the John Rock run 2011 (Truckhaven opening season run) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

the John Rock run 2011 (Truckhaven opening season run)

Status
Not open for further replies.
you fellas be safe and take lots of pictures to post on the forum to make us all jealous. wish i could make it, but ill be doing a bunch of traveling myself during that time. plus, i dont think my truck is bad ass enough to get out there and hang with you guys! its pretty much a "get me and my friend's bikes, snowboards, and various other sports equipment to where we need to go/camping and driving around the mountains rig right now. have fun everyone one, the summers almost over!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Congrats Colin...:biggthump

Lono...You never know until you try...We've had a number of stock vehicles come out and if there's enough vehicles we do a "not so Big Dog's run"..

....A lot of people also bring their trucks out just to meet and enjoy the experience with everyone and ride along in everyone's rig...One of the only places you can see such a variety of vehicles and set ups, meet a number of EF members, and have a really good time with a bunch of Enthusiast...;)

thanks for the encouragement t, i think def this time next year i will try to make a run out there and do some lightweight wheeling with the big dogs! make sure you post pics fellas!

Don't go there this time next year, or you'll melt! It's 114° out there right now! :)
October - April is the "season" for wheelin' the desert. We do at least one a month, so come on out.

OMG a little Froader!!

Congratulations to you both:chug:

I'm in.

I still havent fixed my front axle since the last TH, although ive been daily driving it like that for months

Trails?

I think Ted (Tbars4) is the only one here who knows me...I was on the recent trip that he and some other Ranger guys took to Death Valley in March.

Anyway, Ted told me about this run and it sounds very interesting. I might be able to come down there for a couple of days of desert 'wheeling.

What trails are there and what are they like? I'm running a mostly stock '99 4Runner, by that time I will most likely have BFG AT KO 32's (235/85/16's) (I'm running the same tire in a 235/75/16 now) and I do have a rear locker. I'm assuming that the trails here aren't any worse than Mengel Pass in Death Valley?

Also, where do you guys camp? Is it mostly BLM land out there, i.e. you can pretty much camp wherever you want? Or do you stay in a developed campsite you have to reserve ahead of time and pay for?

I've never been to that part of CA (never been South of LA) so I'm looking forward to seeing a different part of the country. I'll be coming a long distance (from Denver) so it will be a 2 day drive each way, but I'm still very interested. May want to get a 3rd day of 'wheeling and exploring in to make the long drive worthwhile.

Also, what other kinds of cool stuff is there around there? Old historical sites, ghost towns, cool things to see and do, etc.

...I've run my Ranger out there on 32's and open on both ends...You will do fine..;)

...There are easy trails leading up to and around most all of the obstacles which means, you can drive up with everybody to an obstacle, watch the action, and if you want to bypass it, you just take the lower trail around and meet up with everyone...

..Camping is primitive but you are also only a couple blocks away from a filling station/store..It's a small town desert atmosphere.

After driving back from Texas this weekend, I have a new respect for Rick and Mark coming out to T-haven all the way from Arizona:salute:

I saw this and talked with Rob.
We are both going to try and make it.
It was John's 1st TH run where we met and I'm gonna miss that guy.
I look fwd to wheelin with you guys again.

Just about have the Tow rig ready.. Just need to check/work on the rear brakes (drivers rear is sticking).. Its running much cooler and seems to have more power now. Maybe I'll make 10mpg this trip.. :)

Now its time for some upgrades to the X. I'm getting an early start this year.. I have almost 8 weeks to get some work done on it.

~Mark

After driving back from Texas this weekend, I have a new respect for Rick and Mark coming out to T-haven all the way from Arizona:salute:

Thanks, now you see why the extra 20 min IS a big deal when we have to go up to the mesa... Add another 45 to 60 if Box Canyon Rd. is closed and we have to drive to Indio and then backtrack:eek:

I saw this and talked with Rob.
We are both going to try and make it.
It was John's 1st TH run where we met and I'm gonna miss that guy.
I look fwd to wheelin with you guys again.

No way, you're going to make another run?? :D:chug: You need to get Charlie back out there, he and Char will have a great time!!

Thanks, now you see why the extra 20 min IS a big deal when we have to go up to the mesa... Add another 45 to 60 if Box Canyon Rd. is closed and we have to drive to Indio and then backtrack:eek:

It's funny coming that way I never realized your up on a hill really. I kept looking over to see the water of the Salton Sea and didn't see it till I passed it.

...and there is nothing out there, beyond indio besides the gas station at the summit.:(

So where are we camping now? Still Marina or has it changed to the bluff now? Either way, I can't wait for this trip! Got new shims and seals for my new front shocks, just need resi hoses and put them back together, and weld up one frame crack and i'm ready!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hopefully I'm gonna have a some new leafs for this trip! Either way I'm excited as all hell.

I give you the ones off your old sport....but I don't think they'll help you much...and I think they are tweeeked.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back