RJ's B2 Build | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RJ's B2 Build

I started building my second RBV, a Bronco ii.

This thread is to post about and document the work done to the car, so it can help others that are building a b2 or ranger based vehicle. This is actually my second build thread about this rig, the first one was accidentally deleted.

I picked up this 1990 bronco ii in august of 2016. It's an automatic, 4x4, Eddie Bauer edition, that was already spray painted green when I bought it. But it had what I wanted, cruise control, factory a/c, electric Windows and locks, (although none that stuff worked, it was there for the fixin') and it was a fair price for a b2 with decent interior..... Almost none of the other ones on Craigslist had a good interior, or they wanted way too much money.

wp_ss_20171206_0005.png

So why build another 4x4 when i already have a built up explorer/Navajo?
Well this one just has a different vision for it. I don't plan for this one to be big and crazy and an all out dedicated trail rig. At least not for a few years. I want this car to be capable off road, but retain as much road manners as possible. Almost more like an overlanding vehicle. I want to be able to drive it long distances, use it for camping and mountain biking, and for four wheeling, but not something that needs a trailer.

So I want to keep the lift to a minimum, keep things relatively simple. Put some 33's, trim the fenders, some lockers, and just keep fine tuning everything as I go along.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haven't thought about TDS. I really should get that steering box replaced before any more trips.

Sorry, don't have a spare one of those...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I have a OEM box you can have, but its out of that Ohio donor Explorer, might have been leaking, and I was not able to remove the pitman arm. You would also have to take a drive down to pick it up. Mines due for a AutoZone rebuild warranty replacement sometime soon. I will eventually go with a better built box.

If only there was a common interest place we could all meet . :dunno:

If only there was a common interest place we could all meet . :dunno:

Thanks, I needed a good laugh. I don't think I can make TDS this year.

This should make packing camp a little better...

Picked up an off road camping utility trailer.

5D3B296A-144B-4A51-B04F-A0528BA474B7.jpeg

7816136D-76C6-496D-B646-F2DFBBF77DC8.jpeg

98987BAC-3112-4D52-83B4-97A2D47E8E52.jpeg

Still need to wire trailer lights to from my car and buy a rooftop tent for it. But I couldn't pass it up for the price.

@mounty71 whens Pismo?

Picking up my truck tomorrow so I was actually trying to get some people to do a quick trip next weekend, provided the weather holds out as well. I’ll keep you posted.

Finally finally finally replaced my steering gear. Its been bad ever since truckhaven in November and gradually getting worse since then.

I went with a box from redhead steering gears, it's supposed to be a better built box with some machining and bearing changes that get rid of the Ford slop. I've only driven about 10 minutes on it but it's way better then my old box. I can't compare it to a stock box because mine was busted. But it definitely took slot of slop out and the steering feels very direct. The steering also is very light. But I know these cars have light steering from the factory. My alignment isn't perfect, and it's still a lifted TTB so it's not like driving a stock new car, but definitely an improvement. I think I might another issue in my steering that might need to be checked. But one thing at a time. Once I drive on the freeway then I'll really be able to tell the difference.

658933DB-BA24-45AA-B628-33C0971B3CF2.jpeg

9B1AFBB9-3D8A-4A25-BE38-0618D2666B0F.jpeg

B1655C68-25B7-4D25-A985-12C73C23B24B.jpeg

I'm sorry......it's to clean now. You need to go get this dirty now:D

I'm sorry......it's to clean now. You need to go get this dirty now:D

Just being on my car it will get dirty within a week

Well I guess messing with my power steering hoses disrupted all the crud and gunk that was keeping them sealed. Cause the next day after my steering gear install there was p/s fluid under my car. So I replaced the hoses today. Should be nice and leak free now.

6946FF83-A09A-42ED-9776-EA1C772F9CB0.jpeg

2FF8F600-D15D-4E23-B842-2C1355FEE01E.jpeg

I also placed my order for a roof top tent.

Had my wheel bearings blow up this week.

Anyone have spare D35 spindles they want to sell? I think mine need replacing

899B5E54-2A92-44CE-B191-C89A7BD488F8.png

those spindles are getting a little bit harder to find now, many of them have the threads all *****ed up right where you need the lock ring washer tab to sit. They are over $300 each new
I keep a box of spares, but now I am thinking of going D44 ttb so I may not need them
I have found over the years running 35's on the d35 ttb why the outer jamb nut works its way loose and you end up with loose wheel bearings. A real simple trick is to take the lock ring washer and add a little material to the tab with a welder, then file it back down until it fits the groove EXACTLY with no side to side play. That tiny little bit of side to side play that a worn out spindle or even new lock ring washer has inside the groove is what works them loose, slowly. Warn used to make a fix for this, basically they added some set screws to the jamb nut so it would lock up against the ring tight. For me I just get new lock ring washers that fit the groove the best they can then add a tiny little tab on one side with the welder, file it back down to flat and when it fits in there snug you are good to go. I have not had a wheel bearing issue since and I run 35's with a ARB locker

I used to clean up the threads with a little brake parts cleaner on a rag, then used thread locker on the outer nut. They never loosened if I did that.

I never tried lock tite on there! interesting idea.
I always clean the threads, I clean everything like if it was surgery! OCD much?

Dang, missed a chance to offload some of my D35 spindles....I mean help a forum member. A quick zap with the buzzbox was what I did to hold me nuts on.

Since switching to the D44 spindles things stay in place much better. You didn't happen to find a set of those elusive Kopycat TTB brackets did you?

Back