1960 Dodge Dart Seneca Project | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1960 Dodge Dart Seneca Project

dart_seneca.jpg
1960-dodge.jpg
Here is a pic of the dash from the same model:
IMG_1124.jpg

The brown car in the attached photo is the actual car I bought. The green car is what they looked like new.

It's a beast that's for sure! I really like the front bumper and the dash on this model. If I decide to keep her my plan is to drop in a ridiculously powerful BB Mopar and have a hell of sleeper on the street:D When I say ridicoulously powerful I'm thinking along the lines of 750 - 1000hp on pump gas:burnout: A turbo motor isn't out of the question.

I'm hoping that buying the car will be more motiviation for me to build a detached garage to store our current rides. I will need the whole attached garage for the restoration on the "new" Dart.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Don't ya hate it when you replace a part, and you still have the same problem? Then you pull your hair out continuing to diagnose the problem?

Well that happened to me. I replaced the thermostat first thing when I bought the car because it was overheating. I had been scouring the forums trying to find out if the /6 is prone to overheating. It's not, but I found that a lot of guys like the Stant Superstat, so I ordered one from Amazon.

IT WORKED!!!

Yes indeed it worked. Instead of getting to 230+ degrees on my "test track" it now barely gets to 200:chug: The test track is 10 miles each way. It takes me across the Hassaympa River bed where you have to climb fairly steep hills to get back out.

The stock Explorer engine can barely hold 55 on those hills. The 225CI turbo /6 pulls it at 70 :D

Now I can cruise this baby:D

Update...

I blew the clutch that was behind the slant six. The engine was running good enough to get me to Wickenburg and back, but was not reliable enough to drive in city traffic.

I decided that rather than throw any more money at the slant six it was finally time for an engine swap. After going back and forth ever since buying the car, I finally decided to go with a built 318 poly. I found a guy in Southern California who "wrote the book" on poly motors. He will be building my motor which will be between 390 and 408 cubic inches depending on what kind of a bore is needed to restore the cylinders to round. He doesn't like going to the maximum overbore just to get bigger numbers, since it means the engine is either a throw away if it ever needs to be bored again.

He also has an aluminum dual quad manifold which is period correct. It's a beautiful looking setup and will look great under the hood.

Under the hood... well of course I couldn't just throw a new motor in the old cruddy engine compartment, so... I'm tearing into it big time. No, I'm not doing a full resto, just a real nice engine compartment and front subframe detail. I plan on stripping the firewall, inner fenders, core support, etc and bringing them back to like new appearance.

I may have bitten off more than I can chew. The engine is supposed to be done in two months. Right now it seems that I have more than two months of work to get it all back together. I have seen ads for mobile media blasting services. If I could get someone out here to strip all the parts down to bare metal that would save me a load of time and I could get busy on primer, paint and reassembly. I plan on investigating that possibility on Monday.

What's a poly motor? :scratch:

That car must have had a V-8 option at the time, was it the 318?

Polyspherical combustion chambers. Also known as the "semi hemi". It uses canted valves like the hemi, but with only one rocker shaft instead of two. The heads aren't known to be great for flow, but they are great torque producers. The setup I'm looking at should be around 425 HP and 450ft lbs. The torque band is very wide too making it an excellent choice for a street motor... Or so I'm told. We'll soon find out for sure ;)

ml-poly318-house-guest.jpg

318-chamber.jpg

Oh, yeah, the block is almost identical to the later model small block Mopars, but the deck is different so the heads won't interchange from one to another. Everything else swaps. Crank, timing chain, water pump, fuel pump, distributor etc.

That giant block should make things fun
steer.gif

Wow! That is one sexy looking car.

That giant block should make things fun
steer.gif

Actually the block is the same size as a smallblock Mopar. The heads are wider though.

All blasted and ready to go... I laid down the epoxy primer today:thumbsup:

Attachments

• blasted_parts.jpg
    blasted_parts.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 543

Come on down the weather's great :D

Damn, that's a Beaut! I love those huge late 50's Early 60's cars, they demand respect.

Thanks, it definitely gets attention everywhere it goes!

I started a website for the Seneca to keep track of the project:

www.60Dart.com

dash2.jpg
frame_black.jpg
white_firewall.jpg
gauges.jpg
3-20-14-Dual-Quad-Poly-Stroker.jpg
Happy day!! I'm done with the paint work:bounce::chug:

Time to start the re-wiring :D

I got an email from the engine builder yesterday. The engine has been broken in and dynoed. He said everything went well. I am awaiting a call and email with the dyno sheet.

Looking good Rick!. The engine choice is pretty unique. I don't recall seeing valve covers like that before. The steps are kinda cool!

..:scratch:..January 1st, 2005?

..It's time for someone to set the clock on there camera..I get nervous when people send me pics of items I'm paying for and the date stamp is off by years..:D

unwrapped.jpg
unwrapped2.jpg
Finally unwrapped :D

Back