Return of the "newbie run" Truck Haven | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return of the "newbie run" Truck Haven

Daaang. that blows....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...i hope your mirror munch works out ok...looks like you almost had a window to replace...:eek:

Haha, just for the record, in that pic of my dad and me, we were trying to block the light from the huge campfire so we could see the stars...we dont get many opportunities in southern california to actually see stars very often anymore.

...a few people were asking for info on the salton sea...hanzo steel sent me this on another board...enjoy...;)

http://www.saltonsea.ca.gov/ss101.htm
http://www.plaguesandpleasures.com/

“Accidentally” created by an engineering error in 1905, reworked in the 50’s as a world class vacation destination for the rich and famous, suddenly abandoned after a series of hurricanes, floods, and fish die-offs, and finally almost saved by Congressman Sonny Bono, the Salton Sea has a bittersweet past.

Izzie.. As for those ridge lines, you don't panic until you start to slide off one, and then you remember Brian's famous words.

"I can get a medivac chopper here in about 15 minutes.."

Of course, he also got in a pickle once.. doing the dangling a Navajo by a winch line attached to an Explorer on a ridge was, well, let's just say "interesting".

You do those ridges enough, eventually you just get used to it.. a little.

Now, if I had showed up.. :D Let the carnage begin! :D

...izwack did get to see what happens to a landcruiser when you drop a tire off a ridge on friday afternoon though...:D

...izwack did get to see what happens to a landcruiser when you drop a tire off a ridge on friday afternoon though...:D

I saw those guys on the highway heading home. It was getting flat towed and the roof was popped off like it was a piece of tupperware.

I did'nt have a problem with the ridges except it would have been nice if someone(AKA our trail leader) had said something prior to going up on them ;)

Luckily I paid attenion to the line everybody was taking to the top the first time and knew something was up and followed accordingly:)

No Problems:thumbsup:

Haha yeah I guess that rolled FJ40 made me realize in the very beginning that the danger was real so that didn't help at all on Saturday.

Now, if I had showed up.. :D Let the carnage begin! :D
I was actually looking forward to see your Zuk but I knew I wasnt going to when you said you couldnt make it. But maybe I will see it in maybe in 2 years or so if all goes according to plan.

Once my brother gets his Zuk out there on the west coast (which should be in the next 6 months or so), he'll probably join you guys.

IZ, you're not coming back for two years? That sucks. well, it will probably take that long to get my truck built, so it's probably actually good timing....

Aha. higher education is a good thing....

What's the full story on the FJ? I missed that.

Yeah anybody get pics?

The FJ (being followed by a blue Zuk) climbed an incline head on but the ridge was much much too narrow to drive on. I mean it would have been difficult for two people to walk side-by-side on it. Anyways, I think as the FJ crested the ridge and went over to the other side, instead of pointing the wheel straight down, he cut the wheel left and of course rolled it.

Here's a pic but its blury cauz it was pretty dark at the time and we were on the shadow side of the ridge.

Attachments

• fj40_rolled.jpg
    fj40_rolled.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 379

Just after my "recovery" we hear someone yell, "WE NEED HELP." So we get over there and there is the fj40 on it's side. Apparantley, he came up one side and didn't make the turn to stay on the ridge and rolled down the other side. It looked like he tipped over and slid down the hill because there was really only damage on the pass. side. There seemed to be a little liquid courage involved as well.

They were very careless about rolling it back over as they used one truck going downhill. I offered to strap from the top to be safe, but the owner of the fj was so over it and he said, "just go" to his buddy who was strapped to it. So, as it rolled back to it's wheels, it almost kept rolling over and was in neutral, so it almost rolled down the hill where everyone that was trying to help was.

Alcohol, and carelessness almost made it a lot worse.

another .. after it had been turned over on its tires.

Attachments

• fj40_rolled2.jpg
    fj40_rolled2.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 392

wow. what an idiot. That was a sweet truck too....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back