Burns SAS thread | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Burns SAS thread

Well as a few of you know my X was messeed up a bit due to a accident. so i have been looking for a new plan.
i have my axles (d44/ford9") all i need is to choose what i am gonna do.
i was thinking about thiS:
In the front i plan to use whild horse 5.5 inch coils,
1005_cut.jpg

for radius arms i plan to use this.
1425LO~1.jpg

they are 12 inches longer that the stock radius arms.i have the whole frame from a 78 f-150 that i plan to get the coil buckets and steering off of.
i want to use a 37 inch tire and use 4.88 gears
i dont see a problem with any of this so i need some info to see if i have missed anything

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It tells me exactly how much the front end weight of a 1st gen Explorer squarshes a set of wild horse 5.5 inch coils.
Ummm... mine is 18" with those coils an I know Stic-o's is 18" as well...

CoilCompress.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

the bumper is a ton of weigh. its built like a tank. when i had my accident it only bent one bracket and a few scratches. hit a truck at 45.

i just straightned the wheels up perfect and got 16.8 or so. i always wondered if i had been sent the right coils.

Thanks guys, 17 might be a good target, 2 inch difference is alot, guess I`ll ponder this some more before I cast any one measurement in stone. Anyway, don`t wanna hijack the thread or nuthin`.

I am going to check into this more i need to work on the front axle anyway so ill have a for sure number in a bit. i may have just made a mistake.

I have a new prolbem. I was out with some friends just riding around and i kept hearing this noise in the front end so i checked it and it seemed like a wheel was loose so i went all over each one and they were fine. however one of the caps to my axle u joint is gone. it does not look like the shaft is bent but i have no clue how this could happen.

are they full circle clips or the half snap rings

That happens sometimes. It is very well possible that the cap wallowed out the hole so that its not perfectly cricle anymore. That would make it not wise to use that shaft on the road. Some people weld the caps in them and use them as a trail spare BUT this effectively ruins the shaft if the Ujoint breaks while acting as a spare. Its up to you...but i would definately check that ear for oblong shape now. If its loose on the new ujoint cap....swap it out.

It may have made the long shaft holes warped when i broke the last ujoing and had to replace the outter shaft.

It spit the cap off. Just replace the joint and tack the cap on. 4 little tacks will work fine.

its only good to tack on caps from a u joint that is greasable after installed. the grease in them burns off and you need a way to regrease them

the ride height of the back of the truck will also effect the weight over the front end and coil height, plus not every 5.5 coil spring they make will have the exact same spring rate, it vareies a bit from spring to spring.

Just my guesses why the differences

its only good to tack on caps from a u joint that is greasable after installed. the grease in them burns off and you need a way to regrease them

then ill tack them in and carefully place the bearing peices back in and then put the joint in with new grease. not

i think the ring that holds it in was either not in place good or the inner shaft was warped when i broke the last ujoint.

your going to tac the caps and then install the joint? this I want to see.

This is were you have to be careful. 4 little bitty tiny tacks will keep the grease from burning out. It doesnt take much to keep the cap in... you just need a little bit of penetration.

Back