RJ's B2 Build | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RJ's B2 Build

I started building my second RBV, a Bronco ii.

This thread is to post about and document the work done to the car, so it can help others that are building a b2 or ranger based vehicle. This is actually my second build thread about this rig, the first one was accidentally deleted.

I picked up this 1990 bronco ii in august of 2016. It's an automatic, 4x4, Eddie Bauer edition, that was already spray painted green when I bought it. But it had what I wanted, cruise control, factory a/c, electric Windows and locks, (although none that stuff worked, it was there for the fixin') and it was a fair price for a b2 with decent interior..... Almost none of the other ones on Craigslist had a good interior, or they wanted way too much money.

wp_ss_20171206_0005.png

So why build another 4x4 when i already have a built up explorer/Navajo?
Well this one just has a different vision for it. I don't plan for this one to be big and crazy and an all out dedicated trail rig. At least not for a few years. I want this car to be capable off road, but retain as much road manners as possible. Almost more like an overlanding vehicle. I want to be able to drive it long distances, use it for camping and mountain biking, and for four wheeling, but not something that needs a trailer.

So I want to keep the lift to a minimum, keep things relatively simple. Put some 33's, trim the fenders, some lockers, and just keep fine tuning everything as I go along.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The A4LD front pump seal is a POS, it should be staked in place. That fresh front pump seal is a sure sign of issues with the runout on that input shaft.
A4LD is only good when built right, by Ford or by a pro who knows these trans. It can be upgraded internally with 5r parts....but at the end of the day its still a A4LD
Better off with the M5OD-HD manual or even a C5 3speed auto if you can find one...

Thanks fortune!

I've read about the front pump and seal run-out and alignment issue. Which is why I'm not eager to keep this trans.

And bar n plate is what I wanted, which is why I got the b&m which claimed to be a "stacked" bar and plate design. Not a fan of tube and fin.

I had a C5 and sold it. I want overdrive. This is my daily driver and I want to drive it to the trails and back. Which is why I feel like the best piece of mind is to go three pedals.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The person I take my transmission issues to doesn't like tube and fin coolers. He has been in the business for 50+ years. He says the fluid travels through them too fast to cool much. The plate designs slow down the flow rate while going through the cooler, and hold more fluid. I have both on my 94 Explorer. After I added the Hayden plate cooler, it made a noticeable difference in lower overall temps. I also purchased a cheapo Ebay electric fan and mounted it to the outside of the plate cooler to be used while crawling that really helped.

A little Saturday wheelin'. No trans trouble. But my optima battery bit the dust. Almost lasted 10 years... Almost.

IMG_0978.jpg

Yep, front pump seal is what finally killed my A4LD. Figured if I'm going to go through the trouble of dropping it I should put something better in so I'm not dropping it again 6 months later.

Three pedal BII's are a riot.

Yep, front pump seal is what finally killed my A4LD. Figured if I'm going to go through the trouble of dropping it I should put something better in so I'm not dropping it again 6 months later.

Three pedal BII's are a riot.

As of now, I actually have another spare A4LD at the house. But I don't want to go through the work of installing it. And I don't want to install the M5OD until I regear it and rebuild it. So for now, I do nothing.

Nothing new on the car. Still haven't done anything except collect more parts for it. Sorry, it's been hot, I've been lazy. And I have a health condition I can blame it on :D

But why work on it when you can wheel it just as it is? That's been one of my focuses from the start, to keep it in running and driving condition while I build it. I want to try to always keep it on it's wheels and only on jack stands for a few days at a time.

Went to big bear today. Ran gold mt, little John bull, and the squeeze. Car did great. Gold mt was more difficult than I had remembered. But it was perfect for a car like mine. Not many photos, cause I was driving. It just rained there yesterday, so it was a little muddy.

IMG_20180818_101158.jpg

IMG_20180818_170218.jpg

IMG_20180818_125751.jpg

Heck yeah!! My goal has been to drive and build too, the BII is rarely down for any long periods of time..

I've been to big bear with my BII also! You so lucky. Rain = yes please!
Keep it up, wheeling is what a Bronco does best
And in front of an FJ!! I know that feeling.........

A stock FJ, two xterras, and an sas Pathfinder. And some Jeep's. The FJ did well, just needs some lift to get the belly higher.

There's a Truckhaven trip planned in November. I'm hoping to make it to that. I have a short list of things I want to get done before then. So I better start getting to it.

Also would like to get back to big bear before then too.

I've had this magnaflow muffler sitting around the house for years. So today I decided to put it to use and get it installed on the bronco along with new piping. I don't like it. Too much cabin noise.

I think I'll replace it with a dynomax super turbo. But not right now because $$

IMG_20181008_161739.jpg

Does it sound good outside the car? Because having a good sounding muffler is not about the inside :p

Does it sound good outside the car? Because having a good sounding muffler is not about the inside :p

It doesn't sound too great outside either.
But my engine feels a little better with the new exhaust.

You will get used to it. I have the same muffler with a single high-flow cat and like the sound. I can hear what the engine is doing. Where does your exhaust terminate? If in front of the back wheels, that might be why its so loud.

You will get used to it. I have the same muffler with a single high-flow cat and like the sound. I can hear what the engine is doing. Where does your exhaust terminate? If in front of the back wheels, that might be why its so loud.

Exhaust is routed all the way to the back. Coming out the side behind the tire.

I already ordered a dynomax super turbo. I think it will be just right.

Changed my magnaflow to a dynomax. Cut the noise down a little bit, not as quiet as I was expecting. But I think it's gonna work out good. It's not as loud as the magnaflow, still has that aftermarket exhaust sound, as long as it doesn't drone I'll be happy. The muffler I have is only the 14" case, with 2.5" piping from the cat to the rear. I could've made it even quieter if I bought a larger case muffler. Like the 20" one. But based on the reviews I was figuring this muffler would be pretty quiet. And it's not. But not too loud.

IMG_20181011_113306.jpg

IMG_20181011_125300.jpg

IMG_20181011_125300.jpg

I also put an intake on to give the engine a little more growl.

And after a few days of the New exhaust, I have to say I really like. Just the right volume and sounds good and deep.

IMG_20181015_115018.jpg

That engine bay looks almost as dirty as your old one...:laugh:

That engine bay looks almost as dirty as your old one...:laugh:

It's not. Nothing's as dirty as my old one.
This one will clean up easily. But why clean before Truckhaven?

With Truckhaven coming up, I spent some time this week finishing a project that I've put off for over a year. And with no time to spare, I got my rear bumper installed, ready for Truckhaven tomorrow.

Bought this bumper summer of 17' and hadn't messed with it until now. It was cut off of a prerunner explorer, so it didn't have any mounts. They wouldn't work on a B2 anyways.

Cut down the old brackets

IMG_20181106_150212.jpg

Made some plates

IMG_20181106_154128.jpg

Mocked it up

IMG_20181106_154553.jpg

Some brackets and welding
IMG_20181107_165237.jpg

All together
IMG_20181108_113654.jpg

IMG_20181108_113647.jpg

It may not seem like a lot. But it took me forever to do.

Not sure why some of the photos are blurry. They're clear on my phone.

Back