California End of Summer Run 2! | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

California End of Summer Run 2!

Yup, I knew it! I've got the full blown cold now - feel like crap :(

I'm going into "Big Baby" mode now (24hrs. in bed loaded with Nyquil).

Hopefully, I'll burn this crud out & be up for the run. My new plan is: I'll cross Thursday night & stay in LA. Then Friday morning, I'll pick up my buddy & head out about 11AM

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brother_of_Jefe said:
My two boys and I were at the Scout Camp on Dinky Creek Rd during the last week in June. I did a little "scouting" around, but didn't have the map book so I wasn't sure what I was looking for. (Of course, I could have stopped and asked one of the 200 J**pers I saw driving around)
I like your avatar; "moments before the rollover shot"
So what your saying is we camp where the map says... :p :confused:
We are heading out at 0600 hours Thursday morning.

CG said:
Yup, I knew it! I've got the full blown cold now - feel like crap :(

I'm going into "Big Baby" mode now (24hrs. in bed loaded with Nyquil).

Hopefully, I'll burn this crud out & be up for the run. My new plan is: I'll cross Thursday night & stay in LA. Then Friday morning, I'll pick up my buddy & head out about 11AM
Get better and come wheelin'

BKennedy said:
Get better and come wheelin'

10PM & I'm leaving to cross the border now. I ran a fever most of the day but seem to be getting better.

If I'm up for it tomorrow, we'll be leaving about 11AM If not, I'll head to the Dr. in LA & see what's up :(

CG said:
10PM & I'm leaving to cross the border now. I ran a fever most of the day but seem to be getting better.

gotta take it easy on that Mexican water!!! :eek:

Josh S. said:
gotta take it easy on that Mexican water!!! :eek:

Yeah, I’m down for the count. Woke up with a fever today & went to the doc. & now I’m heading home, tail between my legs. I hate being sick in the summer; it’s just miserable.

It’s not the water down there that gets me anymore, it’s the kids…one of them is always coming home with a runny nose or a sore stomach. What makes me crazy is they get sick for maybe a day & when I catch it; I’m out for a week. So unfair… :(

I was really looking forward to getting up to the mountains, its been so hot down south. The good thing is I got all my camping stuff off the boat & I’m hoping to head up there next weekend, go fishing & check out the trails…

tdavis said:
How well does cell service work up there?

I got a call from brian today. He said he was on dinkey creek rd and the signal was strong. I bet if you need to catch him on teh cell you probably could. Have fun everyone, we are hitting dusy next weekend with Tracys jeep :D

Wow! just rolled in. We had a blast! Hopefully Jefe will post the pics when he gets unpacked.

I'm home.

The zuk is in worse shape than I thought - I bent the rear springs in just 2 freaking trips! (Rubicon and Swamp).

Between the front passenger leaf hanger breaking, the fracking rear leaf springs bending (or not flexing at all), and the new motor, time for some drastic action.

I did have fun, especially when the zuk pulled Brian's truck out of that hole.

Looks like you guys had more fun than I did this weekend. I've been sick in bed playing Halo on the laptop. I did follow you along the trail in Google Earth though... :D

Attachments

• swamp.jpg
    swamp.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 223

Got home a few hours ago. Rig ran straighter with the redneck alignment than what I had done at the shop. Started pulling to the right bad when in Fresno on 168. Took an exit to see what the heck happened and my right front tire was going flat. It was leaking where the valve stem contacts the rim. Changed the tire in the 100 degree heat, and the rest of the trip was uneventfull. My tranny is still not the same, got to see about the 700R4. Had a great time, and great Pics Jefe

Brian - look up a d300 flip kit, teralow 4:1 gear set.

Basically, get a d300, flip it, get a 4:1 gear set, and presto - cheapo than an Atlas II, but stronger than the stock tcase. Also give you low gears, and twin sticks (for high/low and 2wd/4wd/neutral).

And it bolts right up the 700r4, no adapters needed, assuming you get the right output splines.

made it home last night, had a blast. Glad the redneck alignment worked for you, now i need to work on my truck. it pulls to the right really bad, and the front looks shifted that way. oh well. time to start rebuilding.

carnage list i have found so far.
-bent transmission crossmember, tranny hitting the body now.
-radius arm mounting brackets trashed. bent and beaten so bad they are pushing the exhaust Y up and rattling.
-front steering stabilizer smashed.
-RH center body mount smashed up into body. :confused:
-nearly ripped passenger side mirror off.
-smacked both bumpers.
-and, the front end is crooked? either a beam or mount is bent, i cant tell by eyeballing it.
-passenger rear spring bent, i think i backed into a rock.

later
joshua

So, what, we ran the trail in about seven hours? 11am-6pm -minus the 1 1/2 hour lunch break and repair stop, and the two other stops - that probably makes it more like 5 hours. We were definitely running it faster than the group of j**ps we passed . . twice.

tdavis said:
Brian - look up a d300 flip kit, teralow 4:1 gear set.

Basically, get a d300, flip it, get a 4:1 gear set, and presto - cheapo than an Atlas II, but stronger than the stock tcase. Also give you low gears, and twin sticks (for high/low and 2wd/4wd/neutral).

And it bolts right up the 700r4, no adapters needed, assuming you get the right output splines.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, What?? Oh, wait you are talking transfer cases. Yes, if I change out the tranny, I am going to do the transfer case too. That sounds like a good alternative to an Atlas.

BKennedy said:
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, What?? Oh, wait you are talking transfer cases. Yes, if I change out the tranny, I am going to do the transfer case too. That sounds like a good alternative to an Atlas.

And, from what I can tell, going this route is only cost of d300 + 4.0 gear set. The flip kit is close to the same cost as the 700r4 adapter to the stock transfer case..

tdavis said:
And, from what I can tell, going this route is only cost of d300 + 4.0 gear set. The flip kit is close to the same cost as the 700r4 adapter to the stock transfer case..
Where are you finding all this stuff?? Buying a 700R4, the adapters and the D300 transfer case, sounds cheaper than the cost of rebuilding my stock transmission. And, I would end up with a solid drive train to boot. Have to put the SAS on the back burner for awhile though.

I looked on ebay and could not find that compressor you told us about. Can I get a little help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BKennedy said:
I looked on ebay and could not find that compressor you told us about. Can I get a little help?

PM'd you.

You don't have much choice on doing the work on the transmission.

Back