NSSJ2's 4406 swap | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NSSJ2's 4406 swap

the transfer case swap commences today!! Lets see how long it takes. any helpful hints?? Im pretty excited for this, something ford should have done off the line. Ill have pics as i go.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they dont look bent, and my 2wd 4wd test involved a dirt parking lot, and i can vouch its fully going into 2wd and 4wd. i was mistaken earlier about the grinding, what i heard was the linkage shaking up against the tranny, which i just had to re-tighten. and i never brought it back up to speed the first time. it solidly engages into all modes. so as it stands, theres a driveline vibration (rest of the truck doesnt shake), which is noticeable at 40, and unsafe at 65-70, regardless of road, turning, breaking, and worse with acceleration.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

they dont look bent, and my 2wd 4wd test involved a dirt parking lot, and i can vouch its fully going into 2wd and 4wd. i was mistaken earlier about the grinding, what i heard was the linkage shaking up against the tranny, which i just had to re-tighten. and i never brought it back up to speed the first time. it solidly engages into all modes. so as it stands, theres a driveline vibration (rest of the truck doesnt shake), which is noticeable at 40, and unsafe at 65-70, regardless of road, turning, breaking, and worse with acceleration.

Have you tried re clocking one of the drive shafts? what I mean by this is remove it -rotate it and remount.

I'd bet a driveshaft is bent or out of balance-u-joints are a possible

Did your snap rings fully seat on your front driveshaft and are you certain the caps are fully seated in the front differential yoke? I am asking because I have had a needle fall in a cap, prevent the cap from fully seating and thus not fitting within the tabs on the yoke on the differential.

snap rings are fully set, and theyre exactly in the tabs. havent re-clocked them, if it was a small vibration, i would think it would be, but at 65 my shift lever is shaking damn near an inch. as bad as that, would it be worth it to re-clock? i only replaced the front conversion u joint, the other 3 look original. front shaft was from a 03 f-150 which was tboned in the rear, and the rear shaft was from a 99 exp which rolled. might pull the front shaft test drive it and see if its still there.

mountaineergreen. you are my hero right now. like seriously man, many many many thanks. thats what it was. front shaft out and she runs like a freaking champ! silent as a church mouse, but a 30ft burnout when it wants :). so now, a shopping list for the new front shaft.

jeep grand cherokee front shaft (what year?)
96 explorer front double cardan joint
3 1-0153 u joints (2 for the double cardan, one for the conversion joint)

sound about right?

I can't believe I forgot you had the lift when you started this, I could have saved you some coin. :(

I think the Grand Cherokee shaft was from a newer one, say a 98 or so. The Explorer shaft is the rear driveshaft in a Sport.

But. I also have a front driveshaft from a 95 or 96 Explorer in my shop that is a double cardian, but I believe the one end is not flanged. But, it could potentially work in place of the Jeep driveshaft. You can have it for shipping if it will work. I'll have to go to the shop and see how long it is.

its all good, i didnt even think about it. the rear shaft is good, right? i think tomorrow im going to take it to a driveline shop and have them fab a new front joint from the f-150 shaft. i talked to them before this, and they said they can do it for around $100-$150. if not, ill end up trying to buy a couple driveshafts from yards which will be about that much. ill let you know on monday, if they go steeper i might take you up on the sport one. if i get plans for it from the shop, want me to give them to you for your 4406 thread?

well, i took it to nothern colorado driveline. $200 out the door :(. figuring that shipping your driveshaft would be $30, a jeep shaft $80-90, 2 u joints ($15 a pop), so about $150 that way. might as well get a warranty with it for $50 more. should be done tonight or tomorrow am, but i wont be that way until about friday. damn greeley.

SWEETNESS GLAD ITS ON THE ROAD now you can see what all the hubaloo is about

AWD suck dittley ucks

haha, well, its on the road with no front driveshaft. but i already can vouch. mileage went WAY up, power is more accessible, and it just drives better. big thing i notice is that it doesnt dog as much when i let off the gas to coast. im chomping at the bit for some snow, or a trail run. awd is for the birds when it comes to trails lol. thanks again for the help everyone, as soon as i find my camera usb cable, ill post some pics.

AWD is great for general no thought driving in normal conditions. It would be best for my work truck(SOHC). I look forward to daring my rear tires to not spin with the TOD BW4406. I also had a front shaft rebuilt from two used shafts.

just remember to actually use 4x4 when you need it. The V8 with 2wd is a tail happy summa gun... don't ask me how I know :roll:

Jim, let me know if you need any help finishing up things now that you're back in the Fort.

Hey MG, I know this is off topic but when you did you SOA, do you have anything else with that....shackles or AAL, and did you take out your overload spring or any other springs?

Hey MG, I know this is off topic but when you did you SOA, do you have anything else with that....shackles or AAL, and did you take out your overload spring or any other springs?

PM'd :salute:

picked up the front shaft today! looks pretty sweet, test it out tomorrow. again, this is off an f-150, shortened, with a double cardan added to it. yoke to yoke its 33 1/2".
IM000057.jpg

IM000058.jpg

Very good, it looks just like mine, but with more fresh paint.

Back