Paint Issues - Non Hood | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Paint problems will happen with any make of vehicle. This does not appear to be a major problem for the Ex.

I myself have a small rust spot just under the chrome Explorer logo on the rear liftgate. Getting it repainted under warranty.

What I am real happy about is my dealer outsources the painting to a very good independent shop with a strong reputation.

My experience, and talking others, is that in-house body and paint work done at dealers is generally not up to snuff. You want someone who really specializes in painting and banks their entire reputation on it to do the job. Not car dealers.

2014 explorer paint issues

any news on flaking paint on 2014 explorer mine is shedding so fast starting with rear deck lid that it'll be naked by mid-summer

Welcome to the forum. :chug:

I moved your thread to our Stock 2011+ subforum where the right folks will see it.

any news on flaking paint on 2014 explorer mine is shedding so fast starting with rear deck lid that it'll be naked by mid-summer
Welcome to the Forum mhenigan.:wavey:
There are a few posts regarding paint issues that mainly have to do with the hood. I recommend taking your Explorer right back to the dealer to have them address the problem. This would be a warranty issue.
Also, it would be very helpful if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so that it always shows in the left margin.
Good luck.

Peter

welcome to the forum mhenigan.:wavey:
There are a few posts regarding paint issues that mainly have to do with the hood. I recommend taking your explorer right back to the dealer to have them address the problem. This would be a warranty issue.
Also, it would be very helpful if you added the model of your explorer to your profile so that it always shows in the left margin.
Good luck.

Peter

+1

Just I just found this thread after looking to see if there were any issues with the new style explorers paint.... My paint is peeling and chipping off and the rear just below the aluminium strip below the Ford symbol. It is on the top corners of the section that is indented where the license plate goes. Has anyone else seen paint chipping in this area?

More than 2 years between posts Mishtar. Good to see you are still around. I thought that there was a post about a paint issue with the liftgate but I haven't been able to find it. It definitely doesn't appear to be a common problem. Have you discussed it with your dealer to see what they can do for you?

Peter

More than 2 years between posts Mishtar. Good to see you are still around. I thought that there was a post about a paint issue with the liftgate but I haven't been able to find it. It definitely doesn't appear to be a common problem. Have you discussed it with your dealer to see what they can do for you?

Peter

Hey Peter, I am still around just not lurking on the forums much. Was not much I could do after buying the vehicle. I still like it somewhat but seeing how cheap the resale value was only one year into owner ship was kind of crappy. Gas mileage has never gotten better but at least now gas prices are cheaper down here where I am living in Colorado.

The dealer I bought it from is in Canada but I have shown it to a dealer down here. I just noticed it now though and I am at 37500 miles so it may not be covered we will see. It is just in such a weird place, not like rocks or wind are hitting it on the highway.

Seems I ran in to the typical Ford customer service I have come to expect over the last few years. I paid $45,000 for a car exactly 3 tears ago in March and I have 37,500 miles on it and they told me that I am past the Base warranty and since the missing paint is not rusted out it would not be covered. This is really B's. I have had so many issues I have had to get fixed with this car already and now I am being told it is normal for paint to just be falling off the rear of the vehicle so they will not cover it?

Really just INCREDIBLE for a truck so expensive and only 3 years old.... If it is rust or not it's just not acceptable.

I totally agree. I have a Tahoe (work vehicle) approaching 10 years old, the paint/body is still fine....and it's never been garaged.

It'll be interesting to see if Ford tries to talk their way out of this. The fact is if they don't fix it, at their expense, I will never buy a Ford again....even though I love Mustangs. Customer service should mean actually making the customer happy, when the problem with the vehicle is obviously a manufacturing issue.

The Explorer that was in the shop on the day I reported this had the "rust" issue too, and today when I showed the dealer the paint issue around the roof rack he told me the other Explorer had the same issue. The other Explorer is a 2011 Limited, black, as well. Hmmm.

Ours has dirt or something in a few spots on the hood and a flaw in the paint on the front bumper so they need it for at least 3 days to re paint the whole front end. I'm not exited about having a brand new vehicle that's going to have a resprayed front end but I don't want the crap in the paint either.

Ours has dirt or something in a few spots on the hood and a flaw in the paint on the front bumper so they need it for at least 3 days to re paint the whole front end. I'm not exited about having a brand new vehicle that's going to have a resprayed front end but I don't want the crap in the paint either.

Let me know when you get your Explorer back, ARS1. If you need any additional assistance, I'll be here. :)

Crystal

tailgate paint popper

I am new to the forum..
I have a 2012 Ford Explorer with 124,000 kms.
i know i know its big, but here's the thing nothing noticable on the front/mirrors etc in the form of stone chips, no dents..
but on the tailgate right beside the beginning of the "chrome" explorer handle.
I have a paint circle about a 1/2 inch "popped" off right down to the metal, no rust, just a grey metal circle.
I called Ford/went to the dealer took some pics and got the Ford 2 step shuffle in regards to the Km's..
Here's the thing if this was in the front no questions, if there was a dent no questions, but to have the paint pop off where it is on the tailgate.. its obviously a defect and to summarily dismiss me because of the miles (the car is 2.5 years old) sucks..
I've had cars 5 times older and not have that issue
outside of that and some other issues.. ie the splitting of the seam on the armrest ( i saw that on another forum here as well.. ) the truck has been very reliable and its good on gas and we love it.. but this and the reaction of Ford not to look at the situation for what it is will definately factor into my decision to buy another Ford..

Our 2014 Sport has several pieces of dirt under the paint in a couple spots. Obvious clear coat drip at the corner of the body above one tail light and obvious paint drip at the other corner. I can not understand how dirt under the paint would pass final inspection. Blows my mind.

I'm glad I got a new hood, at no cost to me. My dealer did a great deal to help take care of that issue. The paint on the roof is still as it was, flaking/peeling, but I'm short, so I can't see that as much. lol.

I'm happier than I was when I found this mess, but I still think Ford should have done more.

I too can't wait to see what happens when all the new F-150 Aluminum bodied trucks bubble up and the paint falls off......Chevy we be happy.

2013 Explorer Ruby Red Metallic Paint Problem

Monday, 3-30-15 08:45 EST

Hi,
I just got off the phone with my Ford dealer, and when I was detailing my wife's car yesterday I noticed the blistering around the front lip of the hood!

Just made an appointment with the service department and their first question was "how many miles are on the car and when did you buy it"!

I'll keep the group posted!

...Just made an appointment with the service department...

This is the best next step, kushrope2000; I'm glad you're heading in for diagnosis soon! Thanks for offering to keep us in the loop. I'll check in on this thread to see if you need any assistance after your appointment.

Crystal

Did anyone else besides me ever have issues with the paint peeling on the back?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back