Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
Hmmmmm........
It's Monday and not one post yet from any of the participants. There's either a lot of carnage or a lot of fun goin' on :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or both.......

Get your ***** in here and start posting pictures! :)

Pics! :bounce:

Here's mine!! http://www.explorer4x4.com/moab_05/

I had a fantastic weekend. Lots of stories to tell, but too little time right now. I'm sitting in my camper at the KOA. I'll at least clue you guys in on the most obvious carnage from my shots.

Tdavis broke the rear output shaft on his Zuk near Kens climb which is only about 5 miles into a 22 mile long trail. I strapped Tom over all of the ledges on the way out. When we got to the Golden Stairs I climbed the ledges and turned left. At the angle I was to Tom I could no longer see him in my mirrors. Everything seemed to be going fine, no yell to stop and nothing over the radio, suddenly I heard a crash. I stopped, hopped out of the the truck and saw Tom's Zuk laying on it's side :( The cage held up well, but the cowl collapsed by the windshield mount and the bed was pushed in from his hilift jack. We were only about 1 mile or less from where Tom rolled his Navajo several years ago. SORRY TOM!!!

BTW, my shots are out of order. The first 12 were taken with a different camera so the sequence is out of order.

Holey Moley! Was it just off camber + tow strap or what?

Nice pictures Rick!!!! Looks like BEAUTIFUL weather

Did everyone get strapped up Widowmaker?

Nice..Nice..Nice.....thats a bunch of lucky people playing on the rocks..even though a few got some Utah Rash on their rigs!!!
I vacationed there a few times but never made it to 4x4. I had built up an Isuzu Trooper II for a run with a Isuzu Club in 2001..but my motor started to cough up hairballs west of Flagstaff AZ..I never made it to the run...I was driving from Santa Fe NM......

I like the stock looking 1st gen. X climbing aroung out there!!!

Rick, every single time I see your pics it makes me want to go out there and wheel. Awesome pics. :thumbsup:

DWD(I think), aren't you a little bit too busy to be smoking? :p

Awesome! It's June and the LaSal Mtns are still showing gorgeous snowtops!

Who's got the blue tube buggy/Jeep? Did anyone make it up Widowmaker unassisted?

are you kidding? You can spend all day sitting like that waiting for the strap :)
Besides the smoking calms his nerves :)

Some of my favorite shots:

Marshall in search of the perfect view!

Our new friend Harold. He's even sporting an Explorer4x4 sticker on his Jeep! Harold strapped all of us up Widow Maker. I didn't even try to do it unassisted. I tried a similar unamed obstacle earlier on the trail and buried my spare tire and gas tank carrier. When they hit they unloaded the rear tires preventing them from climbing. Widow Maker is misnamed. The "real" Widow Maker is the APPROACH. One wrong move and:eek:

Mike Boyle stuck with the big dawgs in his nearly stock Explorer. He only needed a strap a few times on Golden Spike and Metal Masher :thumbsup:

Joey cresting the "Launch Pad". He did a great job on those tube doors. I really like the latch they designed :thumbsup:

Not a favorite shot, but a noteworthy one :( Tom needed to go straight up the ledge like I did. Trouble is I had to make a hard left at the top and the angle of the pull would not allow Tom to climb straight on.

This is the unnamed obstacle I got stuck on. The buggy... he walked up it like it was NOTHING!!

We met the owner of the yellow Blazer on the last obstacle of Gold Bar Rim. He had to drive up it in REVERSE since he lost all forward gears in his tranny :eek:

Harold on Widow Maker. The strap was just to keep the front end down. All of the trucks that went up Widow Maker just needed the strap to put a bit of weight on the front tires for the first few feet after that the strap went slack as the Explorers climbed on their own.

Diffwhackdaddy on his way up in his reincarnated Explorer.

Man the west coast is so beautiful.

Mid West silly :)
EDIT:
Mid South West, ahhh heck Colorado, Utah and Arizona

UT is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!

Looks like fun, now I am sad.

410Fortune said:
Mid West silly :)

Correction... Southwest. Chicago and Des Moines are in the Mid West and they sure don't look like that!! ;)

Partial list of carnage... best I can remember!!!

Tdavis - busted transfercase output shaft and roll over.

Marshall - click click BOOM! was the sound of the weekend with his broken locker. At the very end of Metal Masher he also trashed a D-44 U-joint.

Joey - His Explorer made it to the trail head for Metal Masher and then would not re-start. His fuel pump went bad or the wiring to the pump was causing problems.

Mike Boyle - His nearly stock Explorer didn't complain a bit... until we got back to the trailhead where Joey's truck was parked. Then his 5 year old Optima decided it had had enough.

Josh - Josh layed his truck over ever so gently climbing Hells Gate in the RAIN. He suffered a few deep scratches on the drivers side, but his mirror didn't break and there are no large dents. That was Friday's run which I didn't make. Joey and Tom braved the rain in their open vehicles, but I wimped out. I was prepared for heat this weekend, not rainm, YUCK. Joey has video of the "rain run" which he will post when he gets home.

Wow! Great Pics. :thumbsup: I'm jealous, I sure missed out on a lot of fun. It sucks when "work" (I hate that four letter word) gets in the way :fire:

I just got back! Man what a awesome trip! Ill have video and pictures up by tonight! Including Marshalls music video! CLICK CLICK BOOM!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WOW! I haven't been up to utah in a while and those pics reminded me just how muck i miss it. Do you think you guys got enough pics? :D It wouldn't be a run without a rollover, would it? Nice!

Back