Photos - Moab 2006 Photos | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Photos Moab 2006 Photos

yeah and have Camburg build you a few tricks into your IFS :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i saw the hiem joints fir the tie rods..pretty sick though. Im still goin SAS though. Seein these pics of SAS'd trucks is sick and section525's truck doesnt help either lol. Man i want badlands to come sooner.

it all depends on the type of wheeling and driving you do :) long travel A arm suspensions for 4x4's are EXPENSIVE but man they ride PLUSH.
Solid axles can handle excellent on the street and are awesome for trails/wheeling, so its just a matter of where you are going and why.

FROADER said:
Great shots Brian.

Chris is the winner for the most front IFS flex I've ever seen. :D

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/bdkennedy/?action=view&current=May06Vacation1772.jpg

I dunno, I had a lot just before I cut it all off. But I think CG has put more money into it so I'll let him win. ;)

SANY0147.jpg

[QUOTE='97 V8]Daaang. Does that happen when you unbolt the sway bar?[/QUOTE]
Yes, and no.
From my messing around:
Stock: 3-4" travel
Swaybar disconnected: 6-7"
1/2" longer shocks, bump stop shortened: 8.5"
(basically upper balljoint maxed both ways)

I beleive CG is running some of the Dixon racing long travel stuff (steering, CV joints, shocks, etc) so hey may have more than 9" travel.

Jefe said:
Yes, and no.
From my messing around:
Stock: 3-4" travel
Swaybar disconnected: 6-7"
1/2" longer shocks, bump stop shortened: 8.5"
(basically upper balljoint maxed both ways)

I beleive CG is running some of the Dixon racing long travel stuff (steering, CV joints, shocks, etc) so hey may have more than 9" travel.

That's about right. The only way to get any more real travel out of these IFS front's is to go with a longer A-Arm set up like the Dixon Brothers long travel kit ($$$ :eek: )

I still have the stock arms with the longer shocks & smaller bump stop that Jefe talked about. So it's close to 9" with the sway bar disconnected, which is not bad for me - not great, but about the same as a stock Toyota FJ-80 Land Cruiser which has a solid axle up front.

My front end is set up to be great at nothing and good at everything, cause I drive a lot of miles in Baja on the washboard roads & sand but only occasionally go rock climbing or play in the mud.

The first 2 pic's show about as much flex as you're going to get from a stock A-Arm IFS front.

The next pic shows all the mods I have: (top to bottom)
1. Custom shock hoops.
2. Fox 10" travel, 2.0 reservoir shocks.
3. Moog upper A-Arm & ball joint.
4. Dixon Brothers 6 ball inner CV joint axle, stock outer CV (broke inner stub axle, now running stock axles & CV's)
5. Dixon Brothers Clevis Steering system w/heavy duty inner tie rods (stock Chevy 1/2 ton outer TRE's & we all know about those :rolleyes: )
6. Short poly bump stop.

The last pic shows how the long shocks mount through the lower a-arm.

I've just tried to make the front end as good as it can be and strengthen stuff as much as possible. & yeah, all this crap is a touch of $$$!

Attachments

• m13.jpg
    m13.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 282
  • m15.jpg
    m15.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 288
  • front-end.jpg
    front-end.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 286
  • front-shock-mount.jpg
    front-shock-mount.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 290

Are these the shots you took when you were stopped on that ridge for awhile right before the tie rod snapped? ;) :p :rolleyes:

BKennedy said:
Are these the shots you took when you were stopped on that ridge for awhile right before the tie rod snapped? ;) :p :rolleyes:

LMAO... *gasp* what are you insinuating?! :D :rolleyes:

i see. so it was you who broke the tie rod?

BKennedy said:

Nope, wasn't me :D It was Jefe that broke the TRE here is a picture of him fixing it to prove it!

Jefe has the old fashioned solid axle set up on the front of his truck, where as I have the much more modern and incredible IFS on my truck :p . We all know that it's impossible to break ANYTHING on the superior IFS rigs :D

Now SHUT UP about the damn TRE you EVIL *******S :fire: :D

Attachments

• jefe 2.JPG
    jefe 2.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 271

FROADER said:
Chris, I bow down to your paint skills.
notworthy.gif

:p

LOL. I never heard of Spray Paint Shop for Windows :p

Jefe said:
yay, someone got a pic of me on White Knuckle. There were a lot of you on that strap. :eek:

JefeStrap.jpg
That is because we wanted to take good care of our leader!!!

Jefe said:
yay, someone got a pic of me on White Knuckle. There were a lot of you on that strap. :eek:

JefeStrap.jpg
You definitely weren't goin over. ;)

now a BII in that spot, might be going over, I would DEF need a strap, the BII's rear likes to unload on these down hill ledges...they are my most feared obsticle, can you say pucker factor?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You wanna talk about short wheelbases and pucker factors... I wonder what was going through John's head right here :eek:
JohnDrop.jpg

Boy I'm sorry I got there too late to see this obstacle. I bet there was plenty of grinding and banging noises on it..! If I can make it next year I'm defintiely coming out earlier!
Boyle1.JPG

Back