The Black Hole | Page 191 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 3327 has been selected as best answered.

Whats In A Name?

It was hot humid august night. The winds have all but vanished. I was doing my best to keep the sweat out of my eyes. The A/C was dying in my 94 Explorer, lovingly named "Pugly", and there was no relief in sight. I decided it was time to stop throwing good money into bad. I was gonna do the unthinkable,.......I was going to commit the most heinous crime of them all! I was going to trade Pugly in for a newer model! Oh the heart break! The insanity of it all! I couldn't believe the thoughts were even going through my head.

I managed to get the old girl back home, to her resting place. She seemed at ease in her familiar surroundings. I had to come up with an explanation to let her know of my evil plan. So i just gave her that old wink and grin that she likes to see from me as we made it back home from another day of adventure in the treacherous Midwestern terrain. I did my best in hiding my cynical thoughts, as I walked around to her rear flank and gave her that little pat on her bumper, as I always have when we part for the night.

The next morning I gave her a real good bath, cleaned behind her mirrors, and brushed her grill. She still looked pretty good for her age. Oh sure she had the tell tale signs, gravity has got its firm grip on her, and I am not the best cosmetics guy in the world. she didn't seem to mind too much, she still kept her nose up and drove with pride.

After looking at many vehicles I just could not find anything that had the same feel as my old girl. Then it happened! Was I seeing a mirage? Was I so desperate to find another rig that I was blinded by insanity? I found my replacement! I quickly made a sale with the owner, and brought it home.

When I pulled in the driveway, my heart sunk as I looked into the yard to see my 94 looking at me in disbelief. She was sunning herself in the grass looking all shiny and then, she just looked away from me. My heart was tearing in two. I parked the new rig, and walked up to her and gave her a soft spoken "Hello". No reply. I tried to tickle her mirrors, no response. The tension was so great, you could have cut it with a 32 count fine tooth hacksaw. I had to explain to her that she gave me great satisfaction for many years, and we made a terrific team together, but the time has come for her to just relax and enjoy her final days. She finally revved up, and understood, her days as my work horse has ended (so we thought).

I introduced her to her daily driver replacement. The shiny new(er) next generation of her kind. The 95 Explorer XLT. She warmed right up to it. Before you know it they were swapping stories. Now I had to ask her for help. I needed a name for the new ride,
so I went to find her, and what did I see? Those two were grill to grill in the driveway. rubbing chrome! I had to get the water hose out and break them up! Sheesh, she was acting like a girl at the prom dance! I let the name thing drop for awhile.

The new(er) Ex needed to get its shots, and a physical. When I got the word on it's health, I about had a coronary. "What do you mean Doc"! I yelled. "Your kidding right"? I asked. The Doc just shook his head and gathered his tools. As he walked away, He said it had a 50/50 chance of survival. My stomach knotted up, my teeth ground, my heart raced, and I could feel the energy build up as I let it all out, "Why! Why! Why did this have to happen"! I screamed.

The prognostic exam from the doc was as such. It had a blown steering rack, the shocks were gone, the brakes were non existent, front sway bar was cracked in half, the 3rd brake light was out, none of the windows or the moon roof would work, the door locks were broke, the rear end LS clutch pack was burned up, the tires were all in need of replacement, the spare was a Firestone recall and flat, the engine had a nasty tick to it, the TPS was shot, the MAF was corroded, the battery had a dead cell in it, the hood shocks were not working, the rear hatch lock was jammed up and you couldn't open it with out a key in the lock, The carpet was stained to no repair, the rear window wiper didn't want to work, and we could not tell what year its engine swap came from. it was a mess, to say the least.

I went in the house to get my gun. I was gonna just put it out of its misery right there and then. I suddenly realized I was out of ammo, from shooting at the jeep that was in my field. I went to the computer to find a place to buy some cheap ammo, and I stumbled across this website, explorerforum.com that said it could heal any ford Explorer no matter what the problems were! I jumped for joy, I could not believe the things I was reading! I wore out the search button, asked a bunch of questions. I quickly broke out my pen and paper, feverishly writing down things as I was learning! I had found a cure for everything that was wrong with my new transport. It was a Godsend, an angel from the SUV heavens!

I sprung into action. I worked day and night, Pugly was right by my side the entire time, helping me in any way she could. I never seen this side of her, and was really amazed at how well she handled the pressure. She gently squeegeed the sweat out off my fore head with her soft wiper blades as I worked away. After an entire weekend of work, I collapsed. I needed some rest, and so did the 95. The sun crested over the hills, and awoke me to a new day. I shuffled my feet to the window facing the driveway, peeled the drapes gently back, and peered out at the 95. WOW!
It had a its color back, and was looking great! Now as the time went on, (and most of my paychecks), and the selling of almost everything I own, for funds to get the 95 to its former glory.

After some time to reflect on this name thing, I strolled up and whispered into Pugly's passenger side mirror, and she giggled with delight.

I climbed up onto the front bumper in my pajamas and robe half opened, with a cup of coffee in one hand and the daily newspaper in the other, I raised my arms with out stretched hands and proclaimed the new name of the 95.

BEHOLD...........THE BLACK HOLE!!!!!!!! (Then the neighbor yelled at me to close my robe)

The End................(or is it just the beginning?)

Actually, only some of this really happened. :D

View attachment 324381

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rains stopped and temps hit 70* over the weekend. I found out I am not in good enough shape to mow my own hilly lawn with a push mower. Until I find a small rider or get back into shape, I made a call to have a service take care of it for me. That hits hard, as it represents a vast variety of things in life. Ugh....

Sunday I decided to get started on the headliner swap, as it is real bad now thanks to that moonroof leak. Figured it's easy enough to do. Wrong!

The big ole storage cabinet had to come out, and being alone, I had to strip it down to it's smallest components to be able to physically remove it.
Upon lowering it to the ground out the back of this lifted beast, my left calf decided it wanted to go into charlie horse mode, and make me play 8 second rodeo, with the heavy cabinet. then my left wrist said, yeah, I'm out too. The cab landed on a folded drop cloth I had laid down on the concrete, just in case. I was going to stop here, but carried on.

Grab handles, and visors removed, I soon realized that I didn't have a thin wall deep well 5.5m for the stupid clothes hanger trims. That was the death blow for the day, and the end of my weekends excitement. Pics after the old headliner is off, as I want to show the bare 2nd gens roofing underside in all it's glory, for future searches.

Stay tuned for the next episode of "Gman gets old, and shares it with the world".

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Headliner out. Wow, what a PITA that thing is. Only broke one connector tang a thang a ma bobber on the map light doo hicky.

95 headliner out backside.JPG

Checked all 4 drain tubes from the moon roof, and shot air threw them. None are clogged, all was hooked up still. Means the leak was from the seal. Ugh...

I did find the spots where I had sealed up with black silicone years ago from the roof rail tracks. I cleaned those up and sealed them better, with Gorrilla waterproof rubber patch tape. That stuff is amazing!
I found one bad stock rivnut on the roof rails. the bottom lip is pulled out the top, and trapped under the rail. I need to address this before the new headliner is installed. I am not removing the rack by myself, so....After looking at it and scratching my brain, (my wallet fell out) pondering how to go about this, I feel my only option is to cut it off from underneath, flush to the sheetmetal. Drill it out from above (thru the rail), then use a bolt/fender washer/locknut combo, with some RTV gooped up on the fender washer.

Fords weird ass enclosed Rivnut used to hold these rails down.

rear pass rivnut fail.JPG

That's a tough job to get the interior out enough to drop the headliner.

The sunroof leaks are very hard to track down, there are multiple possible places to leak. I have three 2nd gen's with the sunroof, and all of them leak. I sealed up the glass to rubber edge seal on all three, and the leaks were not stopped. I put RTV over the entire seam opening of my black 98, and that stopped the water coming in. The problem mine have is the leaks all come from the headliner getting wet, and dripping down onto the seat, steering wheel, etc.

Inspect your main sunroof assembly very carefully, they are made in pieces that are sealed together. They have seams where sections are overlapped and sealed together. I believe that is where the hard leaks are from, the bond of those seams has gotten hard and brittle, the sealant developing cracks in it along the seams. Then the water just drips down from those onto the headliner, and into the interior. Basically the drain pan is leaking through it's seams, not the drain outlets or hoses. I think to fix that means having full access to the sunroof from underneath, thus the headliner out.

I sealed up the glass to the body with that Gorilla sealant tape like 1.5 yrs ago. It stopped the leak. That leak was like turning on a hose. I had a huge tote on the drivers seat, and it filled almost to the top overnight when it had rained.

I had found a tree branch about the size of my thumb all broken up, and in the track when I first discovered the leak. All I can think of was I hit a low hanging branch when wheeling with it open, and it fell in there. I then closed it, and that branch got pinched bad enough to break that seal.

Then I had a wishful thought, that maybe the drains was just plugged up from that same branch pieces. Nope. Ha.. yeah right. I will probably just deal with it, and leave it sealed up and not use it anymore. I know, that's a slippery slope, and the beginning of the end, but other things are taking priority.

Ha my bii has been leaking inside for years…. Just keep patching the holes! It takes a lot of abuse to completely rust these suckers out.
I’m taking the bii out of commission next year… she will get parked and stored until I can do a body off resto
I just patched another big rust hole under my raingutter.. knock most of the rust off, treat w rust stopper (permatex rust treatment) then clean and filled the hole with flex seal rubber patch for large holes…. Stuff works awesome! That will slow it down for another year. I had a hole in my drivers floor almost large enough for my fist… I guess that’s why my drivers floor was always soaked under the carpet… patched that one w some tin/ rivets and goop…. Beginning of the end for sure but not the end of the line by any means

Ha my bii has been leaking inside for years…. Just keep patching the holes! It takes a lot of abuse to completely rust these suckers out.
I’m taking the bii out of commission next year… she will get parked and stored until I can do a body off resto
I just patched another big rust hole under my raingutter.. knock most of the rust off, treat w rust stopper (permatex rust treatment) then clean and filled the hole with flex seal rubber patch for large holes…. Stuff works awesome! That will slow it down for another year. I had a hole in my drivers floor almost large enough for my fist… I guess that’s why my drivers floor was always soaked under the carpet… patched that one w some tin/ rivets and goop…. Beginning of the end for sure but not the end of the line by any means
With how wet the carpet got a few times, I worried about the floor as well, but it seems fine so far. Doing a frame off resto is the ultimate passion giver, and time/$$ sucker upper. You really have to love that thing to be willing to torture yourself like that. LOL

OK, so I went after that bad Rivnut this afternoon, and the Philips head stripped almost instantly. I decided to just leave it, and add a new bolt next to it. All stainless hardware with silicone goop. This weekend I will start on the headliner install, and hopefully have other items done by Sunday Eve.

rivnut fix.JPG

29 days until Moab! 😱

Rained all weekend. Hello spring, how you doing? 🥸

Got the new headliner on, and the interior back together finally. I actually washed the panels both sides before putting them back in. Crazy how the off road dust collects over the years. I could almost pick out the earths timeline from the diff colored layers. 🦖

20230417_181151.JPG

While I was at it, I fixed that cargo hatch actuator. Only took a few years to bother with it. took all of 5 mins to get it on the right position and work the locks both directions. 🤦‍♂️

Instead of killing myself trying to get that big ole cargo box back in, I am going to make something else for the Moab trip. Something simple, and force me to pack lighter. Something nicer then bins strapped, but not as nice as that custom box. If it doesn't work, then bins and straps might be cool again. 😎

Instead of killing myself trying to get that big ole cargo box back in, I am going to make something else for the Moab trip. Something simple, and force me to pack lighter. Something nicer then bins strapped, but not as nice as that custom box. If it doesn't work, then bins and straps might be cool again. 😎
Voting on bins and straps, brother. . . . Just over three weeks and plenty of other "To-do's" before the big trip. Thinking you don't need the stress of building another box - - we all know you got skills. . . Just show up and wheel.

Voting on bins and straps, brother. . . . Just over three weeks and plenty of other "To-do's" before the big trip. Thinking you don't need the stress of building another box - - we all know you got skills. . . Just show up and wheel.
Too late. Parts ordered/bought, and most materials acquired. It's a simple build (nothing like the last builds,) but should be highly functional.

I ordered a Safe Jack starter kit this morning. Should be perfect for this rig and trail repairs.
The new Kinetic rope arrived, and came in a nice Camo bag. Threw a couple Synthetic shackles in it.
Ironman 4x4 out of Australia had a sale on fridge slides, so I nabbed one, and while there, I snatched a new battery box, to go with the new Renogy solar suitcase charger. I will use two Lifepo4 medical batteries for over 80Ah. Primitive camping in Moab, so this will provide all the power needed for the fridge and other glamping crap I can't live without.
Times almost out, and will take a couple days off work before we leave to pack up, and relieve that time crunch stress.

Wooo! Moab Baby! 🤘

Been a bit since I posted here, but for good reasons. Was busy with work, and life in general, while trying to get this rig ready for the forum meet in Moab.

I really haven't done much to this thing lately, and if you have been following this, you know my health isn't up to par. Everything I do takes 4-5 times as long and just as hard. Motivation at the bottom of the barrel doesn't help much either. But I digress.... This is an update post!

I managed to change out the extended CV's for a new set of Precision's. Cleaned the truck inside and out, and removed the rear cargo box for this trip.

I wanted the rear space to carry what I needed, but only to base camp. Once there, I wanted to remove everything, and only carry what I needed on the trails for minor repairs.

So my idea was born, and I went to work on it. I still wanted to use the smaller fridge so I could be Ice free. I needed to be able to carry tools, parts, and camp gear.

I found a fridge slide from Ironman 4x4, but it was like 1/2" too short inside the tray. I had to modify it. The green arrow shows the direction the lip needed to be bent. I took it apart, and put it in the vise. An 18" crescent wrench bent the lip horizontal, and allowed the fridge to fit.

1 fridge slide marked up.jpg

The blue arrow shows the release latch for the slide, and it had to be clear of the rear hatch door, so it was installed offset on the new base. What base you ask? I made one from 3/4" ply, and braced it underneath. The idea is from the flat roof platforms used, and everything gets secured to it. Same principle, diff materials.

To secure all the other belongings, I chose to use my packouts. I reused the bases from the other box, and bolted everything on with Tee Nuts.

2 fridge slide mod.JPG

3 packout bases on.JPG

I then decided to add a battery box and I had a couple of nice LifPo4 medical batteries handy, so I got the Ironman 4x4 box for them. Neat little box with 2 fans, 2 -12v outlets, 2 5v USB, a pair of 50amp Hot Anderson connectors, a led volt meter, and a bright LED light.

4 bases slide box on.JPG

Backside all braced up, and 2 coats of satin clear coat to seal it up.

5 backside braced.JPG

I decided to add a fridge box. I could use this to attach things too, and protect the fridge. Painted everything seen in satin black acrylic house paint.

6 sealed and painted.JPG

Putting it back together.......

7 putting back together.JPG

Installed and held in with HD straps the same as the other box in front, but used the already installed E-Track for the backside. Installed some hoops to use for straps to hold a mechanic tool box above the fridge, and added the packouts.

8 BH new storage setup for Utah.JPG

Backside behind the rear seats.

9 backside installed.JPG

Fridge out

10 installed and fridge out.JPG

So it worked well. I only left in 2 of the packouts for the trails, and kept the others at camp. I can't use the rear view mirror as is, because of the spare tire, so the view block wasn't an issue as I am used to using the side mirrors to navigate with............. well, not for a few more days at least. Stay tuned... More on that to come.

😱

Been a bit since I posted here, but for good reasons. Was busy with work, and life in general, while trying to get this rig ready for the forum meet in Moab.

I really haven't done much to this thing lately, and if you have been following this, you know my health isn't up to par. Everything I do takes 4-5 times as long and just as hard. Motivation at the bottom of the barrel doesn't help much either. But I digress.... This is an update post!

I managed to change out the extended CV's for a new set of Precision's. Cleaned the truck inside and out, and removed the rear cargo box for this trip.

I wanted the rear space to carry what I needed, but only to base camp. Once there, I wanted to remove everything, and only carry what I needed on the trails for minor repairs.

So my idea was born, and I went to work on it. I still wanted to use the smaller fridge so I could be Ice free. I needed to be able to carry tools, parts, and camp gear.

I found a fridge slide from Ironman 4x4, but it was like 1/2" too short inside the tray. I had to modify it. The green arrow shows the direction the lip needed to be bent. I took it apart, and put it in the vise. An 18" crescent wrench bent the lip horizontal, and allowed the fridge to fit.

View attachment 442065

The blue arrow shows the release latch for the slide, and it had to be clear of the rear hatch door, so it was installed offset on the new base. What base you ask? I made one from 3/4" ply, and braced it underneath. The idea is from the flat roof platforms used, and everything gets secured to it. Same principle, diff materials.

To secure all the other belongings, I chose to use my packouts. I reused the bases from the other box, and bolted everything on with Tee Nuts.

View attachment 442066
View attachment 442067

I then decided to add a battery box and I had a couple of nice LifPo4 medical batteries handy, so I got the Ironman 4x4 box for them. Neat little box with 2 fans, 2 -12v outlets, 2 5v USB, a led volt meter, and a bright LED light.

View attachment 442069

Backside all braced up, and 2 coats of satin clear coat to seal it up.

View attachment 442070

I decided to add a fridge box. I could use this to attach things too, and protect the fridge. Painted everything seen in satin black acrylic house paint.

View attachment 442071

Putting it back together.......

View attachment 442072

Installed and held in with HD straps the same as the other box in front, but used the already installed E-Track for the backside. Installed some hoops to use for straps to hold a mechanic tool box above the fridge, and added the packouts.

View attachment 442073

Backside behind the rear seats.

View attachment 442074

Fridge out

View attachment 442075

So it worked well. I only left in 2 of the packouts for the trails, and kept the others at camp. I can't use the rear view mirror as is, because of the spare tire, so the view block wasn't an issue as I am used to using the side mirrors to navigate with............. well, not for a few more days at least. Stay tuned... More on that to come.

😱
Very neat and practical! The swinging bar you have your spare mounted to - looks Exactly like what I'd need, to put a bike rack on and maybe a fold down shelf like you have. If you bought in can you tell me where? Fixing to do some camping this summer in my 98 XLT, as my landlord is going to tear up the floors for repair, maybe for 2 wks. to a month. Did you ever put in an inside release for your back hatch to open it from inside? BTW - Mad respect for your Moab hill climb. Nerves of steel for sure. How much of your gear was still in the truck?

Very neat and practical! The swinging bar you have your spare mounted to - looks Exactly like what I'd need, to put a bike rack on and maybe a fold down shelf like you have. If you bought in can you tell me where? Fixing to do some camping this summer in my 98 XLT, as my landlord is going to tear up the floors for repair, maybe for 2 wks. to a month. Did you ever put in an inside release for your back hatch to open it from inside? BTW - Mad respect for your Moab hill climb. Nerves of steel for sure. How much of your gear was still in the truck?
Thank you. It was just for the Moab trip, and will be used again someday if I get to feeling better.

The spare tire swingout is custom built. Details are in this thread.

There is only the unlock button for the rear hatch.

I had about half the amount of gear I brought with, while on the trails, and only had a spare rear driveshaft & traction mats, up top inside the basket.

We recently got some of those pack out mounts for our work trailer, and it got me to thinking of doing the same thing! Just hate how expensive the Milwaukee pack out platform is....

We recently got some of those pack out mounts for our work trailer, and it got me to thinking of doing the same thing! Just hate how expensive the Milwaukee pack out platform is....
I hear you. They are pricey, but they are also watertight, strong, and modular. I have about 10 diff packouts now, as they are just handy for many uses.

Had a little mishap in Moab. Went up a V notch without a spotter, and paid the price. Pass tires was too high on the right side. Wasn't bad, just a soft Flop on the Dr side.

The entire Dr side is damaged. Fender, both doors, and 1/4 panel, plus the rear cargo side glass shattered. The Mirror was demolished. The awning cover is shredded a bit. I had a pc made at a glass shop in town, and 1/2 roll of black Gorilla Duct tape later, I had a half ass mirror to make it home with. Another half a roll and a cardboard backer, was used to make a crash wrap window in the back. Both bumper kickouts was scraped up, but they did their job well. Headlight is scratched too.

Ok, so now I need to get that rear glass replaced ASAP. once that's done, I can work on the rest. I found a couple black 2nd gens at a local Pick N Pull, and am heading there tomorrow to inspect and hopefully get a rear door, and rear glass. I think I can try to repair the dr door, fender, and maybe the 1/4 panel.

I have never replaced the cargo glass yet. I have no idea what to expect when removing one either. I know there is 4 nuts to remove off the glass studs, but is there a gasket seal to deal with, or is that part of the glass itself? No Idea.

BH 1.JPG

BH 2.JPG

BH 3.JPG

BH 4.JPG

BH 5.JPG
BH 6.JPG

Crazy thing is the rear door glass is scratched from the rocks as it slid against them. it didn't break.

It was a fun 1100+ miles back home. We spent about 4 hours in the Emergency room on the 1st day back. Kurts son cut his hand, and needed stitches. I woke up sick on day 2. We got home on the evening of Day 3. For this trip, the rig Avg 12.5 MPG on 91 octane. I had a 91 Tune at the ready, but was afraid to use it thinking I might have an issue finding 91 in Colorado. I was right, and twice we couldn't get 91. I kept the 87 tune for the entire trip. Ah well...is what it is.

On the way to Moab, we almost made it out of the Kansas Triangle..........Almost.

A pothole so large on I-70 was so big, I looked down and seen Chinamen serving Rice on a Rickshaw, as we floated over it, after getting airborne. the shock was so great, the newish Dr side Exhaust manifold cracked in half. I looked behind me in the mirror to watch Kurts truck and trailer get airborn, and change lanes in mid air.

We stopped at an Oreilly's and they said nobody but the Distro center in Denver had the Dorman Manifold. They said they would call them, and set it up for us, and to just go there and buy it from them. Away we go to Denver, just a few more hours away.

We get there 30 mins before they close. Will call is the only place the public can enter. Counter dude has no idea what I am talking about, after a brief explanation. He looks it up, and says he has one, just one, but I need to go to a store, and pay for it, then he can give it to me. Clocks ticking, so I stay, Kurt takes off to one a few miles away... At rush hour.

Kurt calls and says bad news, the one they have is not the one for my 98. :( Says the one I need is on KC, which we was at the day before. Ugh..... Oriely instructs us to go to Moab Oreilly, and order it from them, and they can have it in a few days. Off we go to Moab.

Before hitting camp, we head straight to Oreilly. Counter gal says she will warranty the part as it was a lifetime, and she wont know the arrival date until the next day. Sweet.
Go back the next day, ask if they know what day it will be there, and they say that the KC store cancelled the order due to not actually having the part. The say sorry, nothing they can do. OK.... hmmmm. I call a family member who works for them and at HQ.

Next day, I get a message saying not to worry, the part will be there in one day. Sweet??
The next day again..... I go to collect the part. Not there.
The next next next day, nothing.
The next next next next day, the part is there, and it's time to go home. Not sweet.
I still have it in a box, needing to get installed. I got lucky and it held up for the trip back.

BH 7.JPG

Back