Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS | Page 53 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since I have the axle in-hand finally... I guess I can start my thread.

I bought this axle about a month ago from a guy in OR and finally made it around to picking it up yesterday. I watched as he actually took the axle out from under the truck. It's pretty clean.

1983 Jeep Wagoneer LP D44

The plans:
Rubicon Express leaf springs (unless someone suggests otherwise)
4.88s
Detroit

Then SOA the rear, add a locker, and 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 adapters (I heard they make them). So far I am thinking about going 35/36s BFGs or IROKs.

So.... any suggestions?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7,014
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 7,060
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 7,001

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Macho man :rolleyes: that things so badass, it looks bigger in person though.....I still have your tools dog :D PM me an addy and i'll send them to ya

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Is it just me or is there suppose to be an explorer in that picture?

D44 High Steer arm nuts

I need some new ones. Are these anything special? Or can I just go to my local fastener shop?

I dont think they are anything special -- just 9/16 fine thread (slightly more difficult to find).

EDIT -- I once killed one of the studs (thread died), so here's a good source just in case: http://www.partsmike.com/ -- he's only 90 miles towards Sacramento from you. Break out ye ol diesel powered VW and motor my friend, motor! :)

Nice combined threads no combined threads...
happy_azn_smile.gif

Its one thing after another with this project.

Rotating the perches really messed everything up. I have a great caster angle now, and a better pinion angle... but no steering.

So after rotating the spring perches, that pushed my tie rod right into the leaves. Great.

So after some research I discovered that my high steer arms were for SUA or coil/coil over setups. Not for SOA leaves. Great.

So I bought the correct high steer arms from Sky Manufacturing. Now, the arm studs are not long enough to get the bolts on completely. And my old TRE is permantly fused to the old steering arm. Siiiigh. I have more $ into this front end then coilovers and links would have cost. :(

Anybody want to buy an Explorer?

Attachments

• hi3.jpg
    hi3.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 630
  • hi2.jpg
    hi2.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 651
  • hi1.jpg
    hi1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 629

Can I back the steering arm studs out of the knuckle a bit? Or would that be bad newz?

what are you gonna do? Run washers under it?:confused:

How much thread is in? The more you back them out the greater chance of breakage there:(

Washers under what?

I have all kinds of thread coming below the knuckle. Plus, I'm not seeing varying lengths of studs. :confused: So, I think that may be my only option...

I could call Sky on Monday and see what they say.

I have all kinds of thread coming below the knuckle. Plus, I'm not seeing varying lengths of studs. :confused: So, I think that may be my only option...
There are different length studs -- I was running two lengths cauz whoever I ordered the replacement studs from (after I damaged the thread on one) sent me a longer set.

Remove one of the studs you have and measure against this longer set (4" studs) from PartsMikeParts:
http://www.partsmike.com/store/store.php?crn=219&rn=1373&action=show_detail

IZ you so awesome. :hugs:

Hopefully this is my last front-end shenanigan for a while.

...I need help with my front end...:p:

...The only bling I think you are missing on yours is, you need to have JTSmith do some powder coating for you...;)

...The only bling I think you are missing on yours is, you need to have JTSmith do some powder coating for you...;)

Good idea. I'll have to send him my hydro assist clamp. Maybe that'll get me back on track with that project too. :p:

...Now you are just showing off...:p:..lol

Studs came in. These things are both bling and enormous. Better too long than too short I guess. :p:

Attachments

• studs1.jpg
    studs1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 553
  • studs2.jpg
    studs2.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 538
  • studs3.jpg
    studs3.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 559

better!!

Who'd you get em from? PMP, Sky? Just so I know who else sells em..

They're the Parts Mike you linked. Fast too. I ordered them on Tuesday night and they were here Thursday. Nice work, IZ.

They're only an hour south east from you. "Nice work, Section"

Are high steer arms an absolute pain in the ass to remove every time? It seems those cones get in there up against the threads, and even with the nuts removed, you still have to beat the shiz out of the arms with a rubber mallet. Hopefully my new hardware is a little more forgiving.

Goals for the day:

Both arms on and secure. Ream driver's side arm. Drag and tie rods installed. ARB compressor mounted and working. Re-fill front diff. Test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back