• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Burns SAS thread

Well as a few of you know my X was messeed up a bit due to a accident. so i have been looking for a new plan.
i have my axles (d44/ford9") all i need is to choose what i am gonna do.
i was thinking about thiS:
In the front i plan to use whild horse 5.5 inch coils,
1005_cut.jpg

for radius arms i plan to use this.
1425LO~1.jpg

they are 12 inches longer that the stock radius arms.i have the whole frame from a 78 f-150 that i plan to get the coil buckets and steering off of.
i want to use a 37 inch tire and use 4.88 gears
i dont see a problem with any of this so i need some info to see if i have missed anything

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
I meant IZWack. That kid is siiiick.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Look at the junk yards for the flat-tops .. also check out PBB and E-bay. I got mine from a guy on PBB for ~$75. Of course, as flat tops come from the factory, only one side is set up for hi-steer so you have to get the other side machined, drilled and tapped -- which typically costs between $40 and $70

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
section525 said:
I meant IZWack. That kid is siiiick.
I are not running the Sky flat top knuckles - tho I am running their arms :D .

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer

Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
Well who would have guessed that the day explorer forum goes down my stinking transfer case goes out. i will not work in 2hi,4hi but will work in 4lo. not sure about that but i have spent the rest of today changing the cases out and now i dont have a spare.

Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
yeah it took forever to find a trailer to get it on. i used a 16foot car trailer.

oh yeah has anyone had one of these apart u want to fixe it cause i have another one from a ranger that went out and i might be able to make one out of two

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
i have spent the rest of today changing the cases out and now i dont have a spare.
Oh you do ;) you just have to fix it first. Just open it up, its cake after that ;)

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
perhaps a bent/almost broken shift fork .. either way, its fun :D

Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
Sport Truck mag

Some new info other than the broken tcase is that my explorer is in sport truck mag. it was when i was a slammin and jammin. its a nice size pic. im excited even though it was not in a 4x4 mag.
slammiln.jpg

ld50

Oh, the money you`ll blow
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4 dr 4x4 manual XL.
hey Burns, do you know the measurement of your coil springs with the weight on them?- if ya don`t mind my askin`. Can`t seem find mention of that in the thread, but may have missed it. My apologies if you did tell us already.

-thanx

Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
hey Burns, do you know the measurement of your coil springs with the weight on them?- if ya don`t mind my askin`. Can`t seem find mention of that in the thread, but may have missed it. My apologies if you did tell us already.

-thanx

i never bothered to check but i will right now. y would you want to know that

ld50

Oh, the money you`ll blow
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4 dr 4x4 manual XL.
It tells me exactly how much the front end weight of a 1st gen Explorer squarshes a set of wild horse 5.5 inch coils. So if I wanted to run those above the d44 I`m installing; I set the axle the right amount off the ground, set the truck at the height I would like it to sit at with springs compressed, measure 15.5 inches up from the coil seats, and install my coil buckets accordingly.

:thumbsup: invaluable measurement, thanks for doin that!