California End of Summer Run 2! | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

California End of Summer Run 2!

Brian as you are heading up the 168 to shaver, you go past the ranger station in Prather you could get a map there. Prather is that small town about 2 miles before you get the the 4 lane that takes you up the hill. Itis where the longs drug store and fosters freeze is. If you guys get your self really stuck up there and need help with extraction or finding parts give me a call on my cell phone and Ill try to track down a few of the wheelers I know in fresno.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

goliath said:
Heres another plot twist... im oficially out, a friend just came up with seats 6 rows back at the 49ers game on friday.
passing on wheeling for a preseason game?!? :eek: :confused: :nono:

What time are you starting? I may have a line on a clutch cable, and if I can get it, I'll just throw in as a spare. I am considering just driving up saturday morning, and then come back that night.

I have the Nor Cal Book with the trails (and will probably have them in the GPS by the time we get there).
So, where are we camping? I'm sure its in this thread somewhere, but I can't find it.

This is the map Stic-O had in the first thread. This is the only map I have of the area... Looks like the 2005 arrow marks the proposed camp... Don't know if that still works.

Attachments

• 1228705_map_to_camp1.jpg
    1228705_map_to_camp1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 195

CG said:
This is the map Stic-O had in the first thread. This is the only map I have of the area... Looks like the 2005 arrow marks the proposed camp... Don't know if that still works.

That would be incorrect then! :D

The plan was to stay at the red dot marked "camp '04" If you look at the first run (2004) there is a map to camp I think. However if you guys want to camp somewhere else, be my guest, sence I will be 600 miles away on a jet ski. ;)

Jefe said:
I have the Nor Cal Book with the trails (and will probably have them in the GPS by the time we get there).
So, where are we camping? I'm sure its in this thread somewhere, but I can't find it.
The camp spot last year was real easy to find, but right next to a paved road and some logging trucks went through there at night. If someone comes up with a better spot, I'm up for that.

I guess I don't need your trail book Stic, thanks for the offer. :thumbsup: ;)

tdavis said:
What time are you starting? I may have a line on a clutch cable, and if I can get it, I'll just throw in as a spare. I am considering just driving up saturday morning, and then come back that night.
Then I would say we start whenever you arrive at camp, chucklehead :confused: The Swamp took us about one hour for every mile of trail last time (13-14 hours) so I think we should hit the trail before 9am.

goliath said:
HILLARIOUS....

Heres another plot twist...

im oficially out, a friend just came up with seats 6 rows back at the 49ers game on friday.

-later
-joshua
Director: OK, let's see - we've got about 3 1/2 days before they actually hit the trail. What if Josh has a "falling out" with his friend?

Assist Director: I think it should be Jefe and Brother_of_Jefe, maybe a bitter disagreement over Control System programming, or Windows vs. Linux?

Director: Or how about if Jefe's transmission is ready on Thursday, so they stay up all night throwing it back in, and the neighbors have them arrested for running air tools at 3AM!

Jefe: Yeah, right. . . and I'll need to remember to bring extra duct tape and wire ties if it has a problem driving all the way to Shaver Lake, along the Swamp Lake Trail, and then home again.

Brother_of_Jefe said:
Director: OK, let's see - we've got about 3 1/2 days before they actually hit the trail. What if Josh has a "falling out" with his friend?

Assist Director: I think it should be Jefe and Brother_of_Jefe, maybe a bitter disagreement over Control System programming, or Windows vs. Linux?

Director: Or how about if Jefe's transmission is ready on Thursday, so they stay up all night throwing it back in, and the neighbors have them arrested for running air tools at 3AM!

Jefe: Yeah, right. . . and I'll need to remember to bring extra duct tape and wire ties if it has a problem driving all the way to Shaver Lake, along the Swamp Lake Trail, and then home again.
Or, Josh's friend gives his ticket to a hot chick he is trying to nail......and Bro of Jefe's Jeep suffers major breakage in his driveway.............I've heard Jeeps do that sometimes, "spontaneous fallapartis"

And.............CG gets busted crossing the border just like the nuns in "Up In Smoke".

OK, so to camp:

From Fresno . . . 180 East to Hwy 168 East. Contine up the hill on Hwy. 168

Once going up the hill. There is a small gas station in Prather, called Tiny Mart. This is the last gas I saw going up the hill. So fill up at the bottom or here. However gas was not cheap here at $2.39 a Gallon for Reg. Not to long after this you will come to a stop sign. 168 contines to your left. Make the left and go north about 14 miles. On your right you will see a big "Napa" sign at Dinky Creek Road. Turn right here and the camp ground is 3 miles north on your right. There are no signs there.

Map:
12287to_camp_copy-med.jpg

Does anybody have a fire permit for up there or planning to get one?

Weather.com:
Sunny and clear
Highs: 75
Lows: 40
Accuweather.com:
Sunny and clear, some wind
Highs: 85-90
Lows: 40-45

Also, the central valley will be about 100. Much better than the 112 on the way up to Rubicon.

Brother_of_Jefe said:
Actually it was ready yesterday afternoon . . .and nobody called me till just now. :rolleyes:
However, it WAS covered under warranty. :thumbsup:

Jefe said:
Actually it was ready yesterday afternoon . . .and nobody called me till just now. :rolleyes:
However, it WAS covered under warranty. :thumbsup:
So are you driving or riding shotgun in a J&*p?
and..is it decided we are camping in the same spot as last year? I think that is the only way we can pull this off because its real easy to find. For a point of reference, its about one mile past the NFS fire station on Dinkey Creek Rd. I will pickup a fire permit as I pass by.
I should be there Thursday mid-afternoon

RockRanger said:
Brian as you are heading up the 168 to shaver, you go past the ranger station in Prather you could get a map there. Prather is that small town about 2 miles before you get the the 4 lane that takes you up the hill. Itis where the longs drug store and fosters freeze is. If you guys get your self really stuck up there and need help with extraction or finding parts give me a call on my cell phone and Ill try to track down a few of the wheelers I know in fresno.
I might stop by for a map, since this could turn into a yearly trip.
I have you cell phone RR, thanks for the assistance.

Well, I ordered a clutch cable today - it's supposed to be in on Friday.

Let's see what happens.

How well does cell service work up there?

tdavis said:
How well does cell service work up there?
Verizon sucked at Shaver Lake last year, this year it was perfect everywhere around the lake.

Current plan is to leave early Fri morning at 6AM.

Brother_of_Jefe said:
Verizon sucked at Shaver Lake last year, this year it was perfect everywhere around the lake.

Current plan is to leave early Fri morning at 6AM.
Oh, did you already go up there this year with your boys? If so, did you see any easy to find camping spots that were not right on the side of the road?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BKennedy said:
Oh, did you already go up there this year with your boys? If so, did you see any easy to find camping spots that were not right on the side of the road?
My two boys and I were at the Scout Camp on Dinky Creek Rd during the last week in June. I did a little "scouting" around, but didn't have the map book so I wasn't sure what I was looking for. (Of course, I could have stopped and asked one of the 200 J**pers I saw driving around)

Back