Return from Truckhaven OCT 2009 | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from Truckhaven OCT 2009

^-- ahaha nice :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

10-28-09032.jpg

Hi Guys!

Ok, our trip out was a blast. I will try to get the memorable things in order as they occured

We arrived out at truckhaven about 7:15 or so to see Rick and Tom working on Tom's RV
I walked up to Rick, gave him a big hug and said"we're here"

He said, "I'm glad you made it, so who are you anyway"

HA ha
We introduced ourselves, Rick led me around introducing us to the crowd, while I tried to remember the names. The welcome was very confusing, as I tried my darndest to remember names and such.

A short while later Steve brought a guy named Kevin over to talk to us. Just then I remembered seeing a truck on the highway with 4 wheel offroad logos all over it.
Excitedly I said " Hey Rick, we saw a Toyota with magazine logos all over it"

Kevin asked if I was sure it wasn't a Suzuki. I said, "well, yeah I guess it could have been" He asked" what color was it? I said, I think it was dark grey"
He asked " Kind of like that one right over there?"

OK, yeah, kinda like that one

I felt kind of dumb for a minute. :D

We got our stuff set up, and Froader asked if we were up for a night wheeling thing.
On the way out of camp I asked Colin if this was pretty hairy stuff. He looked over his shoulder and calmly said " we're gonna scare the s--t outta you guys"

So, we went out there and they did. Night wheeling in this area is awesome.

Ok, first night at camp, and I am too pooped to keep up with the celebratory pace of Dannyboy. I really wanted to bend elbows for a while with you Danny, but this old guy just wasn't quite there.

So, Cyber and I took care of the bottle Saturday.
I cannot really comment any more about the wheeling, which has not already been said. It is awesome in truckhaven. you can go around and meet right back up, get lost, do whatever. There isn't enough lifetime to see all of the driveable wash lines.

Meeting all you guys was a true positive experience for me, and I feel wiser after a little of all of the new influence. I also have an entirely different attitude about California. It is too large of a state for stereotyping, that is for sure. I do not remember a more friendly atmosphere, than I experienced in the palm desert.

OK,
After a round of heavy tequila drinking, do not go for a night time walk in the desert without a flashlight. No matter how good the idea sounds at the time. The terrain is deceiving, and when you reach out for something to break your fall , well, they have these things there

10-28-09072.jpg

Anyway--Froader took quite a few pictures, here they are

http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff269/jtsmith1362/truckhaven 2009/?start=0

A few of my favorites

10-28-09018.jpg

10-28-09028.jpg

RJ contemplating the ledge Matt just made

10-28-09034.jpg

Whattheheck

10-28-09035.jpg

10-28-09037.jpg

Jims99 really did a good job out there! :D

10-28-09040.jpg

Cybergasm posing for the **** mag

10-28-09041.jpg

Give er hell Stico-

10-28-09042.jpg

Mark did so well driving it scared me a little

10-28-09043.jpg

10-28-09060.jpg

The only one up CJ hill this time around.
10-28-09047.jpg

here is CJEexplorer after getting unstucked. He said he didn;t want to do that no more and I told him yeah he is right. The truck didn;t get hurt. Yet.

10-28-09081.jpg

we brought a little bit of truckhaven home with us. His name is Clayton

So far he has devoured over a dozen crickets.

10-28-09085.jpg

Here is a very short video of him eating, only because I pushed the wrong button

th_10-28-09086.jpg

You guys, I admit it. I really dislike being so far away. I miss you all already--sniff

Great pictures! when did i miss this tequila walk:)

Where the hell did you get the Scorpin? I've never seen those out at T-haven:dunno:

Also watch yourself, you know the lighter the color the deadlier:(

Where the hell did you get the Scorpin? I've never seen those out at T-haven:dunno:

Also watch yourself, you know the lighter the color the deadlier:(

David alfaro and his companions were packing up when they noticed it in the shade of the camper tire. When we found it it was bright yellow, almost like a tennis ball. I wonder if it had just molted. Anyway, I used a stick to prod him out of the shade and he would dive right back.This happened several times. It was actually kind of funny to see. I think he is a harmless Giant Desert Hairy scorpion.

http://www.thebigzoo.com/Animals/Giant_Desert_Hairy_Scorpion.asp

At least I hope so. He looks just like the example. He stung a cricket real good, but it still wiggled for several minutes, until he ate it

I think this is a better pic in there then the one you posted...;)

Chubby Checker would be proud:salute:

10-28-09054.jpg

True, I just remember you going up that hill. We were behind you then. That is why I posted that one. My bad.

Froader took those pictures on my camera.

Any more flex and your truck would be a slinky. :D

Matt How did Sierra do anyway? She seems like such a great dog, it's always great when I see a rescue dog getting the royal treatment. Ali was acting like an overly concerned Mom, she's still not totally trusting Diva after she got attacked by a Pit Bull and thinks her fuse is a little shorter than normal. I knew they were buddies at first site.

Jon- What can I say man, I was disappointed, I've never had the chance to go ten rounds with a guy who has powedercoated a bottle of Crown Royal but I know how a day of traveling makes a guy feel. It was great to meet you and we'll catch up again on the other side.

Pictures by Joshua,Thought he took more.I didn't take one picture.:rolleyes:
Was going to sunday but we left.:thumbdwn::(
View from the plane
joshuasparksPICS016.jpg

One of my Favorite ones:D
joshuasparksPICS032.jpg

Look out below
joshuasparksPICS037.jpg

Joshua got to drive around three times,me panicing the hole way!!:p:
joshuasparksPICS033.jpg

And if you would like to go for a nice little ride with us!
th_joshuasparksPICS054.jpg

This is just to cute.Repost lol!!
th_joshuasparksPICS057.jpg

...You don't have far to go to bed, when you park at the campfire...:D

...And that dog and the video are too cool...:biggthump

Matt How did Sierra do anyway? She seems like such a great dog, it's always great when I see a rescue dog getting the royal treatment. Ali was acting like an overly concerned Mom, she's still not totally trusting Diva after she got attacked by a Pit Bull and thinks her fuse is a little shorter than normal. I knew they were buddies at first site.
You mean Savvanah ;) She did pretty well. It was a bit hot in the bed with no shade for her. I need to figure out a way to fix that here soon. She was dead tired Saturday night. Pretty much all day Sunday as well. She is back to her happy self now. Guess I would be to if I was also water skiing at Lake Havasu :rolleyes:

Any more pics/videos?

I "think" I saw people taking pics/video when I got the front left tire airborn.

Chris, you ever get the rest of those videos up? Looking for any from the van during the tow rig run.

~Mark

Posting this for JT. now don't everyone get any bright ideas from this :p:

Attachments

• IMAGE_00006.jpg
    IMAGE_00006.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,389

^^Notice who is up there giving his seal of approval?

That was a load. The wheeling, and drive home with the extra burden, is a testament to the quality of all that went into that truck.

You mean Savvanah ;) She did pretty well. It was a bit hot in the bed with no shade for her. I need to figure out a way to fix that here soon. She was dead tired Saturday night. Pretty much all day Sunday as well. She is back to her happy self now. Guess I would be to if I was also water skiing at Lake Havasu :rolleyes:

What about a Can Back or Soft topper canvas shell. Just leave the sides rolled up. I had one on a work truck years ago and it was bad azz. would toatally buy another. I thought about getting one for the 150.

Need some last names for the Magazine...Need them in the next hour if possiable..

Need

RJ: Robert ?
Maniak: Mark Strickland <correct?
Jimm99: Jim ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need some last names for the Magazine...Need them in the next hour if possiable..

Need

RJ: Robbie ?
Maniak: Mark Strickland <correct?
Jimm99: Jim ?

Jim Tyler

Back