21Robbie21 SAS | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

21Robbie21 SAS

ok so last night i went and picked up a '84 wagoneer D44 Full Width or WT, Driver Drop, Non-Vac Disconnect, W/Locking Hubs, Complete, its got rust and mud, but it seems good to go. I'm going to run leaves for simplicity. I am 2wd right now and the SAS will be the first step toward 4wd. The axle is 63" wide so i think im going to run spacers in the back. I want to do this as cheap as possible. I want to run 36" Iroks or another 36/37 when im finished. Im hoping to finish in ~3 months, but im not sure how realistic that is. Bryan (BMXking) lives close to me, and if he ever finishes his :D he will have the PRIVELEDGE of helping me :thumbsup: i am open to any suggestions, ideas, tips, tricks, specs, references, or anything that might help me do this project professionally, cheaply, and quickly. I just spent 200 on this axle, ordered a yakima roof basket, and a new cobra CB and antenna, so im outta cash for now, and im going to PC for spring break on April 1st so i might not take any steps these next two-three weeks. But after that im anxious!

sorry the rugs arent a good background, but its in the unfinished part of my basement and thats whats on the floor and damn this thing is heavy!
100_1347.jpg

100_1351.jpg

100_1348.jpg

you think its dirty now? this is after i hosed and scrubbed of the initial Cm thick covering of mud

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no he used his own welder and it worked on only 110v and did just fine. And it definately wasnt just tacks, you lined the hole thing, but whatever dont worry about it. I am just worried about you fully welding your own car.

allright he must have had a welder with more amps so it worked better...the welds on my truck are pretty good..my rear hangers (ive already had at least 1k pounds in the bed and nothing happened) but that leaves my front hanger..its on there good cause the truck fell off the stands thats where it landed and nothing happened...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

any updates ?? i wanna see this thing wheel !!!

any updates ?? mines almost rollin now robbie !!

Shock Towers--

What Part Number Did U Get For F250 Shock Towers???
F4TZ 18183/4 A??????

Come on slacker... :p:
Haha, he's actually about to have it towed to the shop I work at so that we can redo his spring hangers and steering for him, and get this thing out on the street soon. :thumbsup:

Robbie's truck is now at the shop I work at (Allsouth Autosports). His front brackets have all been cut out and this coming week we will start building the new ones. His entire front suspension is being redone, we're setting up his steering links, power steering lines, and building a much stronger setup to mount his steering box. We're installing front and rear 4.88s (possibly aussie rear locker), redoing his rear perches, shock mounts, etc. On top of that we are swapping out the transmission and putting in a manual t-case, and front and rear driveshafts. It's definitely going to be an awesome truck when it's all done. :cool: Pics to come soon.

Whew, about time....can't wait to see pics.

Pics Pics Pics !!!!

I forgot the camera at the shop yesterday so still no pics. Hopefully, I'll have some tomorrow. We've built some really tough hangers for the back of the front springs, rewelded the entire front crossmember, and just finished building and installing the upper and lower bump stop brackets, and modified f250 shock towers. It's got a perfect shackle angle now and sits perfect. Started on the steering today. Trans and t-case came in Friday so they should be installed early this week. Still waiting on a few more parts, but it looks like it should be completed in about 1.5 weeks.

I forgot the camera at the shop yesterday so still no pics. Hopefully, I'll have some tomorrow.

You're killing me man!

Sounds like you all are making good progress. Looking forward to seeing how things are turning out.

no crap on robbie..but if a shop did my truck..it wouldnt be as rewarding in the long run to me.. i hope yall are using Yukon or anything besides genuine gear R&P..they suck..

oh yea did yall figure out why his pinion on the front would not turn at all ?

Why would it be a bad thing that Robbie is having us redo it for him? He's at school, and doesn't have a welder, so there is no way that he can get it finished in a reasonable amount of time, and every single weld on his Explorer was weak, as well as hideous. He's needed a DD again for a while, so it needs to get done. He won't have to worry about working out all of the problems that occur when someone tries to do it themself, when they haven't done it before (just like I had to deal with last year). You may not think it's very rewarding saying that a shop rebuilt it for you, but what about the fact that he'll now have a SAFE and extremely capable truck that just can't be built in his driveway in a short period of time.:thumbsup:

The pinion turns just fine. I saw it today and one of the hubs was between lock and free. I turned it to free and everything turned normally...maybe he fixed the problem before it got to the shop, cause I doubt the hub being half way locked was the problem y'all have been trying to fix. Also, we primarily install Yukon gears.

Say Hi to Robbie for me please :D

ya james we will see how rewarding it is for you when your truck falls apart on the highway and blows up. Yeah i would of liked to have done it all myself, and you cant say i didnt try, but it just became unreasonable for me. Yes im sure plenty of people out there, just like the ones on this site can learn and build it themselves. I also dont think one of those people is you. I mean come on james, the guy i paid to come do welds, were 100's times better than yours, and when bryan put my car up on the lift two of the welds just snapped off that he had done. Im not trying to be an #######, its just i dont think your truck is going to be safe.

ANyways.. i can't wait till this thing is done finally and i can actually DRIVE, but more importantly, go offroading. ;)

ANd IZ, just cause i don't work on my car anymore, doesnt mean i dont come to the website, its just i dont have much to say... i mean i was kind of embarassed at first that i had to give in to paying someone, especially since there is like over a thousand dollars wasted on overlap since they have to redo things. Not to mention now bryan is the one who knows whats going on not me, since he is posession of the truck at this time so he makes the posts. But once it is done when are we going to have a big east coast run where we can meet up IZ? :)

I didnt build the explorer I wheel this time either, and it's rewarding when I get to drive it. Plus, I know if something fails that the shop did, they will be the ones out of pocket.

Congrats on a well built rig.

Props to you for knowing you were in over your head and getting it done right then having it fail down the road. As long as you have fun and like the finished project that is what counts. With that said just a few things you may want to consider: Make sure you have the specality tools to replace parts that may break on the trail. An exaple of this was in moab this past year. A member broke an upgraded TRE on the trail. HE had the stock one to replace however no one had the hex wrench to take it apart to fix it. One tool and a 30 min fix ended up turning into, sitting on the trail with are cell phones tracking down the owner of the company that made the kit to find what the tre was off of. Once we had that info it was another 6 hours before the new part was there then the 3 hours out the rest of the trail.

Back