George Washington Nation Forest Run, 9/24/11 | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

George Washington Nation Forest Run, 9/24/11

sounds great, I will be up there anytime after 10 am on friday..... dont hold me to the barbeque thing..... i might be able to smoke a shoulder or two on thursday, but it will depend on how late i get back in town... sorry i cant be more definative and i really wont know untill the 22nd, so you had better plan on your own eats. latest discussion i had with meat , he says that he may come up that afternoon as well.

Bring your swimming stuff..... the river is great for wading/swimming and i can provide a couple tubes. It takes about one beer to get from one end of the frontage to the other so it is just right, then 4wd can shuttle you back up and reload with beer two etc.

For those interested in a sunday run, i have wanted to do this trail called peavine mountain but it is a little far south on the BRP but it might be possible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey do you have an address i can put in my gps where we would be camping.or you can pm me with it

map info

the Bing link that i placed in post #158 has everything you need. Note that google maps disavows any knowledge of my existence. Also any GPS units more than a year old refuse to acknowledge my existence. If you cant plug in the homesite address you can use the "Deer meadows" address (746 jones overlook, howardsville va) which will get you to the tract just around the corner from Riverbreeze.

Word of warning..... gps units do not always pick the best routes when you are out in the sticks.

look at the Bing link and turn on aerial first. It will help make sense of the area.

the Bing link that i placed in post #158 has everything you need. Note that google maps disavows any knowledge of my existence. Also any GPS units more than a year old refuse to acknowledge my existence. If you cant plug in the homesite address you can use the "Deer meadows" address (746 jones overlook, howardsville va) which will get you to the tract just around the corner from Riverbreeze.

Word of warning..... gps units do not always pick the best routes when you are out in the sticks.

look at the Bing link and turn on aerial first. It will help make sense of the area.

Yea i have Google maps on my phone gps.but ill map it out first.im going ti try and leave by 12 from va beach.i got to pick up my drive shaft and have my tires balanced first on Fri before i can leave so as soon as that's done im leaving ,hopefully before 12.how long do you think it will take from va beach

I can't wait for this trip I'm in for any trails around and would enjoy camping anywhere free lol
Tires scheduled delivery date is saturday im so ready!!!!

I can't wait for this trip I'm in for any trails around and would enjoy camping anywhere free lol
Tires scheduled delivery date is saturday im so ready!!!!

Me too.i got my aussie today,only took 3days.still waiting on my gears tho.ill be packed thurs night butt ain't trying to wake up super early going to try for 9-10 then i just gota pick up my drive shaft and have my tires balanced,witch both shouldn't take that long.im for sure not trying to get there and set up in the dark!!!

If everybody is going up on Friday afternoon, then we will likely go then as well.

Fishfoods place for camping is as nice or nicer than any public or commercial campground.

It is about 2-hours west of Richmond, but if you go out Route 6 it is an intersting ride. Beach people can go 64 west to 288 (west of Richmond) or 460 west to 95 north to 288 (south of richmond) then Route 6 west. I think 64 will be faster.

Fishfood admitted to me that he has not whelled the new tank trap pit he has dug,cause he was alone and afraid he would get stuck, and he has a winch.

So we can do a little hill climbing and mud bogging there.

hey all,

fishfood here and stepping into what appears to be lengthy post. When i knew uncle meat was planning this trip i had indicated to him that i would offer up my place for the camp. I guess he was being a polite old fart and waiting for me to officially offer up my place.

well here is the official offer:

"camp spike" (aka Riverbreeze) is available for our use on this weekend. The house is only shelled in at this time, but it provides 2200 sf of floor space for crashing on. Of course there is electric, water etc, but plumbing is not completed so there is a clean porta potty. We have wooded camp sites for about a dozen with no problem,

We have private trails with hill climbs, tank traps etc. We have about a mile of frontage on the james river for our use. Additionally i just picked up another 10 ac piece around the corner with a couple acres of meadow with the balance in woods. no trails on that piece yet but you can blaze whetever you want to.

We can do target practice here as well. and we dont have to worry about that pesky "drinking in public" thing that is always an issue at parks like sherando.

i had planned on providing pulled pork BBQ and beer but dont hold me to that....i will be out of town until just before the run.

attached is the link to the bing map turn on the arial view for a better view.
i will be there from friday morning on. for those taking friday off. if yopu think you want to camp here just let me know either by pm or in this forum.
http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=MLOM...xMjQwMjY1MjM3MjMlN2UtNzcuNzQxODM2NTQ3MzEyNQ==

stacey
Don't think this bing map is right.it pull up somewhere in washington state

bing map

you may want to try it again..... i clicked on it in two different ways 1. in your post, and 2 in the original post # 158. each time it puts me there. now the mapping does first open up with a view of the of united states, it then goes to va, then third screen is the site. if you are having difficulty, use 746 Jones Overlook, Howardsville Va....that address has been around longer than my Riverbreeze address and is recognized by older GPS units. that property is .3 miles from the house site.

Maybe its my phone.it brings up redwood washington state.ill try it on my home computer later.

Ok it says 3 hours and 26 mins ;) not bad so prob about 4ish

be very scared

the road between Scottsville and Howardsville sucks. it is barely 13-16 feet wide, with blind curves. The posted speed is either 45-55 but the sight distance around the curves is less than 25 ....... expect that you will come around the curve and find someone coming at you at 55. You will most likely have to drop a wheel or two in the ditch through there. most gps units will send you that way so just be careful. there are other ways to get there but probably too confusing to discuss.

Dont ask me how to get there via interstate..... interstates suck. i Dont use them. Uncle meat on the otherhand cant get to the bathroom without using the interstate. Interstate fanatics that i know drive all the way to charlottesvile then go backwards. So what if they add another fifty miles of the interstate thump de thump...... they are doing it fast.

you beach guys may consider 60 west of richmond to 56 to 602 to 626 but WTF do i know.... i look for scenic by ways when i travel.

if you really insist on i-64 i would suggest rt 15 through fork union to bridgeport road rt ? to 20 to 655 to 602 to 626.

Unclemeat has been there before right? Maybe Will,branding and me can met up with him in ric and all of us can come up at once,four truck explorer convoy ;)

Yea, I have been there before, and even found it on my own. I have only been the scary way. But I can follow the hell out of good directions. For simplicity sake it is in/around Howardsville on the James River and that is a tiny place. I dont care about Interstates when I am driving my X cause it will only go about 60-mph before it gets really scarry. I would pick up Route 6 just west of Richmond (288/295/64).

Freddy still trying to back out? Couldn't he ride along if he is short on cash?

yes i could hitch a ride. but i dont really want jds dog in my lap for 4 hours lol
plus id have to put all my **** in a cramped truck.

im debating driving the diesel up there, just not going on trails with it, but atleast to get to camp or whatever. but then theres no fun for me on the trails since i wont use that truck.

but im still trying my bestest to get the exploder ready. its gonna be a last minute thing with me.
im gonna ask my grandma if she can pay my height ticket as an early bday present. then i *should* be ok, im not gonna buy anything except the brake lines and fluid. bushings and crap are gonna have to make due as is

yes i could hitch a ride. but i dont really want jds dog in my lap for 4 hours lol
plus id have to put all my **** in a cramped truck.

im debating driving the diesel up there, just not going on trails with it, but atleast to get to camp or whatever. but then theres no fun for me on the trails since i wont use that truck.

but im still trying my bestest to get the exploder ready. its gonna be a last minute thing with me.
im gonna ask my grandma if she can pay my height ticket as an early bday present. then i *should* be ok, im not gonna buy anything except the brake lines and fluid. bushings and crap are gonna have to make due as is

You can put those fines on a payment plan.just pay ten bucks a month i do it all the time;)i can prob get those lines made cheaper than you can buy them.ask for a tank of gas for your bday instead.i all ready offered a ride but yea it will be packed!

lol. nah, ill prob get the ticket and gas for my bday lol
the brake lines are $43.18 shipped on rockauto. beat that?

yea i know you did, but its just a pain in the ass to add me and my stuff in, so i wouldnt even bother. im hoping worse case i just drive the diesel and get 14mpg highway lol

lol. nah, ill prob get the ticket and gas for my bday lol
the brake lines are $43.18 shipped on rockauto. beat that?

yea i know you did, but its just a pain in the ass to add me and my stuff in, so i wouldnt even bother. im hoping worse case i just drive the diesel and get 14mpg highway lol

Extended¿i still can beat that.it cost me like 7-12 bucks for me to have them done i think.it was real cheap.the truck should be done just not everything neww. Think your just freakn out.and you know ill bring tons of food and Hell a pack of chicken and poptarts is cheap! !hahah

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes im 70% freaking out lol
as long as i dont have to get anything besides gear fluid, brake lines and a gallon of tranny fluid(change t-case and have spare fluid left) i should be ok.

the brake lines are stock... for a f350.. so on mine theyre considered extended. but if you can do em cheaper, get them for me!

chicken tenders, poptarts, pb&j and dr pepper are my life lol

Back