Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since I have the axle in-hand finally... I guess I can start my thread.

I bought this axle about a month ago from a guy in OR and finally made it around to picking it up yesterday. I watched as he actually took the axle out from under the truck. It's pretty clean.

1983 Jeep Wagoneer LP D44

The plans:
Rubicon Express leaf springs (unless someone suggests otherwise)
4.88s
Detroit

Then SOA the rear, add a locker, and 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 adapters (I heard they make them). So far I am thinking about going 35/36s BFGs or IROKs.

So.... any suggestions?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7,029
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 7,071
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 7,016

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tom - If you're out messing around in your garage this weekend can you get some measurements of your box? I would sort of like to mock it up and make sure I can use it prior to buying one.

B2Dude and I went to the JY today. All I could really find is an 80's Dodge box. Hoping I don't have to go that route. The JY had about eleventy bajillion of them. No Ford ones, no FJ ones. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,099

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I have some more parts to show off. :cool:

Spidertrax wheels adapters, Sky Manufacturing hi-steer arms, and TREs. Going to pull a '79 Bronco box in the morning. That should be all I need to get this thing started. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,036
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,047
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,048

OKay, I've aquired two sets of wheels. Some bling American Racing Bajas and some not so bling Rock Crawlers. I am leaning towards the bling, but may use the Rock Crawlers for an optional set of tires.. or something. What do you think?

Attachments

• nobling.jpg
    nobling.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,047
  • bling.jpg
    bling.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,042

im liking the bling

section525 said:
OKay, I've aquired two sets of wheels. Some bling American Racing Bajas and some not so bling Rock Crawlers. I am leaning towards the bling, but may use the Rock Crawlers for an optional set of tires.. or something. What do you think?

Tough call,
IF you have the room for two sets of tires and IF this is your daily driver, why not have both? Put some A/T's on the blingers for daily driving then whatever off roading tire you will use on the black crawlers ;)

I agree with DB 1. I like the bajas for the look on the street. Use both if possible.

Agree with DB. Throw something like some Cooper S/T's on the blings and some Boggers on the steelies.

I already have X terrains coming on Friday. So maybe some BFG ATs??

section525 said:
I already have X terrains coming on Friday. So maybe some BFG ATs??

BFG AT's are a good tireand if you got the money for them then go for it. You could probably find something cheaper in an AT though if your not concerned about it.

Bling is better, honestly I have wheeled with my chrome rims for years and never really hit them on any rocks, 8" rims with a 12.5 tire protects them pretty well, plus those 589's are tough rims.

I have black mods for my 35's and they look cool too but the chrome/polished is just too cool....plus you already have them!

Lookin' good section! What lug pattern will you be using and what was the part number for those adapters?

As far as the rims, I gotta go with the Chromies, they just look good! The rockcrawlers would be the perfect trail tire though.

Almost LIVE webcam! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,013
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 981
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 996
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 990

Now why would you start that half way in and out of your garage :confused:

You know it's knot going to be done today, but sense your garge door is going to be stuck open for awile PM me you address. I need a new Craftsman drill press :p

It will be rolling here in a minute stic. I'll send you my address if it's not on it's wheels by midnight. :D

:cool:

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 5,276
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,779

Damn, there's just something about a pic with sparks flying. Lookin Good

Ok this not fair! :mad:

Your going to beat me, and I have a 6 week head start. :banghead:

It sucks not having your own garage :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back