Project Vulture | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Vulture

The turning radius definitely is nicer! Ford is good with that in general to be honest

Wish ya luck on the rust

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

iirc, and i dont remeber this too well, but iirc w forscan if you go into the GEM(?) settings you can backdoor the ABS to make it read for a different gear ratio & tire size... or at least i think... and it probably requites the extended license...

Great thread. I sorta kinda want to do a lift on my 05 and add big tires but with an automatic and independent suspension it doesn't seem worth it, so I will live vicariously though this thread.

@DemonMudder Agreed, and thanks - there's a body shop in town that has me covered, just need to save up some cash after that axle work! When I'm not lazy, I'll put the flares back on and get some proper pics.

@Fix4Dirt I was just going to have the local Ford dealer reprogram it; for one use in a life time, I don't feel the need to buy specialized equipment. I know of several tuners that can edit such factors; hopefully any who find this thread will find your recommendation useful!

@Stynx No need, just buy a 1st or 2nd-gen and join in the fun! Never underestimate the auto/IFS combination, just know its limitations and use it well. IFS is good for moderate speed, low-flex applications. If you do decide to lift and wheel your 3rd gen, there are many threads that cover the right and wrong ways to do it, and things to look out for!

@DemonMudder Agreed, and thanks - there's a body shop in town that has me covered, just need to save up some cash after that axle work! When I'm not lazy, I'll put the flares back on and get some proper pics.

@Fix4Dirt I was just going to have the local Ford dealer reprogram it; for one use in a life time, I don't feel the need to buy specialized equipment. I know of several tuners that can edit such factors; hopefully any who find this thread will find your recommendation useful!

@Stynx No need, just buy a 1st or 2nd-gen and join in the fun! Never underestimate the auto/IFS combination, just know its limitations and use it well. IFS is good for moderate speed, low-flex applications. If you do decide to lift and wheel your 3rd gen, there are many threads that cover the right and wrong ways to do it, and things to look out for!
idk for me it didnt need no special tools, i just used forscan and my usual obd scanner...

Some scanners are more capable than others, for example: I use a cheap little one just to get the codes, nothing more. My mom has a more advanced one that tells what the code is, can read everything on the vehicle, don't think it can do the speedo though.

@Fix4Dirt Perhaps I should have expressed this more clearly; to me, already having a self-contained OBD-II scanner that reads all the codes all 3 of my vehicles have ever had, spending more money on another thing that can do what I can already do, plus reprogram the speedometer reading, would be both a redundant expenditure, and an unnecessary use of funds and space. "Specialized equipment" means anything that can modify the computer settings, as opposed to a regular code reader, which as I described, I already have. There are dozens of quick and fairly cheap options available for those who do want to buy specialized equipment to change these settings; and for them, Forscan would be an example of the appropriate specialized equipment. However, I have a solution which does not require the purchase of my own specialized equipment. For those who do such modifications as changing tire sizes and changing gear ratios regularly, the expense in buying said equipment would likely be common sense (which is probably why many dealerships have said specialized equipment already, and reprogram at customers' request for a small fee).

@DemonMudder Same, my $20 OxGord reads all the codes I've ever encountered. I particularly looked for a scanner that doesn't require any external equipment (like a phone, tablet, computer, or other auxiliary electronic device) in order to use. I need my stuff to work when and where I'm going to use it, and interfacing with other equipment raises issues that I can't afford to deal with. My car hobby is expensive enough, I can't have expensive electronics too!

Took her out for a run on some asphalt, gravel, dirt, sand, and mud this week with a pal. The torque control is very, very different. The shorter gears make it feel a lot steadier in all conditions off road, just as I expected, and it crawls its way out of just about any thing, thanks to slower, less jumpy accelerations. Traction is almost infinite, but stopping in mud is still doom, no matter what your gears are. We wrapped a tow strap around the front tire and reeled it in like a winch. Don't do that if you're really stuck, because it will strain your hubs.

Took her out for a run on some asphalt, gravel, dirt, sand, and mud this week with a pal. The torque control is very, very different. The shorter gears make it feel a lot steadier in all conditions off road, just as I expected, and it crawls its way out of just about any thing, thanks to slower, less jumpy accelerations. Traction is almost infinite, but stopping in mud is still doom, no matter what your gears are. We wrapped a tow strap around the front tire and reeled it in like a winch. Don't do that if you're really stuck, because it will strain your hubs.
jealous of your 5.13s and 33s... eve thogh i have the sohc, i wish i had a bit mroe than 31s and 3.73s... but who am i to complain!!! iirc theres peoole with 33s and 3.27 :(

jealous of your 5.13s and 33s... eve thogh i have the sohc, i wish i had a bit mroe than 31s and 3.73s... but who am i to complain!!! iirc theres peoole with 33s and 3.27 :(
jeez that gearing...33s on 3.27s?? How does that truck even move??? Got to be zero get up and go in the slightest with that, even with a 5.0! Even the 3.73s wouldn't enjoy the 33s very much, the 4.10s and 33s make a good pair from what I've seen though

jeez that gearing...33s on 3.27s?? How does that truck even move??? Got to be zero get up and go in the slightest with that, even with a 5.0! Even the 3.73s wouldn't enjoy the 33s very much, the 4.10s and 33s make a good pair from what I've seen though
🤣 some people have parience thats for sure!!! if i get 33s im getting 4.56s... love tractor torque

@Fix4Dirt Don't be jealous, do it yourself too! I have the SOHC too, and I have to say, of all my vehicles, it's my favorite for torque control, whether stock tires and gears or 33's on 4.10's or 33's on 5.13's, it just eats everything I give it. The Durango has a 5.9L and 30's on 3.55 gears, and there is no control AT ALL. It spins free on dry pavement. Gonna go ahead and say, though, 5.13's are actually a little shorter than what you'd want for a daily. 4.56's are a much better balance for decent street manners on tires like these, while maintaining good offroad manners, and would save you a fat wad of cash on the highways.

Like for example, my rough calculation can be used to get the RPM difference for a given speed, and that goes to say that with a 3.5-speed transmission like mine seems to think it is, shifting into top gear at 35 MPH, makes it about impossible to reach speeds past about 60, without maintaining 3000 RPM's. That's higher than you want to hold it for long, unless you're rich.

@DemonMudder I guess I'm not the only one who calls it tractor torque, ha ha! I felt every bit of that torque out there on the trail. Only time I spun a tire was when we were in the mud hole, sinking. Slow and steady is my game, and I'll take torque over speed any time there's an option. Seriously. Even in video games.

@Fix4Dirt Don't be jealous, do it yourself too! I have the SOHC too, and I have to say, of all my vehicles, it's my favorite for torque control, whether stock tires and gears or 33's on 4.10's or 33's on 5.13's, it just eats everything I give it. The Durango has a 5.9L and 30's on 3.55 gears, and there is no control AT ALL. It spins free on dry pavement. Gonna go ahead and say, though, 5.13's are actually a little shorter than what you'd want for a daily. 4.56's are a much better balance for decent street manners on tires like these, while maintaining good offroad manners, and would save you a fat wad of cash on the highways.

Like for example, my rough calculation can be used to get the RPM difference for a given speed, and that goes to say that with a 3.5-speed transmission like mine seems to think it is, shifting into top gear at 35 MPH, makes it about impossible to reach speeds past about 60, without maintaining 3000 RPM's. That's higher than you want to hold it for long, unless you're rich.

@DemonMudder I guess I'm not the only one who calls it tractor torque, ha ha! I felt every bit of that torque out there on the trail. Only time I spun a tire was when we were in the mud hole, sinking. Slow and steady is my game, and I'll take torque over speed any time there's an option. Seriously. Even in video games.
yeah! just give me a few years to fully plan this out.... lift, maybe a tiny BL, 35s, the list goes on! im sinking in this hole 🤣

yeah! just give me a few years to fully plan this out.... lift, maybe a tiny BL, 35s, the list goes on! im sinking in this hole 🤣
Nothing wrong with making a nice offroad setup plan! No rush on it either! Keep talking with us and it'll only get longer too! 😂

Took me like 4+ years to build mine
Takes time to do it right
And time to pay for it to lol
1653409854115.png

Never good to rush any project. I say as I'm trying to rush the driveshaft,l and exterior lights on the new Rado before my trip tomorrow afternoon 😅

Take the time, do it right the first time, and make sure ya got the finds aside for it 😂

Nothing wrong with making a nice offroad setup plan! No rush on it either! Keep talking with us and it'll only get longer too! 😂
ahhhhhh seeing your rado, and the other X photos youve PM'd me............. im doomed at this rate!

@Fix4Dirt Stop dreaming and start planning! Building up an offroader doesn't have to cost much more than regular maintenance, if you do what I did, and just upgrade when it's time to replace. Front end going out? Throw on a Rough Country or Superlift while you're under there. Replacing worn shocks and springs? Shackles, F-150 springs, or SOA on the rear! The hobby is only as expensive as you make it. No matter which way you look at it, it's always going to be cheaper than buying a new truck that can do half as much as your X can do.

As these trucks get older, they become less and less practical to daily (although not needing much by way of inspections is nice), so off road builds are kind of the way they all go after so long, any way. You might as well be the one to have the fun!

@Fix4Dirt Stop dreaming and start planning! Building up an offroader doesn't have to cost much more than regular maintenance, if you do what I did, and just upgrade when it's time to replace. Front end going out? Throw on a Rough Country or Superlift while you're under there. Replacing worn shocks and springs? Shackles, F-150 springs, or SOA on the rear! The hobby is only as expensive as you make it. No matter which way you look at it, it's always going to be cheaper than buying a new truck that can do half as much as your X can do.

As these trucks get older, they become less and less practical to daily (although not needing much by way of inspections is nice), so off road builds are kind of the way they all go after so long, any way. You might as well be the one to have the fun!
yeah!!!! before i got bit by the bug, and i was still stock, i redid the control arms and bjs and everything else, fitted new brake rotors at same time... now i want the RC lift, but then it requires upgrading to the bigger rotors, and 17s, and my 31s only got a few thousand on em so far.... put OME springs on a few years back, so i'd go soa if anyrhing..: so i kind of trapped myself worh replacing stuff before i got bit by the bug! now i want more, but i sont want to replace stuff twice if it aint broken! maybe if i get a 2nd X (foreshadowing) then i may just do that off the bat... hmmmmmm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a thing.

20220607_135851.jpg

The one thing I will miss about the trash can flares was the inherent fender-well liners... Guess I'll play with them a bit and see what I can do, now that it's looking more proper again.

Picked up my post-modification front hitch receiver the other day, will install when convenient, and that will serve as the basis for a future crash bar. Got a free wimpy bar for a GMC Yukon from a neighbor, so maybe that can be beefed up and incorporated into the end result, or repurposed and used on the rear as part of a spare tire mount. Speaking of spare tire mounts, I might add a step rail onto that, because I can't really reach the roof any more... Short people problems.

Back