Completed Project - Stic-o's 2nd gen. radius arm/coil SAS | Page 33 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Stic-o's 2nd gen. radius arm/coil SAS

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Well it's Finaly Time to Start this thread.

Intro
In April of 2006 I will be doing a Solid Axle Swap on my '99 Explorer XL. Through the entire prosess I will be takink pics and updateing when there is is new info. I've pretty much always known I was going to do a SAS in my truck all along. For this reason, I have never but a dime into my front axle. I just never saw the point if I was going to rip it out.

The Plan

I plan to run a High Pinion Dana 44 full width in the front. I will be using Early Bronco Coils, posiablly 5.5" lift coils. I am still unsure of what I will be using for Radius arms, as we are still in the works. I would like to do a 3 link in the front but I don't think it's possiable with the cast wedges. I will be running 5.13 gears and plan to use anywhere from a 35" tire to a 37" tire, depending what I find. In the rear, I will be going to a 86-96 full width 8.8 off a Bronco/F-150. This will give me the ability to keep my speedometer, as well as reuseing my current locker, BTF Cover, and Disc Brakes. This will also give me a 5x5.5 pattern, and width almost dead on with the front. I would also like to move the rear leaf springs to the outside of the frame with the FW 8.8 to get rid of the spring hangers under the back doors that we all get caught on.

There alot of things still unsure, and I will figure it out as I go. Unfortally only small things will be done, until late March. Lack of funds will keep me from doing much until then. The axle will be set to go in the truck in April sometime though. Now let get to the goods. Pictures :D

The Meat
12287D44.jpg

A side dish of parts

12287SAS_Parts.jpg

I can't wait for dessert :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So we discoverd over the weekend that was never anything wrong with the steering box we replaced. The current one makes the same noise. So we started to investigate. ;) It turns out we welded the outer frame bracket but not the inner to the frame. so even with it bolted on tightly the box is shifting around when the wheel is turned. enough where the bolts are hitting the frame in the holes and making a clanking noise. We will weld the inner plate, and it should elimnate this.

Meanwhile I plan to replace the u-joint in the front axle this weekend. I have managed to lose 2 caps off the passanger side while driving around on the street :rolleyes: I think I have a better understanding on installing them now, so I'll give it another try. ;) Then it's just extending the front shaft and replacing all the joints in it, and she will be 4WD again :thumbsup: :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Jefe said:
Well that makes me feel confident in your craftsmanship. :eek:

No, we never welded it on purpose. It was easier to get the box in and out at that point. However now that we have had it out a few times, it's pretty simple with the plate sitting in there. ;)

Stic-o said:
No, we never welded it on purpose. It was easier to get the box in and out at that point. However now that we have had it out a few times, it's pretty simple with the plate sitting in there. ;)
Sounds like that guy on Saturday Night Live; "Yeah..........I meant to do that.........Yeah, thats it, thats the ticket..." :confused:

Stic-o said:
Meanwhile I plan to replace the u-joint in the front axle this weekend. I have managed to lose 2 caps off the passanger side while driving around on the street :rolleyes:

Even with your hubs unlocked?

JoshC said:
Even with your hubs unlocked?

Yeah I think some of the clips were missing, I knew I was going to have to deal with this later though. Rushed through that part during the SAS build, knowing I'd have to go back and fix it. I think I only went through 3 joints at the time, in the press, kept blowing the caps apart :mad:

Well at least you are good at it now :D Any tips you can share on the proper way to do it?

JoshC said:
Well at least you are good at it now :D Any tips you can share on the proper way to do it?

Let me try to do one and see if I have it right first , before I go giving advise :p

Stic-o said:
So we discoverd over the weekend that was never anything wrong with the steering box we replaced.

How much you want for your extra box? I need one to practice on for making hydro assist?

RockRanger said:
... making hydro assist?
woot :D Please do a writeup if you do this - this is one of the things I want to accomplish before next summer rolls around.

RockRanger said:
How much you want for your extra box? I need one to practice on for making hydro assist?

I think Pick a Part charged me $45 bucks for it. a bit extra for the pull would be nice though ;)

can you nget me rear rocker skirts painted or chrome that wont rip my arm out of the socket for cost?

moose1 said:
can you nget me rear rocker skirts painted or chrome that wont rip my arm out of the socket for cost?

I can check next time I'm down there, but you should just cut them off, like me. They get in the way. :p

Thank God for Stic-Cam

Well that little camera of mine is good for other things then movies. Today I mounted the camera on the rear axle looking tords the t-case to see how bad the vibration was and if I could see the issue.

I'll let the video do the talking. ;)

Driveshaft Test

This will also introduce you too "Solid PictuerS", formally "Stic-o Productions"

I also bought a domain, just got to get the website up and running. It will be www.solidpics.com ;)

I actually took the video and slowed it down as much as possible in my program. It amazing what you can see then. You can actually watch the shaft move from side to side during rotations. So it is very noticeable that the spacer we drilled is off centered. However it served it's purpose. Got the truck back on the road for a few weeks. I should be getting a new d-shaft in the next week or so. ;)

that is a awsome vid!!!! You need to do that on your next wheeling trip. BTW what did you use to keep the cam safe??? Tape, hose clamps?? I need to know

thanks

Back