The Black Pearls LM7 5.3 LS SWAP! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Black Pearls LM7 5.3 LS SWAP!

SO I guess the time has came early for my 5.3L LS swap on The Black Pearl!!

LET THE HATE BEGIN!!!

I have a buddy that is a drag-racer but started working for a ****ty speed shop in the area and now he is burnt out from engines and all that; He is getting into guns and i have built a few ARs. We did some talking the other weekend and we figured that one of my ARs is worth about the same as his 400-450 horse Gen3 LM7 (706 heads, Gen4 internals. Titanium valve springs, retainers and guides)

Currently the piston rings are gaped and it has a cam setup for spray but he just hadn't gotten around to get nitro setup in the car yet. This is in a late 80s Monte Carlo BTW.

This are some pictures i loaded on my SAS build thread so i will post them up here to keep it all in one place.

General LS pic.jpg
This is just a general picture i found on google but thats pretty much the setup i am getting.

I have some 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds that will be used (IF they fit!) that he threw in as well.

I went to the wrecking yard last weekend and picked up a 2000 tahoe fuseblock, harness, MAF and PCM for $40.65 out the door.
Junkyard harness.jpg

Started pulling it apart and removing ALL un-needed circuits, Factory fuse block, A/C, EVAP, Trans and a few other circuits.

harness remains.jpg

i also added a few circuits such as a secondary ground circuit for the Taurus 2-speed fan i have installed. The fans are controlled by the PCM, the PCM sends ground to the fan relays to turn them on/off at set temps (that will be programmed into the PCM when it gets tuned).

This is what we have left:
My harness.jpg

To clean things up in the engine bay i am going to use a Corvette style fuel system. There is no fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail, it in in-line on the frame rail. It also uses a return-less system incorporated into the fuel filter, with the regulator.

Screenshot_2019-01-03-12-27-01.png

450 is overkill but this pump is a direct for to the explorer in-tank fuel pump according to Walbro.

This fuel filter will replace the factory Explorer fuel filter. It is a Corvette fuel filter with a built in fuel pressure regulator. With a return line back to the tank for unused fuel.
Filter regulator.JPG

These engines require 60PSI fuel pressure and the 1gen explorers are only pushing around 30-40 PSI.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your gonna need a bigger radiator aren't you? That Taurus fan will be handy for that.

Wonder if you can get a Chevy radiator to work, so you don't have Micky mouse the coolant plumbing.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I am not sure. The 2000ish ranger guys (most ford/LS swaps are in that gen ramgers) are running the factory radiators. I figure if need be I'll get a V8 swap radiator or something like that from James Duff or the like.

Well everything seems to be working well with the harness/fuse box/data link connector.
Sorry for the crappy phone pic. Couldn't get the glare out of the screen.
2019-08-25 12.52.23.jpg

I can command a few functions on this old OBD2 system. IAC/Fuel Pump

So this happenes last night:
1566765018412.temp.jpg

Fuel rails for the 5.3. The injectors are 40 lbs injectors, and are taller than factory. The teouble is with the oem cross over pipe now sits an inch off the top of the intake. This makes laying the harness hard to do and concerning for hood clearance.

Stumbled on these yesterday and were cheap. But i do need to make small brackets to dit on the truck intake manifold.

Picked up the corvette fuel filter/fuel pressure regulator this morning, I need to buy the -AN adapters for it. Could have bought the setup that already has the AN fittings but i dont think i will have a problems with leaking or anything and being that my local auto parts store keeps them in stock for 10 bucks.

Should i ever need one i am sure i would be able to get one quickly for a repair.

WIN_20190826_08_12_13_Pro.jpg

This is the Factory fuel filter for the 99-04 corvette, base and Z06 trims

With only a few things left to do on the truck I have been thinking a lot about what trans to run with this setup.

I can't get passed the 6.69:1 first year ratio of the 435 I have sitting in the shop right now. But it is going to take some getting used to running a manual transmission, especially in rocks.

I know @gmanpaint is going to throw something at me and tell me to get the bumper and sliders finished LMAO. But after yesterday spending several hours drilling out 3 3/8 bolt holes in the frame and still one to go, burnt up the plasma cutter (circuit board had a "thermal Event" so it's toast, pun intended) and failing to finish drilling the last hole out with a step bit, drill bit and whatever else I had laying around I am taking the day off lmfao.

So I need a list of parts for an auto to manual swap. I've been searching the forums and now it seems most of the threads are 95-01 related. I know gman has done this so looking to him for a parts list.

Yup I figured my Google-foo was on labor day weekend vacation.

I'll have to make a parts list of my own. I have a good list going for the np435 to ls swap stuff, and the plan is to run the factory pedal and clutch master, to a one off hydro hose. with the Ford style at the master, and 1/4 (if I remember correctly) npt at the slave. To an adjustable Novak throw out bearing

Thinking about the clutch slave cylinder:
I believe I may be able to use the factory explorer part.

The np435 bearing retainer tube is 1.43" O.D. While the factory explorer slave cylinder is 1.56 I.D.

Wondering if that 0.13 would be a big deal?
and there is also the mounting of the slave to the retainer.

Might need to find an explorer/ranger trans and check on those.

I have a 96 4.0 M5od downstairs with slave in it if you need pics or measurements

I have a 96 4.0 M5od downstairs with slave in it if you need pics or measurements
That would be great. I think the OD if the front retaining tube, ID of the throw out bearing.

I am not familiar with how they are retained in place. I know there are several (like speedway motors) that use a stud in place of one of the bearing retainer bolts to keep it from rotating.

Ill get some pictures and some measurements today
The TO bearing snaps in place using plastic clips......if I remember correctly, it has been years since I had to install one, usually it is already mounted to the slave. I will take the one I have off the transmission (two 10mm bolts) and get some measuring done

Ill get some pictures and some measurements today
The TO bearing snaps in place using plastic clips......if I remember correctly, it has been years since I had to install one, usually it is already mounted to the slave. I will take the one I have off the transmission (two 10mm bolts) and get some measuring done
Awesome, thank you.

In a perfect world, id like to use the stock explorer clutch master cylinder, hydraulic line, and slave cylinder... and run the Novak adjustable throw-out bearing.

Getting the slave to bolt up to the trans i think will make/break this idea.

There is always the option to use the factory NP435 TO and fork, and just run Novaks hydraulic pushrod to the clutch fork. That has been proven to work... as long as i have floor-pan, frame clearance.

Trying to get the explorer parts to work should alleviate the clearance worries.

pioneering into new territory is always fun!!

okay here we go
171_031728_030000000.jpg

10mm, 21mm, 25mm and 21mm again in case you cannot read my scribble, those are diameters

171_031724_000000000.jpg

171_031724_000000001.jpg

The slave and TO bearing, the opening is smaller at the rear and larger at the front (to clear the splines)
171_031724_000000002.jpg

Inside hub @ front: 30mm
Hub outer dia (not pictured) 36mm

inside hub @ rear of slave: 28mm
171_031724_000000003.jpg

And the TO bearing is retained with a metal retainer ring:
171_031724_000000004.jpg

Hope that is clear enough and makes sense

Above and beyond my friend thank you.

I will do some research and see what I can come up with. May drag out my np435 from under the work bench (with a bronco Dana 20 installed easier said than done) and see how close the numbers are.

Do you happen to know what the slave mounting hole measurements are?

I can find out later today!
You want to know how far apart they are and what thread?
My guess is 8mm thread 1.25 pitch, 10mm bolt head but let me actually measure

I can find out later today!
You want to know how far apart they are and what thread?
My guess is 8mm thread 1.25 pitch, 10mm bolt head but let me actually measure
I am sure the thread pitch is different. Spoke with Setinu last night about his 435 setup, he is using a pull type slave and seems to have enough room for everything. he did chop up the floor pan to stuff the drivetrain up into the body for ground clearance, so i may go his route and just run that setup.

Well i think its about that time to start thinking about starting this swap.

After much debate, i think i am going to stick with the NP435. It is already setup and (for the most part) ready to go.

Back