Burns SAS thread | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Burns SAS thread

Well as a few of you know my X was messeed up a bit due to a accident. so i have been looking for a new plan.
i have my axles (d44/ford9") all i need is to choose what i am gonna do.
i was thinking about thiS:
In the front i plan to use whild horse 5.5 inch coils,
1005_cut.jpg

for radius arms i plan to use this.
1425LO~1.jpg

they are 12 inches longer that the stock radius arms.i have the whole frame from a 78 f-150 that i plan to get the coil buckets and steering off of.
i want to use a 37 inch tire and use 4.88 gears
i dont see a problem with any of this so i need some info to see if i have missed anything

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I meant IZWack. That kid is siiiick.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Look at the junk yards for the flat-tops .. also check out PBB and E-bay. I got mine from a guy on PBB for ~$75. Of course, as flat tops come from the factory, only one side is set up for hi-steer so you have to get the other side machined, drilled and tapped -- which typically costs between $40 and $70

section525 said:
I meant IZWack. That kid is siiiick.
I are not running the Sky flat top knuckles - tho I am running their arms :D .

Well who would have guessed that the day explorer forum goes down my stinking transfer case goes out. i will not work in 2hi,4hi but will work in 4lo. not sure about that but i have spent the rest of today changing the cases out and now i dont have a spare.

yeah it took forever to find a trailer to get it on. i used a 16foot car trailer.

oh yeah has anyone had one of these apart u want to fixe it cause i have another one from a ranger that went out and i might be able to make one out of two

i have spent the rest of today changing the cases out and now i dont have a spare.
Oh you do ;) you just have to fix it first. Just open it up, its cake after that ;)

sweet i didnt think it would be that bad. i think the main shaft is messed up in the one that just messed up.

perhaps a bent/almost broken shift fork .. either way, its fun :D

yeah we are sure its on the main shaft. never know till u try and im gonna.

Sport Truck mag

Some new info other than the broken tcase is that my explorer is in sport truck mag. it was when i was a slammin and jammin. its a nice size pic. im excited even though it was not in a 4x4 mag.
slammiln.jpg

that is truely the cleanest that truck has been. that was back when i just finished my sas.

hey Burns, do you know the measurement of your coil springs with the weight on them?- if ya don`t mind my askin`. Can`t seem find mention of that in the thread, but may have missed it. My apologies if you did tell us already.

-thanx

hey Burns, do you know the measurement of your coil springs with the weight on them?- if ya don`t mind my askin`. Can`t seem find mention of that in the thread, but may have missed it. My apologies if you did tell us already.

-thanx

i never bothered to check but i will right now. y would you want to know that

It tells me exactly how much the front end weight of a 1st gen Explorer squarshes a set of wild horse 5.5 inch coils. So if I wanted to run those above the d44 I`m installing; I set the axle the right amount off the ground, set the truck at the height I would like it to sit at with springs compressed, measure 15.5 inches up from the coil seats, and install my coil buckets accordingly.

:thumbsup: invaluable measurement, thanks for doin that!

Back