roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread.

roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread. Back From the Dead & Finished

Well, after some thought and planning, I've decided to go ahead and start the restoration project of my mountaineer. I've been lurking through the explorerforum threads for quite some time. I guess I would call myself an amateur paint/body guy but we'll see how it works out. I'd like to say thanks to "MONMIX" for some influential chime ins and threads that I've studied and added to my book of notes. If you guys notice anything that I should change or attempt differently, just let me know. Constructive Criticism in my book is help, whether it's positive or negative.

I have about 30 hours in her so far and I'm sure plenty more to go. Well, on with the pics!

The Original, yes, those are aviator wheels.
IMGA0246.jpg

The start:
IMGA0154.jpg

LOL
IMGA0171.jpg

Stripped down...

DSCN1287.jpg

DSCN1288.jpg

<
DSCN1283.jpg

DSCN1282.jpg

My kiddies...
DSCN1303.jpg

Little dent repair..
DSCN1292.jpg

DSCN1289.jpg

DSCN1294.jpg

Dent Repair Complete....
DSCN1299.jpg

DSCN1301.jpg

DSCN1302.jpg

More pics to follow from this past weekend........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've been toying with doing that to my headlights for a long time- looks good so far

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Little teaser pic........

DSCN2082.jpg

FROADER said:
Ooohh, the 275s look good on there. Any clearance issues on the inside of the tire?

lol, none! :)

those tires look soo nice under there! you need to get this finshed

ok, little update, a **** load of work for such small results.

I'll have some better overall pics today.

Started working on some random BS,
Headlight Valance.
DSCN2086.jpg

DSCN2091.jpg

DSCN2100.jpg

DSCN2101.jpg

Someone brought up the question about the blinkers which I realized a little late. I'm going to have to paint those black as well to match. They're such a pain in the a55 to get apart.

Those rear plastic pieces behind the rear wheels. I had to modify these to fit because I won't be using the original door and panel moldings that came with the mounty.

DSCN2087.jpg

DSCN2092.jpg

DSCN2093.jpg

Starting the fenders. I want to get an idea as to what the truck is going to look like all white as opposed to that ugly two tone gray.

DSCN2096.jpg

DSCN2103.jpg

DSCN2104.jpg

DSCN2119.jpg

Today this fender goes on the truck.

Gas Lid

DSCN2117.jpg

At this point, I just want to get done lol.

Stay tuned!

Oh yeah, if you notice the windshield is back in. Yay!

jtsmith said:
:thumbsup:
lemme know how you get those marker lights apart please

I'll PM you in a few...

Here's an idea so you can appreciate the size of the rear tires. I'm digging em

DSCN2088.jpg

a lot of fuss over those tires- not that they don't look good etc., but they are about 30mm narrower than i'd have assumed by reading everyones comments.

With the right backspacing and the emergency brake cable relocated you can fit 305s out back without sticking out too far/looking bad... Heck i'm bagged and tucking 265s and our escape is on 275s all the way around.

i'll be looking forward to more pictures

-drew

man you have made a lot of progress. Im digging it so far. keep it up man.

Sure is coming along well.

expo5.0 said:
a lot of fuss over those tires- not that they don't look good etc., but they are about 30mm narrower than i'd have assumed by reading everyones comments.

With the right backspacing and the emergency brake cable relocated you can fit 305s out back without sticking out too far/looking bad... Heck i'm bagged and tucking 265s and our escape is on 275s all the way around.

i'll be looking forward to more pictures

-drew

I agree, after the test fit, I could fit a lot more in the wheel well without rubbing but not if I was lower. Right now the wheels that I'm running are a 14 mm offset and if I was about an inch lower I'd rub the **** out of the outer fender lip. Really not a problem since you could easily shave them. So as backup, yes, you could definitely fit bigger tires with the correct backspacing, offset, ride height combo. It really depends on the truck and setup you're running.

Update 8-10-06. Rear Bumper is finished. I painted the plastic covers black and I think I'm liking it. I was a little sketchy at first.

DSCN2134.jpg

DSCN2133.jpg

DSCN2135.jpg

I like the contrast of the black. Looks awesome all around. :thumbsup:

was the bumper originally chrome or was it body color to begin with? plus, what steps did you take to paint the plastic bumper cover on top?

This is how body work should be done. Major props.

what wheels do you have? it keeps gettin nicer and nicer keep it up

Back