Pugly | Page 49 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pugly

The Good, The Bad, & the Pugly :D

1994 Purple Explorer XLT 4wd

I decided to have a registry for my "Other" rig so I can post things done and have a reference for it.

Pretty much stock drive train.

4.0 OHV-A4ld-1354e.
D35 front 4:56 Yukon gears, Aussie Locker.
2nd gen disc 8.8 rear 4:56 gears, Spartan Locker.

Front C-Clip eliminator Mod.

Slight lift with 2" Skyjacker coils & rear F-150 hybrid leaf packs.

3" PA body lift
Helpful thread with pics for the front body mounts
Pics of front body lift mounts

Swapped to manual hubs.
Double U-joint XJ steering shaft.

33" x 12.5" x 15" Cooper Discoverer ATX3, mounted on 15"x10" AR Outlaw1 alum wheels - full size matching spare.

Shocks:
Front Rancho 9000xl
Rear Rancho 9000xl
Duff Stabilizer shock.

Sway bar quick disconnects front & rear.
Custom tube sliders w/kickouts

22" LED light bar.
18w amber fog Led pods.
55w rock lights--2 front--1 rear over diff.
8 LED pods for rocker lights.

Full brush guard.
2.5" Fender Flares.

TTB Diff guard & Skid plate.

Custom roof rack with 48" Extreme Hi-Lift jack.

Flipped Tow hitch & front hooks for tow points.

Cobra19 CB & rear hatch mounted firestick antenna.
Rear view HD camera.
JVC DVD/CD/MP3 Head unit with 7" HD Monitor.
Sony 6.5" front speakers.
Rockford Fosgate 5.25" component rear speakers.
8" JL Audio sub in 2001 enclosure with 500w amp mounted on enclosure.

Custom made center console with CB/Rear view color monitor/2-12v outlets/ in-out temp display. D cell Maglite mounted on cargo panel. Truck bed liner on cargo floor.
Custom Cargo storage box with topside spare tire mount.

'99 Eddie Bauer Front Leather buckets.
'94 Limited Rear leather split bench.

Pugsnewshoes_zpsf609e609.jpg

puglynewbrushguard1.jpg

94frontpassprofile.jpg

puglyrti2.jpg

puglyrearrti1.jpg

puglyrti1.jpg

aftermathmudbath2.jpg

puglysnewseats.jpg

cbantbracket.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Didn't think of that stuff. I have used Plastidip spray, & Rustoleum plastic spray before. I think Eastwood sells it too. Never heard of ALSA. Since I will be doing 5 wheel rotations, the paint is not really a product I want to use tho.

Might just use a coat of petroleum jelly to be honest. It wipes right off of metal with a rag fairly easy. I use it when spray painting epoxy, on big sewer drain pipe flanges. After the epoxy is cured, we simply cut the edge with a razor, and wipe off the jelly. OSHA demands raw steel between gaskets.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The vinyl type coatings are made to peel off just like a pin stripe, a hair dryer is about all that is needed. Only on bare raw surfaces does it get hard to remove, I was told not to use it on a dead paint surface. It will peel off of a waxed surface easily, but some will hold strong onto raw porous surfaces. You want that sometimes, but not always.

The Plastidip spray, & Rustoleum plastic spray are probably the most feasible choices for a longer term protection, the petroleum jelly would get worn off over time.

Just realized I have a few cans of high gloss clear plastidip. That will work. Can put it on the back side as well. These wheels have a factory clear on them, and the jelly would probably mess them up, now that I think about it. Wax would be the best, as far as being harmless, but no sense spending more, when I have something that will work.

Thanks for the ideas Don.

Yeah the nice aluminum wheels are worth saving if we can.

The clear on my aftermarket 18's died early from water getting behind it, so I was going to paint them with a grey metallic vinyl. I changed my mind when I found some nice forged 17's so the 18's will be scrap soon.

The decision to drop down to 33" tires turned out to be a good one.

These tires are extremely quiet, and they handle like a street tire. They are not a harsh ride either, which my back appreciates.

Pugly went across state, and up & over some long extreme grades. It only had to downshift one time, and that was only momentary.

The speedo is off a few mph now. Reads about 3 too high according to the GPS. I should have the right gear for the VSS, and will swap it out.

The nitty gritty:

The rigs driveline: 4.0L OHV / A4LD/ 1354 / 4.56 axle gearing

35" tires = 2000 rip-ums @65 mph. 2300 rip-ums @70mph

33" tires = 2300 rip-ums @65 mph. 2600 rip-ums @70mph

Even with the higher rip-ums, the MPG improved by 50 miles to the tank. The engine Load wasn't as high, and no increase in temps over a 500 mile trip.

Now to wait & see how these Coopers wear with use.

Been a bit since I posted here. Last post was about tires, and so is this post. LOL

Well, Pugly ran over a nice big Bolt (that looks like the tab sheared off of something), and decided to stab a front tire to death. Too big a hole to patch, and considered Non-repairable. This is the fastest I have ever killed a tire, in my life!! Still has the nipples on it for crying out loud!

Bolt in tire.jpg

The shop I took it too (Sams Club) said they do not have one after a nationwide store search. Instructed me to buy one, bring it to them, and they will reimburse me for it. (PITA)

Well as luck would have it, this tire is on a National Back order, with no idea when it will be back in production. Stupid Covid crap strikes again.

I thought I got lucky with Tire Rack online, as they say they ave a few, and could get it to me in 3 days. As I was checking out, the shipping date changed to 45 days out! WTF!

Been calling local stores in hopes they have one in stock, but no luck so far. Not having a spare is not a good thing, around a major city. Ugh.
I will keep on searching the webs in hopes I find one with a shorter wait time.

Just wanted to share that picture, as it is crazy to me! I will ask to keep that bolt as a souvenir, and share a picture of it later.

That doesn't look that bad? Doesn't seem like anything I wouldn't patch unless the hole is really chewed up. I use plug/patch deals that are all in one with great success. This might be out of their "liability range" though. I'd damn sure run it as a spare without hesitation.

I just had a customer that ran over a Leatherman in plier position and it went through the tire and poked a hole in the rim.

I would not hesitate to plug that tire and use it until the new one comes in. I would also be over at Sams Club telling them they need to change out all four tires to a compatible set because its not your problem they don't have any of that tire in stock.

I might end up trying that Brian. I can't go without a spare for a day, let alone months. (Its 5 tires too) I will resort to buying anything in a 33 just to have one, if nothing else works out.

As far as the bad tire, It must be because of the road hazzard warranty, that they, wont fix it. They will keep the tire they said if I bring them a new one to swap, and pay me back for it. if they let me keep it, then I would try to patch & plug it myself, and hold onto it.

I just got off the phone with Discount tire. They pulled a fast one on me. They claimed they had 4 in stock, ships in 2-5 days. I was all Woo Hoo and shiz. I purchased it on the spot. Called the tire shop, and told them I got one on the way. Then I got the email confirmation from Discount. They said they have 0 in stock. WTF? So I called them, on hold forever, then they offered a call back option, so I did it. They called 30 mins later, and hung up on me when I answered. Called back, and did the same deal again. OK, now I'm getting a little Hot at them.

They called again a few mins later. The rep said they have none in stock, and puts me on hold, and calls Cooper tire directly to find out whats up. Gets back to me and says they are closed already. I told him they are on national back order, and if they don't have any, they are in the same boat as everybody else, and to just refund my $$, so I can buy something else as a spare tire. He hesitated, and wants to try something first. He told me he will check some secret inventory of theirs for the tire, and will get back to me. I said get back to me by tomorrow, or I'm just going to want the refund. More than likely, this will just set me back a day in my quest to find a tire.

Ahh, so much aggravating fun, for something that used to be so simple.

Well, Discount tire is a fricking Joke!! They agreed to return my funds, but instead of a refund, they hit my card again, for another sale instead. so I paid them $465 to give me a run around!! Richards!!! 🤬

I talked to Sams Club, and told the the issue with Cooper and a Minimum of 2 month back order, and asked if I could just get another tire the same size for now. They told me to go to the website, pick out a full set of 5 tires, the closest in comparison, and have them shipped to the store. They will charge me $100 for install & road hazard, but..... Let me keep all 5 of the Coopers! Sweet! I didn't even have to ask! 🙂

So the only tires I can find that they have in an aggressive A/T like the Cooper ATX3 are the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, and the Wildpeak A/T3. Sams said don't worry if the Wranglers are a little more ($20/ea more), that they will take care of it.

So now, I'm not sure which to get, as they both have good reviews, and I have never owned them! What to do, what to do?!

I asked on FB which tire people prefer a while ago. Every single one of them that responded, say Duratracs. LOL

The online deal is a bust, as they only give me the pick up in store option for both tires, and want me to pay for them right there & then. That's not happening. Called the store, and they left for the day already. LOL

Paypal says they the only way they can help is if I file a dispute, and that can take 3 weeks or longer, before I get my funds back. Told them no, I can't do that. They said that Discount tire has my card #, and is the only way they could have hit me up again, unless I gave them the Okay to make another purchase, which I certainly did not. Discount tire said they do not have my card #, so they can't help on the 2nd transaction, and Paypal has to take care of it.

So all this has got me frustrated beyond belief. I wanted a tire, they sold me a tire they never had, then charged me double for nothing? Now I have spent 3 hours dealing with them all, and nothing accomplished. Still short the funds, and even more upset then I was 3 hours ago. There should be a Law that online retailers can't sell something they do not have, and can't take your $$ until it ships. I know some places do that, but obviously, not everybody does. Meanwhile, no spare tire.

Only thing I can do is swap the 35's off the other rig, and use them on this rig for now. Amazing what 1 simple flat tire can do to my life. LOL

Deep breaths, slowly breath in and out while counting to five.

You can't go wrong with Goodyear or Coopers. I would also immediately file a dispute through PayPal, they owe you a lot of money. If they don't take care of it promptly, then file a dispute with your CC before its too late.

I was just at a Discount Tire store yesterday buying new tires for the boat trailer. They wouldn't swap out my 18 year old spare for one of the 10 year old tires they just dismounted. They said its a liability, but letting me have a 18 year old spare isn't because they didn't touch it. The old trailer tires look like they are about a year old, but can't trust them anymore. They have done the same thing numerous times for me in the past, just didn't air up the 10 year old tire. Common sense among employees is no longer allowed at chain tire stores. I stopped by a service station I have had smog cars for me in the past on the way home and they swapped it out for free.

More numerous calls with Discount tire & Paypal.

I was able to talk to the customer care center with discount. I was speaking to sales before, but had no clue I was. This guy was better to talk with, and he "Seemed" like he cared. That's his job I guess. Anyways, he is working with their paypal team in house, and trying to get to the bottom of the problems here. He wants me to wait until tomorrow to see if a refund actually happens. Okay, I get that, all good by me. If that happens, I call paypal back, and they will lift the 2nd transaction from my account, but only then will they do that. They explained that if they go ahead and remove that 2nd transaction now, Discount tire will automatically charge me a 3rd time, thinking a mistake happened with the charge. We don't want that. Nope, not at all!

I am giving them until tomorrow afternoon for the refund to appear in my account. Discount rep said he will follow up with me, and in the meantime, do his own store search for the tire. Said that sometimes they have them, and the normal online sales people can't get them, but he can. I tell you what, if your heads aren't spinning after reading all this, my head is spinning enough for all of you! 🤣

Woosa! Right Brian?

Update: Awoke to see the original Purchase was refunded back to my card. Half way there! Now to deal with the 2nd bogus purchase.

I got my Cooper AT3s for my raptor from simple tire recently as they were the only ones with 315/75r17 in stock in the AT3. My supplier for my business couldn't get them so I paid up and ordered online.

When I got them 2 are definitely blems. Weird pattern on one of the outside sidewalls and another had part of the white letter literally "painted" on. When I called up for replacements they said they didn't have any more to offer but I could return them for a full refund. Besides that I was told to pound sand, no discount could be given if I kept the tires. Put probably 5k miles on them with no issues but it bothers me every time I clean the truck.

This supply/ demand / people not working has it all jacked up. It's everywhere, right now and hopefully things can smooth out soon. I've installed the wild peak at3s and ran duratracs before. Both are really good options.

I really grew to like these Dicoverer's. They handle like a good street tire does.

They still have good A/T traction, and are silent, compared to others ran on this rig. Going to be a shame to replace them.

I know Covid has touched everything, and has disrupted peoples lives in many ways, I never thought of. For that matter, in ways Uncle Sam never thought of either.

It has most deffo impacted my line of work. Been rough, and my hope for all, is that we will get through it eventually. 💪🤓👍

Cooper is now owned by Goodyear. Both brands are not what they used to be. I think they are all outsourcing their manufacturing to China.

Even my Maxxis Razr's are made in China.

Guess Goodyear is prioritizing and put their label above cooper for some styles. I know cooper has a factory in Arkansas, and one of our long term members here had worked there. Wonder if that place is still operating or not?

Dealing with the same issue for roofing material. Only the best sellers are being made currently. They all cut their product lines down by 2/3. It's hard to tell people the color and make they want, is not available, and no idea when they will be.

Both sets of my Cooper AT3s have made in USA right on them

Back