Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 48 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Not sure if it has been said yet, but the source of the smell is not related to any of the exhaust components. It is an aerodynamic issue. The smell will not enter my vehicle unless the is a window cracked. When the windows are cracked it causes a vaccum in the cabin. Combine the extra exhaust gases under hard acceleration/ vaccume of cracked windows and I think the main culprit is the spoiler. I wonder if anyone has removed the spoiler and tried. Under the spoiler will be another area of vaccum sucking the gases against the rear door before they get pulled away.

The cabin will have lower pressure than ambient due to airflow acceleration around the vehicle (bernoulli's principle). Opening a window simply introduces a direct point of entry.

I do agree the EX builds lots of low pressure in its wake. Its a large cabin, and the spoiler mentioned will contribute to generating a large drag pocket at rear. But I don't think the spoiler is the "main" culprit - IMHO its the overall size of the vehicle, and the large/blunt ass-end it has.

but it does look nice ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi everyone,

If you haven't been in touch with me already, PM me with your info (name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership) so I can look into this. If we have been in touch, send me a PM with your current mileage and I'll arrange for a follow-up call.

Thanks!

Crystal

Bad Smell Under Heavy Acel, Explorer Sport 14

I picked up my Explorer Sport this friday and have noticed a bad smell when under heavy acceleration. Smells kinda like something burning, my friend said to him it smelled like burning hair in a vacuum cleaner.
Has anyone else had something similar to this and is there a fix for it?

Thanks.

I picked up my Explorer Sport this friday and have noticed a bad smell when under heavy acceleration. Smells kinda like something burning, my friend said to him it smelled like burning hair in a vacuum cleaner.

Thanks.
As per my PM, I have moved your thread/post to the proper one that already exists on the topic.

Peter

Thanks guys, i did a search but did not see this thread. I had found a thread on a sulphur smell and a coolant smell but guess i missed this one. Thanks again.

Odd, i searched on firefox and found the thread no problem but on opera it did not show it. I can't even get PM's to open on opera for some reason. Maybe i should come back to firefox, lol.

Thanks guys, i did a search but did not see this thread. I had found a thread on a sulphur smell and a coolant smell but guess i missed this one. Thanks again.

Odd, i searched on firefox and found the thread no problem but on opera it did not show it. I can't even get PM's to open on opera for some reason. Maybe i should come back to firefox, lol.
You sometimes have to adjust the wording or phrases in your 'search'.
BTW, I deleted your other post in the 'Modified' forum.
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks.

Hi TouchOfEvil,

I'd like to extend my offer of assistance to you as well. Send me a private message (PM) with your info and I'll start researching options. Include your name, daytime phone number, mileage, VIN, and servicing dealership in your message.

Thanks!

Crystal

Thanks.
Here is what you all are smelling!!!!!!! What you and everybody else is smelling under hard acceleration is the burning, (smoking) smell of the chopped strand fiberglass wrapping in parts of the mufflers. There is a lot of heat, and I mean a lot generated in the mufflers when you get on it, and it's driven hard....when this material gets hot enough its does not really burn as such, but get so hot it starts to more melt and smoke away, and it gives off the smell everyone has trouble describing....How do I know, well Mustangs have also had this problem, condition and smell for some time. After changing the axle back mufflers on our 2011 Mustang, the smell is gone. and after putting up with it for far too long, I dissected one of the mufflers, found the chopped strand fiberglass and burned some of it....there it was the very strong acrid smell described serveral ways....No question about it !!! It takes very little of this material to cause a terrific smell, which no doubt is drawn in to the vehicle, and it lingers in the vehicle for some time, from the rear recirculation vents...HAVAK AC vents.....So there it is, do what you will with it....best regards Plum

Here is what you all are smelling!!!!!!! What you and everybody else is smelling under hard acceleration is the burning, (smoking) smell of the chopped strand fiberglass wrapping in parts of the mufflers. There is a lot of heat, and I mean a lot generated in the mufflers when you get on it, and it's driven hard....when this material gets hot enough its does not really burn as such, but get so hot it starts to more melt and smoke away, and it gives off the smell everyone has trouble describing....How do I know, well Mustangs have also had this problem, condition and smell for some time. After changing the axle back mufflers on our 2011 Mustang, the smell is gone. and after putting up with it for far too long, I dissected one of the mufflers, found the chopped strand fiberglass and burned some of it....there it was the very strong acrid smell described serveral ways....No question about it !!! It takes very little of this material to cause a terrific smell, which no doubt is drawn in to the vehicle, and it lingers in the vehicle for some time, from the rear recirculation vents...HAVAK AC vents.....So there it is, do what you will with it....best regards Plum

Wow, could it be that the mystery is finally solved? Good to know that the smell isn't actually engine exhaust and carbon monoxide. Who's going to be the first to change to aftermarket mufflers?

Sounds very reasonable to me. My smell is not a rotten egg smell as others say they have it is certainly a burning smell and it only happens when i floor it and run up over 70 or so mph. Other times i don't smell anything.

Thanks for the feedback!!!!

Could very well be the mufflers since there is a lot of restrictions in the factory exhaust creating a lot of heat. Only problem with that in my case is the smell comes from my front ac vents. So how does the smell get blown out the rear mufflers and float back to the front of the vehicle to be ingested by the hvac system while on recirculate so it is closed off from outside air. Also doesn't matter if I'm sitting still and floor it or traveling down the highway and step on the go pedal I get the smell at any speed.

Has anyone thought to install a CO monitor in their truck yet? Boy, I sure would.

Yes, a page or two back and everyone of them have said the detector doesn't pick up anything.

Could very well be the mufflers since there is a lot of restrictions in the factory exhaust creating a lot of heat. Only problem with that in my case is the smell comes from my front ac vents. So how does the smell get blown out the rear mufflers and float back to the front of the vehicle to be ingested by the hvac system while on recirculate so it is closed off from outside air. Also doesn't matter if I'm sitting still and floor it or traveling down the highway and step on the go pedal I get the smell at any speed.

The way the smell enters has been determined already, the origin of the smell had not. Mufflers being the origin is the answer to where not how it enters.

So here is what I got from the dealer. Will be getting worked on tomorrow. Not sure if it will fix it or reduce the smell. I will post back later.

EXPLORERPIC_zps695215f2.jpg

Oh .. one last thing, Crystal from Ford Service. Thank you very much for your attention on our issues. My regional customer service rep contacted me and has been calling me on a week to week basis to see if the issue has been resolved. Hopefully all will be fixed.

Oh .. one last thing, Crystal from Ford Service. Thank you very much for your attention on our issues. My regional customer service rep contacted me and has been calling me on a week to week basis to see if the issue has been resolved. Hopefully all will be fixed.

You're welcome, FIVEOH!!!. I'll be here if you need any assistance in the future. :)

Crystal

Here is what you all are smelling!!!!!!! What you and everybody else is smelling under hard acceleration is the burning, (smoking) smell of the chopped strand fiberglass wrapping in parts of the mufflers. There is a lot of heat, and I mean a lot generated in the mufflers when you get on it, and it's driven hard....when this material gets hot enough its does not really burn as such, but get so hot it starts to more melt and smoke away, and it gives off the smell everyone has trouble describing....How do I know, well Mustangs have also had this problem, condition and smell for some time. After changing the axle back mufflers on our 2011 Mustang, the smell is gone. and after putting up with it for far too long, I dissected one of the mufflers, found the chopped strand fiberglass and burned some of it....there it was the very strong acrid smell described serveral ways....No question about it !!! It takes very little of this material to cause a terrific smell, which no doubt is drawn in to the vehicle, and it lingers in the vehicle for some time, from the rear recirculation vents...HAVAK AC vents.....So there it is, do what you will with it....best regards
Plum

Would the smell be coming from the inside or outside of the mufflers?

If it's from the inside, then exhaust is being pulled into the cabin.

If it's from the outside, then exhaust may or may not be being pulled into the cabin.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too am getting an odd burn smell. The smell just flows through the AC Vents. I got out of the car and smelled it more so near the brakes on the front drivers side. I should go take a smell at the muffler.

Back