Photos - Moab 2006 Photos | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Photos Moab 2006 Photos

Heck, if next years run is in June I just might stay all month.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Johns thinking than k god I got a Jeep and not a BII, hahaha The Jeeps tub has a MUCH lower COG and a better suspension for those things.....

Spas said:
Boy I'm sorry I got there too late to see this obstacle. I bet there was plenty of grinding and banging noises on it..! If I can make it next year I'm defintiely coming out earlier!
Boyle1.jpg
Turn up your speakers... :)

http://www.explorerforum.com/files/1600/BoyleDrop.AVI

AspenX said:
You definitely weren't goin over. ;)
Most Definitly not. It didn't even feel iffy. Next year I'll just go down without a strap, and then we can try going back up it. ;) :eek: :D

Spas said:
Boy I'm sorry I got there too late to see this obstacle. I bet there was plenty of grinding and banging noises on it..! If I can make it next year I'm defintiely coming out earlier!
Actually, we were running Behind the Rocks while you were stuck with CG on Golden Spike, waiting for us to get finished with our trail and come rescue you.

410Fortune said:
now a BII in that spot, might be going over, I would DEF need a strap, the BII's rear likes to unload on these down hill ledges...they are my most feared obsticle, can you say pucker factor?

I'll second that!

Jefe said:
Actually, we were running Behind the Rocks while you were stuck with CG on Golden Spike, waiting for us to get finished with our trail and come rescue you.

D'oh, I guess I can't be in two places at once, can I? :rolleyes: That's the cruddy part about wheeling with so many people... you miss the crazy stunts that others are pulling :p

Froader, much like fingernails on a chalk board, that made my teeth hurt!!

Now this would be scary on White Knuckle Hill. I wish I had a picture of his going over. This is our friend in his Sami.
That's what you call having your Sami on a leash!!

kendall_on_white_knuckle_hill_part_3.jpg

I think Mike slid 3 or 4 feet with all 4 tires off the ground. He didn't want the strap.

So, here's the deal with driving White Knuckle in an Explorer..

Yes, it can be done, and I believe it's really easy. You just have to do the right things. I wasn't going to let anyone try it (except maybe for Jefe if he really insisted..) because most of you don't have the safety equipment to deal with a oops (a roll cage) from it going wrong.

Next time I see it with the zuk, I plan to drive it with no strap or winch line. It's really quite easy in my mind; you come to the edge, as the front wheels drop straighten them out, and let off the brake and gas. When the front wheels touches down, you give it a touch of gas... and you should be fine.

I wanna be there for that one :D

I did look at all of the White Knuckle pics from 2004 and it does appear that a 4dr Explorer should have no problem doing it at all. But I clearly remember watching the 2drs and Jeep and Zuk all lift their rear tires going over and only being held back by the winch holding their rear bumper back. Tom your theory may work for a short wheelbase vehicle but it would take a lot of kahunas to keep your speed and movement once those front tires went over - you'd absolutely HAVE to keep moving or you'd flip over for sure.

So you're telling me I will take the strap if I do White Knuckle hill? (even with a cage) hahaha Last time in Truckhaven on a steep downhill I remember hearing for 5 minutes, "don't lock up the brakes, don't lock up the brakes" so I am thinking, okay, don't lock up the brakes....as soon as the BII gets steep, I locked up all 4!

BII = this is it's weak spot, drop offs.

410Fortune said:
So you're telling me I will take the strap if I do White Knuckle hill? (even with a cage) hahaha Last time in Truckhaven on a steep downhill I remember hearing for 5 minutes, "don't lock up the brakes, don't lock up the brakes" so I am thinking, okay, don't lock up the brakes....as soon as the BII gets steep, I locked up all 4!

Short wheel base vehicles are always fun on drop offs.

I blew the clutch on the zuk, because I realized on the vertical drop off at Truckhaven, I had the gears set all wrong. Pushed the clutch, whirrr, bang, sound of shattering glass and the clutch disk had over-rev'd and blown off the material on one side.

410Fortune said:

Yep take the strap, or grow the kahunas to try Tom's method and stay on the gas while airborne over a dropoff. LOL :D And oh yeah, don't lock up the brakes!

This could be fun. Maybe Tom could be trailboss for a shortwheelbase-only Behind the Rocks run next year while I'll open a beerstand at White Knuckle Hill complete with lawn chairs and a disc jockey.

I am hoping to extend my wheelbase a bit by then AND have a full cage :)

Did any body ever post the vid of Marshal on Hummer Hill? I finally got all of his seat covers out of my butt.

AspenX said:
Did any body ever post the vid of Marshal on Hummer Hill? I finally got all of his seat covers out of my butt.

Lmao- and here I thought I was the only one who left pinch marks after riding with him :D

I have a few really good videos, but Ben's really slacking about posting them up for me :p

Where Is All The Mud!!!!

Mudd? there are only a few spots in Moab with water typically.....not alot of mud thank god:)

i hate mud...every hour in it, means another 2 hours cleaning it off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spas said:
Lmao- and here I thought I was the only one who left pinch marks after riding with him :D

I have a few really good videos, but Ben's really slacking about posting them up for me :p

Bah there is only 30 videos which equals 600 MB(s). I need to find all of them and upload them

Back