Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Thanks to NICE59FORD100 (one of the Moderators here) for posting the actual TSB. The link of the thread is here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375226

Maybe that thread can be consolidated here as well for all the affected owners to see.

@DesrtExplorer: I know how you feel! I was so happy to find out about the TSB. While I do know that it is a 100% solution, at least I know FORD has done something after 2 years!

@IronPyro: Go get the SPORT! hehe!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it is 12-12-4 as posted by RILEY.

MANY THANKS NICE59FORD100 for the TSB details! Cheers indeed!

Can't wait to hear if this solves the problem for people. After the first few go I will definitely be making an appt. if all goes well.

Be Sure to read the very bottom of this post. Only to be conducted by an authorized Ford Dealer. The info below is just that, Information on the repair.

ISSUE:

Some 2011-2013 Explorer vehicles may exhibit an exhaust odor in the vehicle with the auxiliary climate control system on. Customers may indicate the odor smells like sulfur.
ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Remove the rear bumper cover. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-19.
  2. Replace the left side rear air extractor. (Figure 1)

tsb_12_12_4_01.jpg

Figure 1 - Article 12-12-4
  3. Open the liftgate and install a new drain valve in each of the two (2) drain holes on the left and right side of the liftgate. (Figure 2)

tsb_12_12_4_02.jpg

Figure 2 - Article 12-12-4
  4. Raise vehicle on hoist. Refer to WSM, Section 100-02.
  5. Lower and support rear section of the exhaust system.
  6. Clean areas on underside of vehicle where seam sealer will be applied. (Figures 3-5)

tsb_12_12_4_03.jpg

Figure 3 - Article 12-12-4

tsb_12_12_4_04.jpg

Figure 4 - Article 12-12-4

tsb_12_12_4_05.jpg

Figure 5 - Article 12-12-4
  7. Cover exhaust system and auxiliary climate control drain.
  8. Apply generous amount of Motorcraft® Seam Sealer to rear horizontal sheet metal lap joints on left and right sides of the vehicle, and the rear sheet metal overlap flange across the rear of the vehicle. (Figures 3-5)
  9. Spray generous amount of 3M™ Rubberized Undercoating around auxiliary air conditioning lines and seam sealer areas. (Figure 6)

tsb_12_12_4_06.jpg

Figure 6 - Article 12-12-4
  10. Install the rear exhaust system.
  11. Install rear bumper cover. Refer to WSM, Section 501-19
  12. Install the left hand and right hand rear fender mouldings. Refer to WSM, Section 501-08.
    1. Apply masking tape around the outer edge of the rear fender mouldings to protect the vehicle from damage.

Obtain Parts LocallyPart NumberPart Name088823M™ Rubberized Undercoating™

PART NUMBERPART NAMEBB5Z-61280B62-ADual Rate Air ExtractorBB5Z-7829164-AAWheel Lip Moulding Right HandBB5Z-7829165-AAWheel Lip Moulding Left Hand4M8Z-54280B62-AValve Assembly Auto DrainTA-2Motorcraft® Seam sealer

The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2012 Ford Motor Company

Many thanks!
I will be making an appointment with Ford dealer in Dubai later and will post updates very soon.

You're very welcomes guys. Like I said, I posted that information on here just so ya'll could see exactly what the repair IS, NOT so ya'll can try it yourselves lol.

Excellent advice Crystal! I think Ford has made strides of progress in quality and product selection, but again, any issues like this, please contact your dealer for repairs, do not attempt any type of repair like this on your own. :)

Thanks, NICE59FORDF100! I'm glad to see that we're both on the same page here. :chug:

Crystal

I stopped in at the dealer yesterday and was told about the TSB. They said parts are on order. I'm not convinced the TSB will fix my issue, since it talks about sulfer, and that's not what I'm smelling....but I sure hope it does.

My Explorer goes in next Wednesday to have the TSB done on it. Hopefully that will end the problem.

For those of you who are saying "It's not such a big deal".....It is a big deal when you have asthma.

I stopped in at the dealer yesterday and was told about the TSB. They said parts are on order. I'm not convinced the TSB will fix my issue, since it talks about sulfer, and that's not what I'm smelling....but I sure hope it does.

Let me know how it goes at the dealership, tjEXPLORER11. I'm always happy to step in and assist if you need me.

Crystal

My Explorer goes in next Wednesday to have the TSB done on it. Hopefully that will end the problem.

For those of you who are saying "It's not such a big deal".....It is a big deal when you have asthma.

Hi JDraper,

Keep me in the loop and let me know how things go at the dealership. Feel free to reach out to me if you need any help.

Thanks!

Crystal

Can't wait to hear the results. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Thanks to NICE59FORD100 (one of the Moderators here) for posting the actual TSB. The link of the thread is here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375226

Maybe that thread can be consolidated here as well for all the affected owners to see.

@DesrtExplorer: I know how you feel! I was so happy to find out about the TSB. While I do know that it is a 100% solution, at least I know FORD has done something after 2 years!

@IronPyro: Go get the SPORT! hehe!
It's gonna be an XLT

Just made appt with my dealers service manager to bring it in Monday for this TSB.

I'll update the group after its complete.

-ern

Just made appt with my dealers service manager to bring it in Monday for this TSB.

-ern

Did the same but to be safe also checked with parts department to make sure they have all 4 parts in stock. Parts guy said one item is only available in Detroit, he ordered it and said it will arrive for a Wed. appt.

I picked up my Explorer Sport Friday and have also noticed the burnt oil smell in the cabin already.

Explorer TSB

Just checked with the Dubai agent. Very surprised to see that i had actually emailed them the TSB. He said Ford has not informed them as yet. But bring in the car we will work on it anyway.

I'm guessing that since I'm over the 60k km mark I'll have to pay for this fix. Warranty work.

I'm guessing that since I'm over the 60k km mark I'll have to pay for this fix. Warranty work.

If you took it to the dealer when it was still under warranty for the issue, it should be covered. That would mean that the problem was initially there in the warranty period. Not your fault that they didn't have a solution at that point.

I made sure that I had my dealer look at it under warranty in case the problem wasn't solved until after my warranty ran out. That way I had it in writing that the problem already existed.

I don't think this is the burnt oil smell either. I didn't smell sulfur. I smelled burnt oil.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

-ern

Did the same but to be safe also checked with parts department to make sure they have all 4 parts in stock. Parts guy said one item is only available in Detroit, he ordered it and said it will arrive for a Wed. appt.

Keep me in the loop, ern3 and sterlinggold. You know how to reach me if you need any assistance.

Crystal

Back