Return from Truckhaven first run fall '08 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from Truckhaven first run fall '08

For those of wondering, I just made it home.. I made decent time.. 6 to 6.5 hours to get home. Gas mileage on the way home was 14ish.. I was trying to get home while it was still Sunday.

Ill post stories and videos/pics in the morning..

~Mark
Posted via Mobile Device

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad you made it home with no problems or crazy misfortune stories :thumbsup:

...:scratch:...Is this a new Extreme Sport??

..:eek:..."Ok, Gas It Dan"...:p:

Copy2ofP1010030.jpg

...:scratch:...Is this a new Extreme Sport??

..:eek:..."Ok, Gas It Dan"...:p:
I saw it on a Japanese game show, so I wanted to try it. It's called Penguin Team Wheel Fling. I was able to stay on for the 8 seconds. :)

Ted, I got your message this morning. My phone was dead over the weekend so it came through today. I'll call you tonight and we can schedule a time to get you the parts, which include a tire and a little box with a saw and some putty maybe from Dan's house. Matt couldn't get the gears from Bill in time, but I imagine that they would be cheap enough to ship.

What is on the back of that kids shirt?
:frospecta

Colin is just lucky that I didn't have a selectable rear locker, I would have spun him like a break dancer.

i wanted to get a ride in your explorer for sure. Want to see how the rear setup feels since im going to be running something similar.

i wanted to get a ride in your explorer for sure. Want to see how the rear setup feels since im going to be running something similar.

It's down by glamis. Just bring your intake and a starter solenoid and a hack saw for the tongue lock and you should be able to take it for a spin. :p: :D

...Cool, Maniak should have sent a couple shirts too...:scratch:

..Danny, how did the new setup on your truck workout and I'm sure you liked the new height..Also, Did Dustin get all his new parts on??

...Cool, Maniak should have sent a couple shirts too...:scratch:
Yea.. I now.. I forgot your shirts, and my beer (didn't need the beer. the night runs were fun and I was pooped by the time I got back to camp anyway)...

I'm converting the videos right now to so I can put them on youtube..

I got away pretty much unscathed.. I got some new rash on the drivers rear on the Friday Night run (just missed the rear side window). I then got some more rash just in front/lower on the same side of the truck the next night when I went under one of the arches. Big thanks to Winter for spotting me through that.. It was a tight fit (spare is on the roof)..

My new shocks/mounts worked great.. When just "slow wheeling" I still had all kinds of shock travel.. Once going faster etc I found out my bump stops are the fender. The tire travels into the fender opening and hits the flat part under the airbox and under the fluid bottles.

The Sunday curse still exists.. This time it was Brian's (Bkenny sp?) He started dumping trans fluid from what looks like possibly the rear seal on the 700r4. I pulled him from the gas domes back to camp.. It was pretty uneventful except for the few times that we ended up with a bunch of slack as we had to go down then up a hill. Towing down the flat or even down sr 86 (I think its highway 86) was easy.. 2wd low, 4th gear, torque converter locked with the cruise control set at 42ish with Froader bringing up the rear to block traffic as we made a left onto n. Marina.

k.. Enough rambling.. I'm going to start uploading the vids to youtube.. Once they are available I'll post the link..

~Mark

Had a great time out there and met a few new faces from the board. I had a couple electrical issues, more like computer issues I guess. On our way out for the Saturday run, the lights for the T-case ( I still have the elec. case) were flashing at me so I had to disconnect the batt. to reset the system and all was good. Not computer related but I had a problem with the tranny being starved of fluid on steep climbs so when we got to the waterfall area and I poured in some more ATF fluid and that did the trick:thumbsup:
My next issue was on the Sunday run out in Ocotillo Wells and happened at the same time Brian had an issue with his tranny. The factory alarm was going off and I couldn't turn it off with the key fob since the batteries were dead:rolleyes: Luckily dblake had a battery in his fob I could use so I could to turn it off otherwise I wouldn't have been able to start the truck again. Unfortunately, disconnecting the battery doesn't reset the alarm.
In any case, It was a full weekend of wheelin' although it seems the night runs are becoming better than the day runs. I don't know if anyone else feels the same but we always seem to gravitate to the same areas. They are fun places but I liked the days when we would go wander aimlessly and see what we could find...just my take;)
Now to tear into the truck:D

Oh, i brought my camera but forgot to put it in the truck on the runs so no pics or vid from me:thumbdwn:

In any case, It was a full weekend of wheelin' although it seems the night runs are becoming better than the day runs. I don't know if anyone else feels the same but we always seem to gravitate to the same areas. They are fun places but I liked the days when we would go wander aimlessly and see what we could find...just my take;)
I agree. Next time (if the group is as big) we'll have to split into groups of 3-4 and get back to doing that again.

More wondering would be good:thumbsup: Sometimes I think we found everything out there, and other times we find new things. We need start doing mapping runs. All these years out there, and it's all just in our heads, and some on gps:rolleyes:

Got the 1st two vids up.. Both are RJ vids..

~Mark

So I just found out T-max got bought up by Westin, and they are clearing out all there inventory. So they don't have any solenoids:mad: Anyone know if any other winchs that use a 500 amp solenoid?:(

I didn't get many pics (I filled the camera up with with RJ videos and video of Dannyboy having an issue getting off the trailer..

2978104395_fb7c3fce89_b.jpg

pumpkin patch
2978264157_e1b4c677d5_b.jpg

Damage from the weekend to our X...

Rock rash from Friday night and saturday night
2979123366_e9e6786394_b.jpg

new highlift jack damage.. Time for a new one (and to move it)
2978269725_9cc36422e9.jpg
2978273087_b18b345257.jpg

The wood from the false floor broke.. parts/tools oozed out :)
2979155084_94feea8579_b.jpg

Our new bump stop for the front.. I'm using all 6" of up travel on the shock to get the tire to hit the hoirzontal part of the fender that at the inside/top of the fenderwell.
2979132802_ac20ccdd6e.jpg

EDIT: Video of Dannyboy having issues getting off his trailer.

~Mark

I wasn't going to say anything about Danny's Trailer issue...Because I laughed my ass off when he did...and then Karma got me back later that night, with myself making the same mistake on mine during loading:rolleyes:

...Stic-o, wouldn't that be covered under warranty???

...Maniak, Nice truckhaven rash..:biggthump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back