• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Pugly

The Good, The Bad, & the Pugly :D

1994 Purple Explorer XLT 4wd

I decided to have a registry for my "Other" rig so I can post things done and have a reference for it.

Pretty much stock drive train.

4.0 OHV-A4ld-1354e.
D35 front 4:56 Yukon gears, Aussie Locker.
2nd gen disc 8.8 rear 4:56 gears, Spartan Locker.

Front C-Clip eliminator Mod.

Slight lift with 2" Skyjacker coils & rear F-150 hybrid leaf packs.

3" PA body lift
Helpful thread with pics for the front body mounts
Pics of front body lift mounts

Swapped to manual hubs.
Double U-joint XJ steering shaft.

35" x 12.5" x 15" BFG A/T's mounted on 15x8.5 alum wheels - full size matching spare.

Shocks:
Front Rancho 9000xl
Rear Rancho 9000xl
Duff Stabilizer shock.

Sway bar quick disconnects front & rear.
Custom tube sliders w/kickouts

22" LED light bar.
18w amber fog Led pods.
55w rock lights--2 front--1 rear over diff.
8 LED pods for rocker lights.

Full brush guard.
2.5" Fender Flares.

TTB Diff guard & Skid plate.

Custom roof rack with 48" Extreme Hi-Lift jack.

Flipped Tow hitch & front hooks for tow points.

Cobra19 CB & rear hatch mounted firestick antenna.
Rear view HD camera.
JVC DVD/CD/MP3 Head unit with 7" HD Monitor.
Sony 6.5" front speakers.
Rockford Fosgate 5.25" component rear speakers.
8" JL Audio sub in 2001 enclosure with 500w amp mounted on enclosure.

Custom made center console with CB/Rear view color monitor/2-12v outlets/ in-out temp display. D cell Maglite mounted on cargo panel. Truck bed liner on cargo floor.

'99 Eddie Bauer Front Leather buckets.
'94 Limited Rear leather split bench.

Pugsnewshoes_zpsf609e609.jpg

puglynewbrushguard1.jpg

94frontpassprofile.jpg

puglyrti2.jpg

puglyrearrti1.jpg

puglyrti1.jpg

aftermathmudbath2.jpg

puglysnewseats.jpg

cbantbracket.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Didn't think of that stuff. I have used Plastidip spray, & Rustoleum plastic spray before. I think Eastwood sells it too. Never heard of ALSA. Since I will be doing 5 wheel rotations, the paint is not really a product I want to use tho.

Might just use a coat of petroleum jelly to be honest. It wipes right off of metal with a rag fairly easy. I use it when spray painting epoxy, on big sewer drain pipe flanges. After the epoxy is cured, we simply cut the edge with a razor, and wipe off the jelly. OSHA demands raw steel between gaskets.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
The vinyl type coatings are made to peel off just like a pin stripe, a hair dryer is about all that is needed. Only on bare raw surfaces does it get hard to remove, I was told not to use it on a dead paint surface. It will peel off of a waxed surface easily, but some will hold strong onto raw porous surfaces. You want that sometimes, but not always.

The Plastidip spray, & Rustoleum plastic spray are probably the most feasible choices for a longer term protection, the petroleum jelly would get worn off over time.

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Just realized I have a few cans of high gloss clear plastidip. That will work. Can put it on the back side as well. These wheels have a factory clear on them, and the jelly would probably mess them up, now that I think about it. Wax would be the best, as far as being harmless, but no sense spending more, when I have something that will work.

Thanks for the ideas Don.

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
Yeah the nice aluminum wheels are worth saving if we can.

The clear on my aftermarket 18's died early from water getting behind it, so I was going to paint them with a grey metallic vinyl. I changed my mind when I found some nice forged 17's so the 18's will be scrap soon.

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
The decision to drop down to 33" tires turned out to be a good one.

These tires are extremely quiet, and they handle like a street tire. They are not a harsh ride either, which my back appreciates.

Pugly went across state, and up & over some long extreme grades. It only had to downshift one time, and that was only momentary.

The speedo is off a few mph now. Reads about 3 too high according to the GPS. I should have the right gear for the VSS, and will swap it out.

The nitty gritty:

The rigs driveline: 4.0L OHV / A4LD/ 1354 / 4.56 axle gearing

35" tires = 2000 rip-ums @65 mph. 2300 rip-ums @70mph

33" tires = 2300 rip-ums @65 mph. 2600 rip-ums @70mph

Even with the higher rip-ums, the MPG improved by 50 miles to the tank. The engine Load wasn't as high, and no increase in temps over a 500 mile trip.

Now to wait & see how these Coopers wear with use.