LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex

LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex SAS

Hey fellow Explorer enthusiasts!

Well I never thought I`d do it, but it`s time.
I originally thought I would go to a smaller rig one day but I`m going to beef up the Explorer instead. Since I already have a huge thread on my previous work I decided to start fresh.

If you would like to see my previous mods, you can navigate from my signature link, or click here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=523171#post523171

~

My plans are to install a D44 and 9-inch into the station wagon and run 35 inch tires. Hopefully she`ll still get in the garage, but if it don`t then oh well. During this I also have some body work to do.

Right now I have the rear end out, I took off the spare tire hanger and removed the muffler and rear most heat shield. (doors are off for body work)Next the gas tank comes out so I can prep the underside for rust protection, from the t-case back. In the meantime I am trying to sell some parts for cash.

First big decision is what gear ratio. The 4.10`s on 33s was nice, but I think I`d like a bit more torque than that so I`m thinking 4.88 or 5.13s.

Attachments

• prep.JPG
    prep.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 10,432

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There have been a few guys that said they needed a longer drive shaft after doing the SOA. I think most though,(mine included) still use the stock shaft. I guess it all depends on the truck.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

There have been a few guys that said they needed a longer drive shaft after doing the SOA. I think most though,(mine included) still use the stock shaft. I guess it all depends on the truck.

So really we won't know until we do it ... sounds like fun heh James? Knowing my luck I will need it.

I didnt need one with my superlift SOA, but as soon as I tried to drive it with the 9" under I had to extend it 2"

So it might be that the 9 inch is shorter or else mounts further back, I`ll just compare mine to my wife`s ex and find out fer shur.

I`m bummed out, I don`t understand, I ordered some Rancho shocks for my truck and when I went today the guy said for some reason Rancho recalled every RS9000 they had in stock and said don`t try to order more until further notice.
This happened just the other day apparently, for reasons I don`t know. A problem with them perhaps? Anyone hear of this?
Sucks because going with another shock means waiting weeks for them to come in.
:mad:

Okay, so I guess the ranchos were obsolete and being called back, now they are Rs9000SX or something like that, I`ll tell more about them later.
I have them though so I am in the process of getting them mounted.
I`ve done it before, but I can`t seem to jam the mounting post into the upper rear bushing, it`s just way too tight. I will probably just fab an easier way to mount back there..

okay, forget it I got them in with my vice and sockets, just kept squarshing them in and finally won.

:( Bad bad turn of events.
Was flexin her out a bit at the end of my street and when I got back I noticed a leak. The worst leak of all, my passenger side front axle shaft seal.
So I have to take all that stuff apart again next weekend and see what`s what.

Anyway, I`ll have my shocks all mounted tomorrow, but it`s a bittersweet victory.

:( Bad bad turn of events.
Was flexin her out a bit at the end of my street and when I got back I noticed a leak. The worst leak of all, my passenger side front axle shaft seal.

I had this same problem, just make sure the inner seals are fully seated and that should help solve the problem.

O man. what a bummer:(

Yeah maybe we didn`t press that side all the way in or something, I don`t know, but I`m going to pull it back in the garage today and start on it, what the hell, gotta be done.

No pics, the supermodel started peeing before the shoot!

Well, I got the front shock towers in, but I might pull them out and build higher. I only have 5 inches of up-travel on a 12.5 travel shock. I could have easily got another inch, I guess I`ll see if they bottom out. In reality it looks like about 5 inches could allow the tie rod to hit the trac bar while turned, so it might be okay, depends how easily the springs compress.
probably the easier fix for that would be cutting out the stock lower mounts and using a mounting stud on the side, yeah we`ll see.

Attachments

• front shock towers 2.JPG
    front shock towers 2.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 658
  • front shock towers 3.JPG
    front shock towers 3.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 692

My garage door is 83 inches high. the explorer fits with 3/4 of an inch to spare, that`s awesome.

Attachments

• fits in.JPG
    fits in.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 669

Make sure you keep it clean. If you try to get in the garage with mud in the tires you will tear the door down. :p:

I bet your shock placement is fine how it is. You will find that there is a lot more down travel then up travel. I have about 5-6 " of up travel on my 14" shock and I can't get it to travel up far enough for the shock to limit it. Also you don't want the weight of the axle to hang on the shock at full droop.

Ill second that, 1" isnt something to move your towers for, IMO its a good way to make sure your shock dosent bottom out.

I had to add my ungodly huge/ugly bumpstops because I easily maxed the shocks out at full compression and full droop

I have maybe 6" of up travel and 10" down, its been a long time since I measured but thats about what it comes out too.

Interesting colin, I had all but decided to pull them off and raise the mount point. Maybe I`ll run like that for a while and see.

James t that would be funny, guess I gotta shake the mud loose before coming home :D

Fixed the leak, all I can figure is the seal went in crooked then straightened out but stayed a little bent? Whatever, no leaks now!

I need a bigger hill to flex on, but nothing is binding up or pulling too tight so far.

Attachments

• 1st flex 1.JPG
    1st flex 1.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 647
  • 1st flex 2.JPG
    1st flex 2.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 658
  • 1st flex 4.JPG
    1st flex 4.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 812
  • 1st flex 5.JPG
    1st flex 5.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 638

Next I want to get the front end of the frame reinforced to reduce the frame flex and get a front receiver hitch on for a receiver style winch.
Getting rid of the stock radius arm mount and having my mount so far back has gotten rid of some forward frame reinforcement, I don`t remember seeing my frame flex so much. (see front end pic).

I have named my front hitch "the shovel"

I would say try and get it as close to the body as possible, caus mine gets dug in real bad in some places.

Back