Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread | Page 158 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A little plug for @RockRanger .

I had to straddle a fairly large rock with the rear diff. It slid smoothly over, so smooth I had to get out to look at the scrape marks. I have his ramp welded to the bottom of the 8.8. The ramp is a series of plasma cut plates you fit onto the bottom of the 8.8 in front of the ledge. It creates a nice smooth bottom to the diff, and adds about an inch of metal, taking away one of the few issues of this diff.

The diff ramp mod is on this page of my build thread

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Went for a trail run up the left fork of Vock Canyon. It's the next canyon to the north, less than a mile away. I've been up there before, but only as far as Cherum Springs.

The springs are in a direct line to my well and according to the hippie well dowsing dude who set the well pump for me, my well is from that same underground river.

Anyway, the plan was to see how far the trail goes, because I have some maps that show it coming back down a BLM road to Shadow Canyon, the Canyon to the south of Falcon Valley where my property is located. The maps show I can make a loop, which would be a fun couple hours. The trail is technical, not really challenging, but is off camber in places with a few medium sized rock gardens to traverse and the same as most mountain trails around here, tight with brush and low hanging trees. About a 1/2 mile before the springs, you go into a pine forest, very scenic. I continued on past Cherum Springs and the trail actually gets easier. It splits about a mile past the springs. Westerly is supposed to go up to Cherum Peak, which is at 7,000' elevation. East should drop down into Shadow Canyon. Took the east fork, trail winds steeply downhill, but isn't difficult. In approximately two miles, the trail T's with a decent, but very steep east and west orientated road. The road has a locked gate to the west, and I can see solar panels, a few shipping containers and a small house up on top of that ridge. Drive another mile and come to another locked gate with no trespassing signs in the uphill side of the gate. I'm looking at BLM and US topo maps that show this is a forest road. Even if it's private property, they have no right to install a locked gate on a federal easement/access to BLM land road. I know I'm maybe three miles from Stockton Hill Rd, and very annoyed. I hang out for maybe ten minutes, hoping someone from up at the house might come down and see what this trespasser (me) is doing so I can get them to let me out. Nope. I could see I could get around the gate, but would be off the trail and really trespassing, and I had no idea if I would come across another locked gate. I ended up turning around and backtracking to Vock Canyon. I marked the gate location on my GPS so I can complain to the BLM. Maybe they will do something about it, but it's doubtful. I'm doubtful because there is a through road that ends up near the town of Chloride on the other side of the Cerbats in a canyon to the south of mine. One of the few roads through the mountains. There is a designated forest road with a trail number that had been blocked for several years by a tall solid gate wrapped in barb wire with no trespassing signs all over. The property behind the illegal gate is owned by a rich dude with a private sportsmans gun club. The BLM ordered him to keep access open, and he ignored them. They obviously haven't pushed it because the gates still there. There are a few other old mine roads through the mountains that are either impassable or gated, or both. I have a map of the area from 1944 that shows them as designated roads. I also have a 2020 US topo map that shows the same roads.

View from about 6,000' up the mountain, about 1,500' higher than my property.
20230608_155610.jpg

20230608_155640.jpg

A little farther up the trail, I saw the peaks behind my property come into view. Hard to see in my phone pic, but its the peak before the dark brown peak in the background.
20230608_160613.jpg

Dynamite the gate? Since this is lawless land just take matters into your own hands lol lol kidding of course

Looks like fun! So glad to see you out there enjoying it!

RV started being gutless in little spurts, usually after a deceleration or half way up a grade. Didn't throw a CEL, but when I ran the codes it had a "Precode" of the driver side bank O2 sensor. I just replaced them both a little over the one year warranty from Denso. I reset the codes and it ran fine for a few hours, then would start up again. It's real obvious that something isn't right when it happens, as that 8.1 usually pulls real good for a heavy coach. I pulled the engine cover (doghouse) and looked over all the wiring and it all looks good. The sensors are precatalytic converters so its not a bad cat. Maybe I just got a bad sensor. I ordered two more to have a spare and they arrived today. It's only a few minute job, they are on the exhaust just past the manifolds and easy to access from below. I'm trying to think it it's not the sensor, then its; bad wiring, leaking injectors, clogged air filter (not), bad PCM, or ?. This coach has thrown random engine codes from time to time. They usually clear and cause no issues. I figure when I register it in Arizona with no smog laws, I will be sending the PCM and TCM to a RV based tuner that can flash them and add a lot of power. 60HP and 60-80 pounds of torque, plus claimed better fuel economy for the engine, change shift points and increase line pressure for the Allison trans. It already has 4" true dual exhaust, so it should really wake it up. If the PCM is what's been causing the codes, that should take care of that.

My code reader has the ability to monitor data in real time so next trip I will set it up to see what's going on, if anything.

Hope everything works out on that 8.1...I loved the one I had in my old 2001 2500 HD. Beast of a motor for it being gas. I'm actually looking for a Suburban with the 8.1 right now! Did you know, Whipple used to make a supercharger for that motor? :burnout:

;)

Hope everything works out on that 8.1...I loved the one I had in my old 2001 2500 HD. Beast of a motor for it being gas. I'm actually looking for a Suburban with the 8.1 right now! Did you know, Whipple used to make a supercharger for that motor? :burnout:

;)
If you're not in the least bit concerned about gas mileage, the 8.1 is a great puller. A supercharged RV would be a lot of fun. Could keep it at 70 MPH, blowing past the big rigs and diesel pusher coaches up grades.

Apparently they still make them. Twin screw supercharger, 600 HP, almost 700 pounds of torque. Might be able to break the dual tires loose.

$8,000 parts, figure the same or more for the custom install. I think I'll stick with my original plan with the tunes first. That would be some serious fun though.

This article explains the 8.1 fairly well. It's a old school big block. Very flat torque curve makes it a great puller.

My smaller and much lighter previous coach had a Ford V10. It never pulled like this one and all the torque seemed to be in the upper RPM's so you always had your foot stuffed to the floor.

My V10 is like your old MH. It's on the floor on hills and screaming a 4k+. Dragging the Ranger behind it, it's not helping my 7 mpg 😕

$8,000 parts, figure the same or more for the custom install. I think I'll stick with my original plan with the tunes first. That would be some serious fun though.
I first saw one listed for sale on eBay years ago (2004 I think) for $1,500 for the full kit. Wife wasn't for it at the time...
This article explains the 8.1 fairly well. It's a old school big block. Very flat torque curve makes it a great puller.

My smaller and much lighter previous coach had a Ford V10. It never pulled like this one and all the torque seemed to be in the upper RPM's so you always had your foot stuffed to the floor.
Great article, though the only issues I ever had with my truck was the broken exhaust manifold bolts. It would pop one of the rears about every 8-10 months. They weren't too bad to reach on the pass side and were never hard to spin out. I still have 3 spares in my tool box!

And you're absolutely spot-on with your comparison with the V10. The Triton V10 is a happy, revvy little motor compared to the 8.1, and does not like to pull at low rpms. Our 31' Class C will run 75-80 mph all day long with the V10 but you have to stay in the lower gears just to get there! I think I actually got better mileage out of the 8.1 pulling a trailer and race car than I do with our motorhome, but it's not a true comparison.

I used to get 11.5-12 mpgs pulling a trailer at slightly above hwy speeds ;) and 13-14 mpgs on the hwy w/ the cruise on at 75 mph and no trailer with the 8.1. In the motorhome, best I've gotten is 10.5 mpg on the hwy at about 65 mph (I think that was fluke). Most of the time I'm btwn 7-8 mpg.

And the V10 is pretty well known to throw a spark plug out of the head once in awhile. I'd rather replace exhaust manifold bolts...

I've never attempted to check mileage with RV's. There is really no point. Gas gage gets below 1/4, and I fill it back up.

See, now I just checked. Uses about 50 gallons to drive 350 miles. Under 7 MPG.

Last trip I noticed my on-board air compressor was cutting out at about 75 PSI when it should be cutting out around 125-150. It's an old 12-volt Puma that is still going strong. I shopped around for pressure switches, but before I purchased any I decided to see if I could figure out what's wrong with it. It has a plastic box over the switch and wiring. After removing that, I noticed it was full of dirt. I knocked on it to get most of the dirt out, then blasted it with some electronic cleaner spray. I also noticed on the inside of the plastic cover, it shows a wiring diagram, and the two adjustment screws. I never knew it was adjustable. I adjusted the cut-out screw down to just before the spring locked up and tested it. It ran up to 140 PSI, and shut off, then started back up again at 90 PSI. Did that a few times to make sure it was consistent, then put it all back together.

I noticed the plug I put in the power cord to the battery a few years ago was cooked. It gets hot at the plug when its running for over a minute, and it takes longer than that to build to max pressure. I built a new set of 10-gauge wire with no plug and new copper terminals, and ran it again. No more warm wiring. Outstanding, fixed it without spending a dime. I like it when that happens.

If you're not in the least bit concerned about gas mileage, the 8.1 is a great puller. A supercharged RV would be a lot of fun. Could keep it at 70 MPH, blowing past the big rigs and diesel pusher coaches up grades.

Apparently they still make them. Twin screw supercharger, 600 HP, almost 700 pounds of torque. Might be able to break the dual tires loose.

If you supercharge your RV, will you be putting a rear spoiler and racing stripes on it, to warn the other drivers JK LOL And 'happy anniversary' to your SAS Build thread, it's 10 years since you started it. Must be a labor of love!

Went for a trail run up the left fork of Vock Canyon. It's the next canyon to the north, less than a mile away. I've been up there before, but only as far as Cherum Springs.

The springs are in a direct line to my well and according to the hippie well dowsing dude who set the well pump for me, my well is from that same underground river.

Anyway, the plan was to see how far the trail goes, because I have some maps that show it coming back down a BLM road to Shadow Canyon, the Canyon to the south of Falcon Valley where my property is located. The maps show I can make a loop, which would be a fun couple hours. The trail is technical, not really challenging, but is off camber in places with a few medium sized rock gardens to traverse and the same as most mountain trails around here, tight with brush and low hanging trees. About a 1/2 mile before the springs, you go into a pine forest, very scenic. I continued on past Cherum Springs and the trail actually gets easier. It splits about a mile past the springs. Westerly is supposed to go up to Cherum Peak, which is at 7,000' elevation. East should drop down into Shadow Canyon. Took the east fork, trail winds steeply downhill, but isn't difficult. In approximately two miles, the trail T's with a decent, but very steep east and west orientated road. The road has a locked gate to the west, and I can see solar panels, a few shipping containers and a small house up on top of that ridge. Drive another mile and come to another locked gate with no trespassing signs in the uphill side of the gate. I'm looking at BLM and US topo maps that show this is a forest road. Even if it's private property, they have no right to install a locked gate on a federal easement/access to BLM land road. I know I'm maybe three miles from Stockton Hill Rd, and very annoyed. I hang out for maybe ten minutes, hoping someone from up at the house might come down and see what this trespasser (me) is doing so I can get them to let me out. Nope. I could see I could get around the gate, but would be off the trail and really trespassing, and I had no idea if I would come across another locked gate. I ended up turning around and backtracking to Vock Canyon. I marked the gate location on my GPS so I can complain to the BLM. Maybe they will do something about it, but it's doubtful. I'm doubtful because there is a through road that ends up near the town of Chloride on the other side of the Cerbats in a canyon to the south of mine. One of the few roads through the mountains. There is a designated forest road with a trail number that had been blocked for several years by a tall solid gate wrapped in barb wire with no trespassing signs all over. The property behind the illegal gate is owned by a rich dude with a private sportsmans gun club. The BLM ordered him to keep access open, and he ignored them. They obviously haven't pushed it because the gates still there. There are a few other old mine roads through the mountains that are either impassable or gated, or both. I have a map of the area from 1944 that shows them as designated roads. I also have a 2020 US topo map that shows the same roads.

View from about 6,000' up the mountain, about 1,500' higher than my property.
View attachment 442462

View attachment 442463

A little farther up the trail, I saw the peaks behind my property come into view. Hard to see in my phone pic, but its the peak before the dark brown peak in the background.
View attachment 442464
Awesome expedition!

I haven't had a reoccurance of the big shudder, but have felt it "think" about it on a few stutter bumps. If I keep the air pressure at about 26 PSI, it seems to help.

I think it originates from the rear suspension and maybe partially from the bumper. The spare and gas cans are heavy, and hanging off the back. I can wiggle the spare and watch the frame shudder. The bumper is very solid, bolted in the OEM spot, and on the frame sides. The swing out tire and gas can carrier's are very solid with hardly any movement, even with lots of pressure in them. The frame is where the wiggle comes from.

The rear cross member is riveted to the end of the frame. The rivets allow movement. The way the cross member is designed, there are a few spots on each side top and bottom, fairly wide areas, that I can get to with the welder. I'll weld them up solid and see if it helps. All that flexing can't be good for the frame. I've looked the frame over very carefully and there are no cracks.

In a few weeks I'll be heading up to Idaho for a two week off road adventure with my buddy Mike. No idea where we are going but we are going to camp near a lake almost every evening for fishing.

I've been trying to borrow a trailer so I don't have to flat tow the Explorer behind my Silverado, or worse drive it, for about 12 hours. Keep striking out, but have one more shot when a friend gets back from Europe later in the month. I would buy one, but I can't justify the expense, wouldn't use it very often, and I don't have any more room here.

Dang I would let you borrow my trailer
Some of the rental places are only $60 a day for a trailer might call around?

My 88 required several frame repairs recently
All those years of flexing/wheeling and getting yanked out of ditches took its toll!!

My next build I think will be starting with a 93 ranger frame I plan to box it and add some additional crossmembers

Thanks, but you are even farther north than we're going, once we get to Idaho. $60 a day x 20 days is $1,200 bucks. U-haul is $264 for 2 days.

As for the frame, I've had to redo my rear shock cross bar twice. All the flexing cracked the DOM tube at the welds. Last time I gusseted it top to bottom inside the frame rails and it stopped. There is quite a bit of twisting and flexing of the rear half of the frame. The frame developed cracks on both sides at the forward leaf mounts. I plated and welded that a few years ago, and incorporated the plate into the rear slider gusset. Hasn't come back. I have the auxiliary battery and a air compressor and tank in the spare tire well, or I would X that entire area between the cross braces with DOM tube.

I'd let you borrow my trailer, but Central TX isn't really in your travel direction either.

Hey, since you’re going to be in ID, stop off and grab a project for the RV…

Ah, ok. It's a 2002 Chevy 2500 HD pickup w/ 8.1L & Allison trans that includes a Whipple Supercharger setup for $3,500. It's listed in Nampa, ID. I saw it and was thinking back to your RV...

Back