Completed Project - Stic-o's 2nd gen. radius arm/coil SAS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Stic-o's 2nd gen. radius arm/coil SAS

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Well it's Finaly Time to Start this thread.

Intro
In April of 2006 I will be doing a Solid Axle Swap on my '99 Explorer XL. Through the entire prosess I will be takink pics and updateing when there is is new info. I've pretty much always known I was going to do a SAS in my truck all along. For this reason, I have never but a dime into my front axle. I just never saw the point if I was going to rip it out.

The Plan

I plan to run a High Pinion Dana 44 full width in the front. I will be using Early Bronco Coils, posiablly 5.5" lift coils. I am still unsure of what I will be using for Radius arms, as we are still in the works. I would like to do a 3 link in the front but I don't think it's possiable with the cast wedges. I will be running 5.13 gears and plan to use anywhere from a 35" tire to a 37" tire, depending what I find. In the rear, I will be going to a 86-96 full width 8.8 off a Bronco/F-150. This will give me the ability to keep my speedometer, as well as reuseing my current locker, BTF Cover, and Disc Brakes. This will also give me a 5x5.5 pattern, and width almost dead on with the front. I would also like to move the rear leaf springs to the outside of the frame with the FW 8.8 to get rid of the spring hangers under the back doors that we all get caught on.

There alot of things still unsure, and I will figure it out as I go. Unfortally only small things will be done, until late March. Lack of funds will keep me from doing much until then. The axle will be set to go in the truck in April sometime though. Now let get to the goods. Pictures :D

The Meat
12287D44.jpg

A side dish of parts

12287SAS_Parts.jpg

I can't wait for dessert :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Come on April 2006. keep us posted on your ideas and thoughts. Those little things that you can do before April all go along with the territory. My big fund month is Aug 2006 seems it will never get here. Good Luck

Very cool. I'm anxious to see the build up. That 44 looks like it's in pretty good shape too.

I like your idea of moving the rear hangers out from under the frame, that's the difference in the explorer and rangers.

Looks like the axle is in good shape. Much better than mine which is needing to be totally stripped and repainted/rebuilt. Same with my 9".

Looks like your ra's are already extended and setup for heims...very cool. Look forward to the build up, i should be doing mine around the same time :D

FROADER said:
Sweet Stic-o. So is this going to be an off-road only vehicle after the swaps then?

Well offically the truck is still not even paid off :rolleyes: so after the swap she may see the street for another year after the swap, but the plan is to get her off the street. I need to find some Eddie Bauer flares though. That should cover most of the tires...I hope :( I also plan to move the Gas tank this year. My plan is to take a S-15 Jimmy/S-10 Blazer tank and put it behind the axle. We'll see if I can get it to work :rolleyes:

Thanks everone I can't wait till April too :bounce:

Why not get a 10-20 gallon fuel cell and mount it in the cargo area? Jegs sells everything you'd need to set it up, and relatively decent price. I'm probably going to do that with mine eventually. Just an idea, i'm sure that it would be alittle work getting the gauge and everything to work but i bet you could do it without too much trouble.

I like the idea of moving the leaf springs out side of the frame. Seems like it would help out a lot w/ clearance. I was considering that for a while, but now I'm considering a different setup for mine. ;)

CodePoet said:
Why not get a 10-20 gallon fuel cell and mount it in the cargo area? Jegs sells everything you'd need to set it up, and relatively decent price. I'm probably going to do that with mine eventually. Just an idea, i'm sure that it would be alittle work getting the gauge and everything to work but i bet you could do it without too much trouble.

Fuel Cell's are not legal in california :(

ahhh ok...too bad. I'm not worried bout "laws" in my build lol...i'm building a trailor queen though :D

JoshC said:
Very cool. I'm anxious to see the build up. That 44 looks like it's in pretty good shape too.

I like your idea of moving the rear hangers out from under the frame, that's the difference in the explorer and rangers.

Gotta love the So Cal desert as far as rust is concerned :cool: That axle was kept on the side of my house for about a year and except for the occasional sand storm, it stayed in good condition.
Steve, I forgot to tell you I threw out the RA mounts I made...they were useless anyways. I do have the original mounts that came with the arms but those are useless to you as well. So your off to a good start now :thumbsup:

DB_1 said:
Gotta love the So Cal desert as far as rust is concerned :cool: That axle was kept on the side of my house for about a year and except for the occasional sand storm, it stayed in good condition.
Steve, I forgot to tell you I threw out the RA mounts I made...they were useless anyways. I do have the original mounts that came with the arms but those are useless to you as well. So your off to a good start now :thumbsup:

It's alright I'd just build new ones anyway :rolleyes: I'm still not sure if I'm going to uese the arms or not yet. I still have to repair your hack job to use them :p I was thinking on sleaving where you cut after I weld it up. Then for maybe modifying the spring retairs I have to work with the arms. Not sure yet. I gotta start making a detailed parts list. :rolleyes: Not sure if I will use those axle shaft's maybe keep them for spares, and just get new ones.

The original threaded rod is underneath the sleeve job I did so if you can get the sleeves off as I started to do then you can run the original brackets.

Check with CAGE, maybe they will sell just the radius mounts setup for their heims. Just a thought. I decided to start my swap this weekend,being the trans is now dead, lucky I have a fresh C4 sitting with the axle. Might want to look at a BII tank swap. I know this is the cheap route when 3-linking a ranger rear.

Signing up.

so are u dead set on using 4.88's? did u buy them already?

hiridin said:
so are u dead set on using 4.88's? did u buy them already?

no I did buy yet....Why? :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most guys I know with 5.13 cant do over 60 MPH in 2wd without rapping out their OHV 4.0L, or so I have been told. To me this would get old REAL quick.

Am I off base here?

Back