Project Vulture | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Vulture

@Fix4Dirt I've heard of the ABS method working, but never got any concrete information relating to the regear. The ABS monitors front and rear wheel speed and then there's a drive shaft speed sensor, as I understand, and it is the discrepancy in ratio from 4.10:1 to 5.125:1 (5.13's are really 5.125) that causes the problem. With the regear + larger tires, the speedometer is perfectly accurate (lower gears make lower vehicle speed, larger tires make higher vehicle speed), according to local police officer's speed radar.

So the issue is that the drive shaft speed sensor no longer matches up with the axle shaft speed sensors. This I know, but how to fix it I don't know, without that DLC.

To clarify, the regear compensated for the larger tires, in terms of speedometer/wheel speed.
i can check again when i renew my license maybe in a few weeks when ill need it again, but i rememebr there being a box to type in gears. i have a picture of it somewhere, im pretty sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice. If that works, I'm down - but I'll have to find somebody willing to do that, for a price I can afford. I haven't the slightest idea how I'd go about it on my own (again, without buying afore-mentioned specialized equipment), and I can only hope it doesn't interface through the DLC.

Regardless, I need to figure out what on earth is wrong with those DLC's, because it's annoying having codes and suspicions, but no way to interface with the OBD-II. If only I could source some wiring diagrams, I could at least see how it all connects, but thus far I've only found a diagram that shows how it connects to the PCM, not to the GEM. And tracing the wires is going to be a pain, no matter what.

Nice. If that works, I'm down - but I'll have to find somebody willing to do that, for a price I can afford. I haven't the slightest idea how I'd go about it on my own (again, without buying afore-mentioned specialized equipment), and I can only hope it doesn't interface through the DLC.

Regardless, I need to figure out what on earth is wrong with those DLC's, because it's annoying having codes and suspicions, but no way to interface with the OBD-II. If only I could source some wiring diagrams, I could at least see how it all connects, but thus far I've only found a diagram that shows how it connects to the PCM, not to the GEM. And tracing the wires is going to be a pain, no matter what.
lots of diagrams here 1996-2001 ford explorer / mountaineer workshop manual (5567 pages!)

i was able to do it via forscan in maybe 15 minutes. now thats something i can figure out, unlike youtube

@Fix4Dirt Yep, pretty sure that's the same ones I was looking at. I'll have to go through all of them more carefully when I have more time. Kinda considering just splicing in separate DLC's at each device that interfaces with it, once I figure out where they all are, to negate the need for tearing the dash apart so far. (I really, really dislike tearing the dash apart.) Why can't manufacturers just make the whole dash connect with like 4 bolts? :p

Now I need to do the same on Jade, thanks to the bodylift and 4.10 swap I'm off by like 13 mph. Kind of sucks that I'm running an OBD-I, not sure mine will be as simple being done from home!

You may be able to pretty easily yourself based on @Fix4Dirt

7BD108DF-21DD-479B-A0F1-9EC444DAEBE6.jpeg

lots of other things too like programming of keys bleeding abs and speed sensitive wipers :eek: didnt even know that was a thing till this, pretty sure it was that i didnt have but found cool

cant 100% confirm if it truly works since my change was so minute but it seems like it did. real way to test woukd be change it to 1 rev per mile and see

@Fix4Dirt Speed sensing wipers, nice feature I guess, but I find it somewhat annoying (at the very least, it's overly complex when a simple timer would have sufficed, but hey, if the same system is monitoring all of it, it's not like it was a big deal to Ford to make the speed affect the timing). At stop, it waits a long time between wipes. At speeds under 50 MPH, it waits for a shorter time than at stop. At speeds over 50 MPH, it waits for an even shorter time between wipes. I fail to see any real benefit, except for saving wear on the wiper speed knob (and the wiper blades, for the ignorant who don't know that you don't have to run the wipers at full speed when you're not moving).

Nevertheless, in order to edit what I need to change, ring and pinion ratio, gear ratio, axle ratio, or some other equivalent term should be what needs to be edited. I can't think of any reason that the ABS would need to be concerned with this, but then, with the speed-sensing wiper timer business, who knows, it might just be the ticket to solve my problem.

Whatever the case, any thing that requires the DLC is out of the question, until I figure out the wiring.

LOL i didnt enable it but found it cool nonetheless

i think the gem gets the data from tha abs module so by changing the abs module data the gem gets the right data i think.

@Fix4Dirt Time will tell, I suppose! Thanks for your help here, I've been at a loss for what to do (local Ford dealership hasn't been the slightest bit helpful in fixing the DLC issue).

IF you can change the gear ratio setting from the ABS settings, and IF the GEM actually does get that information from the ABS module, then theoretically, that should re-enable my ControlTrac Auto.

I wouldn't ask you to do this on your own, but this could be tested by changing the gear ratio setting to any thing other than 3.73 on yours, and then driving faster than 35 or 40 MPH for about 10 seconds. The 4-Hi and 4-Lo lights on the dash should blink on and off 6 times, pause momentarily, and then repeat, until the vehicle is turned off and back on. If messing with that triggers the same trouble code on yours (probably shouldn't go playing with it "just to see what happens"), then it most probably holds the solution for the trouble code on mine.

May be.

DLC, this is the road block. If I could get this stupid thing sorted out, I would be able to just take it to the Ford place and have them reprogram it the "normal" way. But of course they're no help when it comes to the nagging issues of 20+ year old vehicles. :p

View attachment 432803
lots of other things too like programming of keys bleeding abs and speed sensitive wipers :eek: didnt even know that was a thing till this, pretty sure it was that i didnt have but found cool

cant 100% confirm if it truly works since my change was so minute but it seems like it did. real way to test woukd be change it to 1 rev per mile and see
Are you saying your 98 has speed sensitive wipers? Admittedly most of this discussion is over my head, LOL.

Are you saying your 98 has speed sensitive wipers? Admittedly most of this discussion is over my head, LOL.
I didn't know we had that? I'd usually just flick it myself when needed, didn't even worry about using the normal settings or anything, weird habit of mine, just like to manually press the wiper each time 😂

Yeah, a lot of it is beyond me as well, though when I was reading it last night, was the literal middle of the night, so good chance I was too tired, probably still actually in the same boat 😂

apparently it can be added! it did not come from the dealer that way and for fun i clicked it and it seems to wipe faster on the highway! though dont get enough rain here for it to be useful

@Fix4Dirt Time will tell, I suppose! Thanks for your help here, I've been at a loss for what to do (local Ford dealership hasn't been the slightest bit helpful in fixing the DLC issue).

IF you can change the gear ratio setting from the ABS settings, and IF the GEM actually does get that information from the ABS module, then theoretically, that should re-enable my ControlTrac Auto.

I wouldn't ask you to do this on your own, but this could be tested by changing the gear ratio setting to any thing other than 3.73 on yours, and then driving faster than 35 or 40 MPH for about 10 seconds. The 4-Hi and 4-Lo lights on the dash should blink on and off 6 times, pause momentarily, and then repeat, until the vehicle is turned off and back on. If messing with that triggers the same trouble code on yours (probably shouldn't go playing with it "just to see what happens"), then it most probably holds the solution for the trouble code on mine.

May be.

DLC, this is the road block. If I could get this stupid thing sorted out, I would be able to just take it to the Ford place and have them reprogram it the "normal" way. But of course they're no help when it comes to the nagging issues of 20+ year old vehicles. :p
my odo reading isnt accurate anywaysnit reads under sinc eit shuts off when its hot, so i dont mind doing 40 when it reads 100 a bit 😂im considering playing around with the tire size first before the gears, just to prove to myself that the tire one works. then maybe ill try gears, not sure. need to renew license first however! so luckily the odo is being rolled up, dont worry im
not ferris ;)

In truth, perfect odometer reading isn't "that" important. What it really represents is "number of drivetrain rotations", which is a more accurate measure of a vehicle's usage than mileage any way, just mileage is a rough idea to help people conceive of the practical distance traveled and put the usage into a more relatable term.

No odometer reading can possibly be perfectly accurate because as tires heat and cool, the diameter changes minutely, as well as constantly shrinking due to wear. Mileage is in our minds, not on the vehicle's drive train.

And the speed sensing wipers ARE NOT rain sensing wipers. They just take whatever setting you've got it on, and make it faster as you go faster, within the parameters I mentioned. It has like 2 speeds and 15 timers any way, so who needs the speed sensing? :p

Any way, @Fix4Dirt thanks for your help, I'll hang tight until you renew that license, and meanwhile occupy myself with those wiring diagrams. Some thing has got to give, sooner or later.

Got some big-time wheeling coming up this month and was hoping to have these things worked out before then, but no biggie if not! As long as the T-case engages when I tell it to, I'm cool! :p

apparently it can be added! it did not come from the dealer that way and for fun i clicked it and it seems to wipe faster on the highway! though dont get enough rain here for it to be useful
Where do i find that feature?

Where do i find that feature?
I'll update ya when i get my license again, it was in service functions section iirc. Maybe I'll put it in the thread once I figure out gearing and tire size. Actually once i figure it out ill PM ya
In truth, perfect odometer reading isn't "that" important. What it really represents is "number of drivetrain rotations", which is a more accurate measure of a vehicle's usage than mileage any way, just mileage is a rough idea to help people conceive of the practical distance traveled and put the usage into a more relatable term.

No odometer reading can possibly be perfectly accurate because as tires heat and cool, the diameter changes minutely, as well as constantly shrinking due to wear. Mileage is in our minds, not on the vehicle's drive train.

And the speed sensing wipers ARE NOT rain sensing wipers. They just take whatever setting you've got it on, and make it faster as you go faster, within the parameters I mentioned. It has like 2 speeds and 15 timers any way, so who needs the speed sensing? :p

Any way, @Fix4Dirt thanks for your help, I'll hang tight until you renew that license, and meanwhile occupy myself with those wiring diagrams. Some thing has got to give, sooner or later.

Got some big-time wheeling coming up this month and was hoping to have these things worked out before then, but no biggie if not! As long as the T-case engages when I tell it to, I'm cool! :p
I just requested to renew the license, so hopefully I'll get it either tonight or tomorrow! at that point maybe I'll make a how to if it works! stay tuned ;) I'll check on both if tire size changes reading (since stock 29-31 wasnt a huge change enough to tell on the speedo) and if gearing makes a difference. I'll update yalls once i figure that out!

I just requested to renew the license, so hopefully I'll get it either tonight or tomorrow! at that point maybe I'll make a how to if it works! stay tuned ;) I'll check on both if tire size changes reading (since stock 29-31 wasnt a huge change enough to tell on the speedo) and if gearing makes a difference. I'll update yalls once i figure that out!
Yeah, that's not too surprising. Even the 32s on the X knocked it off. But not by a whole lot, gearing will really do it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok update, didnt seem to work :( it wouldnt accept it, but im running windows 7. will check with something running windows 10 sometime soon LOL

Back