Ranger SASed 500 miles later Looking for some help | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger SASed 500 miles later Looking for some help

1991 ranger sas 44/9inch
well I have put 500 miles on my ranger after doing the swap.
not much offroad use yet.
1 problem is that Im not getting as much flex as i would like in the front
Im not getting enough drop in the rear. maybe longer springs???

I have stock radius arms I was thinking of wristing 1 arm

any help would be great thanks

100_1978.jpg

100_1971.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anybody have a wristed ra arm for sale??

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Those look like Cage coils, if so they should be pretty flexy. I think you would see the biggest improvement from either extending your radius arms or wristing the passenger side arm. If you can do a SAS you can make a wristed arm in an afternoon. I noticed a tremendous improvement when I changed from standard length arms to extended arms. If you really think you want to switch coils I would suggest Wild Horses or BCBroncos. I personally run BCBronco 6.5 coils.

Second, I would switch your rear leaf springs to a pair of Chevy 63". You can find these springs in 80's & 90's Chevy 1500 trucks. The flex great and can be had cheaply. That combined with a pair of Belltech 6400 shackles should give you what you're looking for as far as flex.

I ran into some problems today
installed new 7 degree c bushings and after putting everything back together
passenger side of truck sags... any ideas

Maybe you put one of the bushing in backward or upside down? I don't remember if that is even possible though... :dunno:

Here is my wristed arm. It definitely helps the flex. I also just leave the pin out all the time.

RadiusArm1.jpg

RadiusArm.jpg

WristedArm_1.jpg

You can see the difference in these pics. Look at the front and rear tires. In the first pic the rear tire is more tucked because the front isn't flexing as much. In the second pic, the front is flexing more so the rear isn't working as hard. This isn't maxed out yet either.

This one is with the pin in:
WristArmLocked.jpg

This is with it out:
WristArmUnlocked.jpg

This one was close to my max flex.

FROADER1.jpg

I remember when I first did my sas, I wasn't too impress with the flex, but after a couple of runs and stretching those legs, the suspensions got softer and flexed a whole lot more. I don't have wristed arms, but I bet they'll be better then stock. Extending them too, will help!!

If those are wildhorses/cage coils, they look like they could use some stretching.

Oh, and heim-ing them too will add some mad flex.

My radius arms are only extended about 5 inches, but they have also been recently heimed after my RA bushing chewed themselves up. The first two pics are with just the wristed arm and the second two are after the 5" extension and heims. The heims added about 1 to 2 inches of flex.

Attachments

• DSCF0612.jpg
    DSCF0612.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCF2868.jpg
    DSCF2868.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 248
  • DSC00307s.jpg
    DSC00307s.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC00308s.jpg
    DSC00308s.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 223

I was finally able to get on to Pirate. broncosaurus69 is the dude I got mine from.

Now this is from Dec. of 2005, but here is what he said in a PM.
broncosaurus69 said:
I do still make them from time to time and sell them on different forums or on ebay. Which style were you wanting? There is standard 66-77 bronco and then there is the 78-79 f-150/bronco style which has shock mounting points on the front caps. I'll send you some pictures shortly. Thanks, Gordon

nice pictures
thanks for all the info
I need to get a set of stock ra to build and mess around with

I was finally able to get on to Pirate. broncosaurus69 is the dude I got mine from.

Now this is from Dec. of 2005, but here is what he said in a PM.

what did he charge you??

I think it was $90. If I sent him a stock one back, he said he would have charged $55. The shipping didn't seem worth it, so I didn't.

If I had the tools and space at the time, I would have made my own. I can't complain about the performance improvements for $90 though.

$90, I paid almost twice that and it was a local guy that did it so there was no shipping. Wish I knew this bak then. Oh well.

WOW!! i paid some dollahz for my CAGE extended heim'd RA's.

My radius arms are only extended about 5 inches, but they have also been recently heimed after my RA bushing chewed themselves up. The first two pics are with just the wristed arm and the second two are after the 5" extension and heims. The heims added about 1 to 2 inches of flex.[/

what coils are those??

where did you guys mount coil buckets?? or stock buckets

and if you know what the length is of the coils
thanks

The coil buckets go wherever you want them to go to give you whatever lift you want. I have a pic of them, and I think they are at 18" with the weight of the truck on it. Let me find that pic.

5.5" lift coils for an early bronco. I am not sure on the length, but I measured 16.75 inches from the top of the coil bucket to the top of the upper ball joint when I set the coil buckets.

well Iam looking for a stock set of radius arms
having a hard time finding a set
any ideas
also new winch should be hear tommorrow 9.5ti

Back