Project Lazyboy SAS... | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Lazyboy SAS...

So just bought the wife a new 2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost she told me I can have the Lincoln Aviator and do whatever I want with it. So I am going to SAS this beast. Already started collecting parts. This time I am going full widths.

Here is pic of the bosses new truck...
20120805_095252.jpg

Project Lazyboy 2003 Lincoln Aviator 4.6 DOHC 5 speed auto AWD.
20120422_174132.jpg

Plans for the truck
3/4 ton Chevy leafs rear.
Ford 9.75 5.13 Detroit
F150 High pinion Dana 44 5.13 electric locker
Custom long arm set up with coilovers
Electric shift BW1356 (should fit since the frame is wider and gas tank is on the pass side).

I should be starting the build in the next couple months. We are getting ready to move so I may not start until mid/late Fall. Stay tuned....:D

Oh and if anyone wants some upgrade parts for there Explorer or Mountaineer the Lincoln used Aluminum front control arms and I think a few other things like bigger brakes all that stuff will be for sale. Also the Aviator has 4.30 gears in it now those axles will be up for grabs when the time comes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Cant wait to see the rear finished.

The rear I will wire in ABS connector front I will just have live with out it and ignore the light.

Got the rear bolted it. Driveshaft reaches barely. LOL It is sitting pretty high. I am going to see if settles down before I make any changes. But I can lower the perches and take the over load out and it will drop 2 inches. I also don't think it will settle much until I get the front up in the air. Thing is so huge with stock tires it still won't get out of the garage. LOL This should be fun.

And one other issue I found so far is the rear driveshaft is real close to rubbing the gas tank shield. So I might look into a thinner shaft or see if I scout the Tcase over some.

You can see I might have to cut the old IRS out some to clearance the rear diff. But I am going to leave the truck this high until I get the front done then work on leveling it out.
20121029_141439.jpg

I think 33s might clear...
20121029_134732.jpg

For brake lines I picked up some Chevy H38620 lines they are super long. I am putting line on each side of the frame. I was hoping to use the Expedition lines that came with axle but Ford used bubble flare ends and the Lincoln is a double flare. Silly Ford why can't you make things easier. LOL

Got the brake lines hooked up this morning. Here are some pics

Left to right Stock Linc pass side hose and caliper, Chevy line in the middle, and Expedition line. You can see the Expedition line would have reached/worked if it would have been right style of end on the hose.
20121030_080422.jpg

Here I have the pass side plumbed in. Worked like a champ! I put the part # up there for anyone who needs these babies. They are only 15 bucks each at Advance.
20121030_080916.jpg

Driver side I just picked up a 3/16' T and 8" hard line to plumb it in. Since this side had the T built into the factory hose. Pretty simple stuff. Glad Ford stuck with double flare hard lines makes buying parts cheap and easy. I have about $40 bucks in the rear brake lines now.
20121030_082947.jpg

Looking Great. Subscribed

LOL took for test drive those springs are amazing so smooth can't wait to get the front done....

They been tryin to catch me ridin dirty... LOL
20121030_105321.jpg

20121030_111518.jpg

20121030_111704.jpg

Hopefully I will have time to start front later this week.

Looks good! Compared to other SAS's, how difficult was the rear swap? Will you be running sway bars?

You could just pop a wheelie everywhere and not even worry about the front ;)

Looks good! Compared to other SAS's, how difficult was the rear swap? Will you be running sway bars?

The rear was pretty easy. If I knew what I was doing I could have had it done in 4 hours tops. Considering I didn't work on it solid last few days I have about 5-6 hours in it.

Looking good! This is what I am going to do with my Explorer.

Come SAS my ranger, I will feed you all the whiskey and dead cow you can handle! lol

Back