce the smell every time. I let it sit at home with the doors closed and still no reading on the meter....

I understand that E85 has a pretty big impact on the environment but am going to switch back.Thats the only solution I have found. I have a discount card for E85 and can get it for $1.05 less per gallon than gas. The discount makes up for the drop in MPG's.

I'll keep monitoring the meter and maybe get it in for the TSB soon. If that doesn't fix it like many are reporting, i'm lucky mine is a lease and I can dump it. This whole thing just really sucks, I love the EX but won't support Ford if they engineer crap like this.

Quick update, filled the EX up with 87 octane regular gas instead of E85 and "goosed" it on the way home. I was able to reproduce the smell every time. I let it sit at home with the doors closed and still no reading on the meter....

I understand that E85 has a pretty big impact on the environment but am going to switch back.Thats the only solution I have found. I have a discount card for E85 and can get it for $1.05 less per gallon than gas. The discount makes up for the drop in MPG's.

I'll keep monitoring the meter and maybe get it in for the TSB soon. If that doesn't fix it like many are reporting, i'm lucky mine is a lease and I can dump it. This whole thing just really sucks, I love the EX but won't support Ford if they engineer crap like this.

Thanks for the "meter" update. Though it didn't give a complete read out, somehow this gives me a little peace of mind that my wife and baby are not inhaling 100% bad fumes.

For all our sake, I hope FORD continues to do find a solution. Otherwise, it would be a shame.

Lucky you.

I have to temper my excitement in accelerating especially when my wife and baby are with me.

I wonder if extending the muffler tips by 2" worked that forum member...please let us know whoever you are =)

Extension of the exhuast pipes did not work. Totally fed up with the vehicle. Problem is whenever I take it to Ford, I am unable to replicate the smell.

Multiple smell sources; mysterious entry point

Seems we have multiple sources of smell, with an as of yet unsolved entry point in to the cabin.

The main source IMHO are the catalytic converters.

Modern cars use 3 stage catalytic converters. The cat's convert primary exhaust pollutants into environmentally more acceptable byproducts.

To function efficiently, the cat relies on maintaining a correct oxygen level in the exhaust flow. This is monitored in part by the O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold.

When the engine is operated at higher power settings, the fuel-air ratio enrichens, and the cat's O2 requirement is increased. The extra O2 is either pumped directly into the cat, or it can be stored and later used in chemical form inside the cat.

Either way, if the cat runs lean on oxygen (brought on by high power, rich f/a ratio ops) unwanted reactions can occur that produce odoriferous hydrogen sulfide and ammonia.

This is most likely the source of the "perm" and "rotten egg" smell mentioned throughout this thread. Then, somehow these gasses are making their way into the cabin.

Other sources mentioned are from PTU fluid getting onto the exhaust pipes, from the engine cooling system, and lastly there's a theory linking EGR valve regurgitation. I don't know - but what needs to be pinned down is how its getting inside.

Good luck to ME... taking delivery of a 2014 Limited probably this week.

Seems we have multiple sources of smell, with an as of yet unsolved entry point in to the cabin.

Modern cars use 3 stage catalytic converters. The cat's convert primary exhaust pollutants into environmentally more acceptable byproducts.

To function efficiently, the cat relies on maintaining a correct oxygen level in the exhaust flow. This is monitored in part by the O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold.

When the engine is operated at higher power settings, the fuel-air ratio enrichens, and the cat's O2 requirement is increased. The extra O2 is either pumped directly into the cat, or it can be stored and later used in chemical form inside the cat.

Either way, if the cat runs lean on oxygen (brought on by high power, rich f/a ratio ops) unwanted reactions can occur that produce odoriferous hydrogen sulfide and ammonia.

This is most likely the source of the "perm" and "rotten egg" smell mentioned throughout this thread. Then, somehow these gasses are making their way into the cabin.

Other sources mentioned are from PTU fluid getting onto the exhaust pipes, from the engine cooling system, and lastly there's a theory linking EGR valve regurgitation. I don't know - but what needs to be pinned down is how its getting inside.
And why is only affecting some and not others who have also admitted to hard acceleration?

Peter

My thought on that Peter is that really everyone is getting it to some extent, I know my Sport does, but it's more how noticable is it to each individual. Smells vary from person to person and to one person it's pungent and noticable and another it's just a little whiff which can be expected.

To me it's not really that bad or a big deal, bu maybe because my other care runs a breather and it always stinks since the air intake for the cabin is at the top of the hood, you are always getting a little smell from the EGR.

Smell issue

My thoughts exactly that this is a smell issue caused by the cat. As I mentioned before my 2003 Honda Crv has never exhibited any smell but when my son plowed through some dirt and grass and they got stuck in the heat shield it produced the same exact smell I have experienced in the Ex . I can smell it from inside whether i am using the ac or not. Only after removing the debris that the smell is gone. Regarding other people not smelling it, my eldest son never noticed it but my youngest one noticed it. Maybe a different design of the cat, or a software fix on fuel to air mixture, or redesign of the underbody including the front air dam to help dissipate the unwanted smell.

Agreed - I figure it's got to be cat or O2/mix related for those of us with the sulfur smell. Gasoline with a high sulfur content could also contribute. I noticed that when I filled up with premium from a different vendor, I wasn't noticing the smell as much. Could be anecdotal but interesting none the less. Still, why it's getting into the cabin is a concern. I had a early 2000's Chrysler 300M for a short period and it threw a mass-flow sensor at 70MPH - I heard a massive backfire and the car lost all power and I was lucky to roll it off the next exit. It restarted after sitting for a while, but had to be fixed. The cabin was literally inundated with the same sulfur smell that many here are complaining about - albeit to a much greater extent.

I will be taking my vehicle in soon to discuss these issues - just waiting on a title issue (bought out of state) to be resolved so all of my paperwork is in order.

And why is only affecting some and not others who have also admitted to hard acceleration?

Peter

Quality control, or perhaps lack thereof might be one possibility. Also possible would be manufacturing variances that are within tolerance, but still lead to problems in some cars and not in others. An example of this might be how a seam gets welded, or blend doors that fit just a little different.

Even transport category aircraft - designed and built to MUCH tighter standards and tested to much more rigorous limits have differences and anomalous issues.

I would think that Ford is continuing to investigate the issue.

Not sure if it has been said yet, but the source of the smell is not related to any of the exhaust components. It is an aerodynamic issue. The smell will not enter my vehicle unless the is a window cracked. When the windows are cracked it causes a vaccum in the cabin. Combine the extra exhaust gases under hard acceleration/ vaccume of cracked windows and I think the main culprit is the spoiler. I wonder if anyone has removed the spoiler and tried. Under the spoiler will be another area of vaccum sucking the gases against the rear door before they get pulled away.

Not sure if it has been said yet, but the source of the smell is not related to any of the exhaust components. It is an aerodynamic issue. The smell will not enter my vehicle unless the is a window cracked. When the windows are cracked it causes a vaccum in the cabin. Combine the extra exhaust gases under hard acceleration/ vaccume of cracked windows and I think the main culprit is the spoiler. I wonder if anyone has removed the spoiler and tried. Under the spoiler will be another area of vaccum sucking the gases against the rear door before they get pulled away.
Wouldn't that then assume that everyone that has the smell issue had their window open to some degree? Hard to imagine since the posts don't seem to be a seasonal issue.

Peter

I have noticed this on our new '14 sport. I have a theory that it could be related to the rear HVAC unit. Does anyone know if the rear unit has a damper like the front unit to let in fresh air ? I want to say I have noticed it more when my daughter has been with us and is in control of the rear air herself.

I had also thought about the spolier... it changes the way the air rotates in the rear. In the winter, I can see the exhaust swirling around back there.

Most people say, windows up with ac on and recirculation set to replicate the smell.

Seeing as 2 or 3 people have put co2 detectors back there and it doesn't pick up anything, this seems to be more of an uncomfortable frustration g annoyance then a "poisoning my family" issue. For the sake of everyone on here that has the issue, I hope Ford is still researching as more and more complaints keep pouring in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have noticed my smell the most when I have all fans off , gun it and get up to speed. wait 10-30 seconds and BAM, the "perm" smell hits you.

I did notice the other day that after driving it hard and parking it right away you can really smell it around the outside back of the vehicle. Still no meter indication though.

Back