Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 52 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
^ Q7 is very nice, but also 18K more starting price than an Explorer. Not a trivial amount by any means.

A gas 2014 Q7 Premium Plus can be had for low to mid 50's. Very competitive with Limiteds and Sports, and much better quality and ride.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A gas 2014 Q7 Premium Plus can be had for low to mid 50's. Very competitive with Limiteds and Sports, and much better quality and ride.

Limiteds with 301 and Sunroof can be had for high 30's... still 12-15K difference... no matter how much better (subjective) an Audi rides or perceived better build quality its not affordable for a lot of people.

I wanted to post my experience with my 2013 Ford Explorer. I bought this vehicle 8 months ago and have noticed an exhaust gas smell inside my vehicle even with the AC on recirculate. Took it to the dealer, they told me it is a known issue and that there is a fix for it. I got it back after 4 days and the smell did reduce but still present sometimes when i accelerate to get on the ramp. I called the dealer to complain and he asked me to bring it back and that's when a buddy of mine sent me a link to this forum. Shocked to learn there's so many customers out there having this same issue and ford still not doing anything about this. I decided not to wait any longer since I have a 2 year old kid who i suspect has been getting sick due to this smell. Went to the acura dealership, traded in this piece of junk for the RDX. I ended up losing some money but its only because i didn't want my family to breathe in the exhaust each time we get in the car. I decided to buy the Ford because first and foremost, i wanted to buy local and american made products. (never again !!)....

I expected better from Ford engineers.

Same here. Traded in MDX to buy American (for the first time). Will not be doing so after we're done with the Explorer. Way to go Ford. You lost a customer for life 2 weeks into the ownership experience but not fixing a problems 2-3 years into the current design.

For me, the problem is doesn't manifest itself since I'm in NYC. Can't WOT without exceeding speed limit but I do know the problem is there when I take it out of the city.

Try the Q7, Touareg, and the X5. All available in Diesel (I get 32 MPG hwy with the '13 Touareg TDI). Q7 has 3rd row. Build quality is much, much better. I like my wife's '11 Explorer, but I'm glad It's hers. Once you go German, you'll never go back.

Limiteds with 301 and Sunroof can be had for high 30's... still 12-15K difference... no matter how much better (subjective) an Audi rides or perceived better build quality its not affordable for a lot of people.

I was able to finally convince my spouse to buy European this time but ended up with Explorer as it presented the best 3rd row specs. Pathfinder/JX35/MDX/Q7/Highlander/X5 3rd rows just doesn't stack up to the Explorer in 3rd row legroom and headroom. The worst is the X5. JX35/Pathfinder/MDX/Highlander are second and Q7 is a close third.

Maintenance on a Q7 is projected to be the highest out of these models.

Personally I don't know what Audi did with all the room. It's got a large, if not the largest, external footprint but it didn't translate to a largest interior.

Has anyone submitted their info to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ ?

That's linked into the NHTSA database. I submitted mine and it looks like 5-6 others have as well for the smell.

Not sure if it will help anything but at least it will be recorded somewhere.

Burnt smell in the cabin when suddenly accelerate

Yesterday I took my 2013 XLT Explorer to the dealer again to have check for a burnt smell coming into the cabin when sudden acceleration is done. This is my second time bringing the vehicle to have it check for the same issue. First time, they have my Explorer for 48 hours and returned to me saying when parts arrive I have to bring it again, I did so (August 2013) and they have it for three more days. They said the problem was solved, but was not. I am waiting to hear from the dealer with a diagnosis.

Anybody experience the same?. It is frustrating to deal with an issue like this in a brand new vehicle. She has only 17,000 miles.

Yesterday I took my 2013 XLT Explorer to the dealer again to have check for a burnt smell coming into the cabin when sudden acceleration is done. This is my second time bringing the vehicle to have it check for the same issue. First time, they have my Explorer for 48 hours and returned to me saying when parts arrive I have to bring it again, I did so (August 2013) and they have it for three more days. They said the problem was solved, but was not. I am waiting to hear from the dealer with a diagnosis.

Anybody experience the same?. It is frustrating to deal with an issue like this in a brand new vehicle. She has only 17,000 miles.
Welcome to the Forum IvanS.:wavey:
It is unfortunate that after 4 model years that Ford has not been able to fix this issue. As for your question, "Anybody experience the same?" This thread is full of members with the same issue and multiple trips to the dealer with very few satisfied owners.
Good luck.

Peter

So I have a question:

Why did this issue essentially stop for me when I started using premium gas? My smell was definitely the "exhaust/sulfur" smell - others report something different. I had the smell for the first couple of weeks I had my Sport, and then I switched to premium fuel and I haven't noticed it since :confused:

I came out of a long line of performance sedans, and I don't cut my Sport any slack. I drive it hard on a regular basis. Yesterday I happened to come across a long, empty freeway entrance ramp with no merge traffic and lets just say I took FULL advantage of it :D No stink.....

I have NEVER had my climate control set to recirculate the air; from day one it has always been set to "fresh". Yet... I had the smell, and then I didn't, and the only thing that changed was the switch to 92+ octane gas.

It's just very bizarre.

The only other thing I noticed was that at one point I replaced the hitch cover - I had it off for a while but then put it back on, and I can't remember when I did that or if there is any correlation, but regardless, it's all very strange.

Just putting this out here for a data point. I'm happy that, at least for now, I no longer have the cabin smell issue, but I really wish I knew WHY....

So I have a question:

Why did this issue essentially stop for me when I started using premium gas? My smell was definitely the "exhaust/sulfur" smell - others report something different. I had the smell for the first couple of weeks I had my Sport, and then I switched to premium fuel and I haven't noticed it since :confused:

I came out of a long line of performance sedans, and I don't cut my Sport any slack. I drive it hard on a regular basis. Yesterday I happened to come across a long, empty freeway entrance ramp with no merge traffic and lets just say I took FULL advantage of it :D No stink.....

I have NEVER had my climate control set to recirculate the air; from day one it has always been set to "fresh". Yet... I had the smell, and then I didn't, and the only thing that changed was the switch to 92+ octane gas.

It's just very bizarre.

The only other thing I noticed was that at one point I replaced the hitch cover - I had it off for a while but then put it back on, and I can't remember when I did that or if there is any correlation, but regardless, it's all very strange.

Just putting this out here for a data point. I'm happy that, at least for now, I no longer have the cabin smell issue, but I really wish I knew WHY....

I run 93 in mine and still had it.

So I have a question:

It's just very bizarre.

Different formulation of gas or gas contents maybe? I posted on here a while back on how I don't get the smell no matter how hard I drive when I run E-85.

Now that the price of gas has come back down I have been running 87 octane and the smell is back....

cabin smell

Different formulation of gas or gas contents maybe? I posted on here a while back on how I don't get the smell no matter how hard I drive when I run E-85.

Now that the price of gas has come back down I have been running 87 octane and the smell is back....

It is NOT the gas. I have only used premium gas in my sport since I purchased it. You should not be using anything but premium gas with a turbo in the first place btw.

It is NOT the gas. I have only used premium gas in my sport since I purchased it. You should not be using anything but premium gas with a turbo in the first place btw.

Not all Explorers have a turbo.
huie1983 has a base model.

Just more strangeness :)

There is at least some anecdotal evidence that suggests that different formulations MIGHT contribute to the sulfur smell. They are different in just about every part of the country (just one if the problems with the "boutique" formulation strategy we have in the US...). Sulfur content can vary considerably. I'm tempted to switch back and see what happens. It's fun research, even if it proves nothing:

"But honey, I HAVE to go fast... it's for your own safety..." :D

Correct, I have a base with the 3.5 V6 non turbo and FWD, 5500 miles now.

I have noticed that with 87-91 octane I have the smell, e-85 no smell. Just my findings.

Correct, I have a base with the 3.5 V6 non turbo and FWD, 5500 miles now.

I have noticed that with 87-91 octane I have the smell, e-85 no smell. Just my findings.
I'm assuming that E85 gasoline also has a much lower sulphur content.

Peter

I'm assuming that E85 gasoline also has a much lower sulphur content.

Peter

85% ethanol has to be some nasty stuff that probably has no sulphur in it. I have seen first hand what just 10% does to small engines and it isn't pretty.

I and many others run regular 87 octane and don't have this "smell". PeterK9 has stated he also doesn't have it. I run my Ex hard all the time and have never experienced this smell in my Ex. I know it does exist and is not exclusively a Ford problem because I have a friend that has a 2013 GMC Sierra that has this smell during hard acceleration and I have smelled it.

My guess is it has something to do with the material used in the catalytic converters.

85% ethanol .. I have seen first hand what just 10% does to small engines and it isn't pretty.
Apples and Oranges...small carbureted engine fuel systems are not designed for it. E85 certified cars are. Much ado about nothing. The big problem with E85 is the poorer fuel mileage performance vs normal.

...small carbureted engine fuel systems are not designed for it. E85 certified cars are. Much ado about nothing.

Much ado about nothing? Maybe to you but not everyone. Do you have any experience rebuilding a fuel injection system on a motorcycle, or outboard motor, that ethanol destroyed?
Didn't think so.

There is no E85 here in La. There is also more stations switching to pure gas instead of the E10 partly because of what it is doing to many fuel systems. We are also seeing a large increase in LNG stations popping up.

I wonder if the "smell" would occur in a LPG burning vehicle?

Whether using a higher octane gas fixes the problem is irrelevant (but it does help diagnose the problem). Ford sold us a car that uses 87 and if the problem exist running 87, Ford needs to fix it.

Much ado about nothing? Maybe to you but not everyone. Do you have any experience rebuilding a fuel injection system on a motorcycle, or outboard motor, that ethanol destroyed?
Didn't think so.

Uh...I see reading comprehension is your weak spot. Re-read what I said. Small engines = problem. E85 certified cars = not a problem. I think so...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you smell it or not depending on what fuel you use that day is irrelevant. That just means the exhaust fumes are still in the cabin, you just don't smell them. CO is odorless.

My biggest concern is being subjected to dangerous fumes when I take my family for a ride.

I do smell something on occasion, either I am lucky and don't have the issue or it is very mild, in my case.

I do have plans to pick up a $50 CO meter from eBay to make sure I don't have it on my cabin at high levels.
Anybody have any experience with decent cheap meters?

Sometimes I get headaches when I drive. Is it CO or a hard day at work?

Back